Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sourh Fork of the Stanislaus
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:35 AM

Your son is lucky to have a father/pal that shares and values fishing trips.

Funny how your offspring turns out. My dad saturated me with countless trips to the Kern Plateau and the John Muir Trail to the point of rediculous.

Looking back though it's interesting because while I did/do love to fish, my sons could care less. Maybe that's because the beauty and freedom of space, beauty and privacy here in Oregon are a common and abundant thing. Not like SoCal.

I think most people take their surruondings for granted and fail to look beyond the fence. You are a good dad/pal to show him what's on the other side.

Thanks for sharing your poignant photos.

A real shame the dams halted the salmon runs.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:38 AM

On saving photos, slides, images.....

Awhile back I had a massive computer crash and for awhile it seemed that each and every one of my Baja photos was lost. Tore up my heart, it did.... brought lots of tears.

With some cash outflow and the assistance of someone with special expertise, those photos were regained. Since that time I back up all my photos.... once to a large computer drive and once again to dvd. The best are stored to a paid photo storage site.

I no longer care if all images are sorted before storing. If sorting is necessary, I'm sure to have some of my older old age to do that. Right now I find it important to be able to go back and look at those images, just the way we used to enjoy slide shows shown on a sheet hung on the wall or an exploration through the box of old family pictures.

My mother recently passed. Those pix of her growing up years and of my years with her brought up so many memories, were so much fun to see again. I think I'll continue to save even those images I consider 'snapshots'. They show 'how things were'.... which most often brings a smile to my heart.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:30 PM

Sonora Pass. Brings back many memories. I have ridden my bicycle up Sonora Pass many times, both solo and with my wife on our tandem, from Murphys. Quite difficult.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 04:12 PM

couldn't agree more Natalie Ann, good you got yours back...:):)

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
On saving photos, slides, images.....

Awhile back I had a massive computer crash and for awhile it seemed that each and every one of my Baja photos was lost. Tore up my heart, it did.... brought lots of tears.

With some cash outflow and the assistance of someone with special expertise, those photos were regained. Since that time I back up all my photos.... once to a large computer drive and once again to dvd. The best are stored to a paid photo storage site.

I no longer care if all images are sorted before storing. If sorting is necessary, I'm sure to have some of my older old age to do that. Right now I find it important to be able to go back and look at those images, just the way we used to enjoy slide shows shown on a sheet hung on the wall or an exploration through the box of old family pictures.

My mother recently passed. Those pix of her growing up years and of my years with her brought up so many memories, were so much fun to see again. I think I'll continue to save even those images I consider 'snapshots'. They show 'how things were'.... which most often brings a smile to my heart.

nena

I went through the exact same thing Nena. Hard drive took a dump. I was panicked because only about 10% of my photos are on Smugmug. I enlisted our IT guy at work and many pesos later I got them all back. I started with external hard drives myself, but unfortuneatly they take a dump also.

Offsite backup is what I have found to be the answer for me. Several companies are out there I use Carbonite, at $55 per year it is continually backing up your computer without any prompts and will painlessly transfer all files into a new computer when your current one dies, which it will!

Losing digital file/pictures doesn't have to happen and the solutions arn't really that expensive.

Ken

Now organizing pictures allready taken.......................maybe after I retire.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

Looking back though it's interesting because while I did/do love to fish, my sons could care less. Maybe that's because the beauty and freedom of space, beauty and privacy here in Oregon are a common and abundant thing. Not like SoCal.

Sharks, I think (am pretty sure) it's a genetic thing.

Like obssesive compulsive behavior. Like being able to smoke casually while others get hooked.

Alex isn't particularly predisposed to fishing, either. He doesn't have the fishing bug as bad as I did, or baitcast, or pescador. You can tell from reading the posts who have it. Juan Arce has it and it's obvious when you talk to the man.

There are people who won't stop for sandwich while fishing. They'll pick up the rod between bites. I would often go out in my boat in baja and not be aware of the day until 5PM or so. Never even think of eating lunch. Time just stood still. All else is blocked out.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.