Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bahia de Los Angeles airport closed
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 02:38 PM
Bahia de los Angeles runways

Just north of town... the La Gringa road is curving around the runways, on the right.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 02:51 PM
High look

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 02:58 PM

i think the point here is that Galen's FlyBaja has not been updated since publication and therefore is so long out of date (1997) so as to not be a reliable source anymore. And BBP's page on PP is from 2001.

i had heard the town's name before - probably several with the same moniker - much as there are more than one San Juanicos - but not as associated with an airport. Airmech answered my Q quickly - i was too lazy to go pull a book from my libarry.:lol::lol:
i'm surprized i never saw it from the air but usually in that vicinity i am going N or S and close to the shore.
nice pics. the one of BOLA is much out of date as the feds shack isn't shown.

don't land there yet anybody!! cuidado.:o

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 03:40 PM
On a 1975 map...

Here see 'Punta Prieta' on Highway One (red line) just south of the L.A. Bay highway (also red) jcn. 'Parador Punta Prieta'.

The paved airport at Punta Prieta was built at the same time as the Guerrero Negro paved runway and the Rancho Santa Ynez paved runway... back at the end of 1973 when Highway One was being completed.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 08:59 AM

wonder who's paying to keep the Prieta strip licensed?
such is the level of inconsistancies in Mexico processes.
it likely isn't officially open either but no one uses it so no one cares.

it's like Bahia tortuga - that strip has been officially "closed" for years according to DGAC and you can't file to it from San Felipe or Mexicali. They even tell you to file for someplace else close, like GN, and then it's wink wink.
what a country.... the only reason they're making a big deal over BOLA including the punitive threats is because they know someone is capable and will cough it up, $$s.
Punta Prieta must be a real joy in summer.:lol::lol::lol:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2009 at 09:02 AM

There is an army base at Punta Prieta, so the runway is well observed!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 10:01 AM

Okay, 'steekers' saw a note on BBP that L.A. Bay runway is again open for use... :o

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 12:30 PM
Note on BBP yesterday

Bay of LA Status - 1/7/2010

We have been advised that some Mexican AOE´s have been filing aircraft into Bay of LA. At the prompting of several of our members, Claudia made a series of calls to AOE´s in Northern Mexico and found that the Bay of LA closure NOTAM is still in effect with the exception that some permits are being issued for samaritan operations. They are date and aircraft specific and any request must be made thru the department of state tourism representative, a mayor, etc. These requests must be made to DGAC officials in Mexico and if they fall within the emergency guidelines, a temporary permit will be issued.
We understand that the same process is being used at El Fuerte.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 04:53 PM

"Okay, 'steekers' saw a note on BBP that L.A. Bay runway is again open for use... "

not true exactly - the BBP alert is just as he posted above - special permission only if/for humanitarian.
anybody else going in is taking chances - they have every right to enforce the DGAC notam if they choose to.... only a fool would knowingly risk confiscation and a huge fine/bribe to get your wings back....
i'd wait for the permit to be renewed unless i was with a group that got official ok. like the Sams chapter that runs the BOLA clinic.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 05:14 PM

Well, as you know... we non pilots/ non members can no longer see the BBP forums, so we rely on you to let us know... You quoted my post that was made BEFORE steekers added in the details of a special permit needed... I was just adding a common connection between the two threads...

There are two threads.. the original one announcing the closure and the second one that steekers started saying he saw on BBP it was open.

Debra only saw steekers new post and thought he was asking if there was an airport in Bahia, to which I tried to tell her it was a follow up to airmech's post.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2010 at 05:24 PM

I was told by the town that it was the military

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
wonder who's paying to keep the Prieta strip licensed?
such is the level of inconsistancies in Mexico processes.
it likely isn't officially open either but no one uses it so no one cares.

it's like Bahia tortuga - that strip has been officially "closed" for years according to DGAC and you can't file to it from San Felipe or Mexicali. They even tell you to file for someplace else close, like GN, and then it's wink wink.
what a country.... the only reason they're making a big deal over BOLA including the punitive threats is because they know someone is capable and will cough it up, $$s.
Punta Prieta must be a real joy in summer.:lol::lol::lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 08:39 AM

thx DK - not faulting you - just confirming steekers' info as best source pending mexican officialdom.....:spingrin:

rts551 - the military what?? pays the license? not hardly.
they have operational authority to sit on any strip licensed or not.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 11:42 AM

Is it possible that San Felipe people don't know that L.A. Bay is open (per Doc/ Debra). Too bad communication between government/ airport officials is so poor.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 08:43 AM

the comdancancia at SF airport gets his official listing of legal airports from DGAC (mex FAA) from Mexico City.
if an airport is listed as in default or closed they cannot write a flight plan to it as a destination.

if you go to it you're violating law technically. Enforcement is another issue.

airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 08:13 PM

Humor is where you find it......

A quote from my buddy that just went to BOLA

" after I landed (no, the F*^ airport is NOT open..) MMSF would not give me a flight plan...

Soon as I landed (after going west of town and staying away from the military area) I had a bad feeling so I started running to the short runway with just my backpack, within 5 min I heard a truck, so i dropped and crawled behind a berm...

They came and went up and down all runways in the truck like mad.... as they went out of sight I would keep running, I got almost to the road near daggetts and they saw me i did a slow move to make it look like I was walking down the road.

they stopped me (in a Baja Bush Pilot's hat, i might add) and asked me if I was the PILOTO, I said "No comprende" a bunch, they made hand signals to try to get me to understand and I played dumb... and asked them for a taxi ride in the truck, they said no and I got to your truck and went to town, came back on a bike a few hours later and grabbed my stuff.

HOLY S***..

And of course I got an email that the airport was OPEN from the BBP....

which, it apears, their site is totally down.... "

Ah well, I only wish I coulda watched....

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2010 at 09:27 AM

"And of course I got an email that the airport was OPEN from the BBP...."

un real.
wow.
i get all the BBP alerts by email too, i never got one i recall saying it was ever re opened after the notice of closure they sent out.

i'd love to hear more about how he got out of there and if they blocked his plane?

tgetty

[*] posted on 1-26-2010 at 05:20 PM

Jamie/Brian,

That is pretty funny, I just found my Bahia De Los Angeles story from a few weeks ago that I text'd to you posted here... LOL it was a bit scary, I have yet to see the military react that way, part of that was probably because of how fast they got to my plane and still couldn't intercept the pilot.. but definitely different then before, they searched for over an hour all over the airport property and connecting trails and roads.

I just called down to MMSF commandante, they are not filing flight plans to BOLA still, CLOSED CLOSED is the word he used, (We are donating a computer there for all pilots to use to update eAPIS/Flight plans on the US Side) So we have dialog continuing around the internet connection etc.

I talked to a few Gringo's at Daggetts and they said the Military knows it is closed but they are not really hassling people, just checking for drugs etc. I hope that is true, would love to hear someone else post an actual encounter with the 5 Ton truck, 15 folks and a few big truck mounted mini guns.... -g, oh, and take off your Baja Bush Pilots hat if you b-line it to the road to act like you are walking.

My best,

--775.434.8769 24/7

SPoT OK set to ok@incsafe.com
SPoT HELP set to findme@incsafe.com

rideplan@incsafe.com - maps, pictures, blog links, forums, details on the ride... whatever you have.

File a "ride plan" with us for extra protection, we follow you along as you report OK via spot, if you have an issue, the more information we have the easier it will be to help you.

Quote:
Originally posted by airmech
Humor is where you find it......

A quote from my buddy that just went to BOLA

" after I landed (no, the F*^ airport is NOT open..) MMSF would not give me a flight plan...

Soon as I landed (after going west of town and staying away from the military area) I had a bad feeling so I started running to the short runway with just my backpack, within 5 min I heard a truck, so i dropped and crawled behind a berm...

They came and went up and down all runways in the truck like mad.... as they went out of sight I would keep running, I got almost to the road near daggetts and they saw me i did a slow move to make it look like I was walking down the road.

they stopped me (in a Baja Bush Pilot's hat, i might add) and asked me if I was the PILOTO, I said "No comprende" a bunch, they made hand signals to try to get me to understand and I played dumb... and asked them for a taxi ride in the truck, they said no and I got to your truck and went to town, came back on a bike a few hours later and grabbed my stuff.

HOLY S***..

And of course I got an email that the airport was OPEN from the BBP....

which, it apears, their site is totally down.... "

Ah well, I only wish I coulda watched....

All things riding, racing, flying and rescue in Baja

--Troy
--Baja Rescue
--tgetty@incsafe.com
--775.434.8769 24/7

www.findmespot.com
SPoT OK set to ok@incsafe.com
SPoT HELP set to findme@incsafe.com

Forward your trip plan to rideplan@incsafe.com, we will have your back and might even be around there somewhere......
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.