BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: In Search of Color---too late.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 01:52 PM

I knew Barry would chime in. That Owens Valley is his territory.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wonderful pics, taken in great places. We have spent many a night in the CLOWN MOTEL in Tonapah, always fun, (and cheapppp).

I could indentify with all roads except your alternate road over Conway Summit-------that one caused me to run to the maps. I will see if I can figure out just where it is.

I am taking off tomorrow morning for Owens Valley via Susanville, then south on 395, to where my son lives in Independence--------I love that place!!

Thanks Diane.

Barry

Wish we were going back up! Careful, it is cold now---not that Imperial Valley weather you used to like. :-)

About that road---look for the dirt road turn off to Green Creek about 10 miles +/_ south of Bridgeport. This time we did not go all the way to Green Creek, but took the south fork----it comes out on the Virginia Lakes road at the top of the summit. Great country back in there----but not a good winter road. :-)

We did not have our Forest Service Map with us---just followed with our memory and what seemed like the correct way to go.

Now if Tonopah would only get some better places to eat. As the motel guy said, it is not know for the food. But someone bought the old hotel and may re-open the restaurant there. Mexican Restaurant was not too bad.

Have a great trip----Owens Valley is special and so many people just speed through it.

Diane

[Edited on 12-1-2009 by DianaT]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 02:39 PM

I found the "alternate" Conway Summit road on my USFS map------had not noticed it before even tho have been up to Green lakes and the Virginia lakes (long ago)--------strange I did not pick up on it, but then I am strange!! :biggrin: We will definitely check it out next summer.

We are going to spend Christmas in Independence, with much of my family, so hope to explore some of the mining roads in the Inyo Mts. then with the 3-4x4's that my kids have, and I will take mine too to rescue them when they get stuck.

Desert Cold is good (dry)------ocean cold is bad (wet)--------oceans are next to the "lands of the soggy toothbrush", as my Uncle used to call them. Not good!!! Brrrrrrrr.

Barry
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:15 PM

Diane - you should have stopped by our marina and checked out the trees around our parking lot.

I think the world is run by C- students.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:18 PM
BMG

Oh,
Those are real pretty---thanks for sharing them. Especially like the first and last one---good job and very pretty trees.

I will say, however, Aspens in the mountains will always be my favorites------I guess it goes with my love for the Eastern Sierra

But we also look forward to seeing the two of you---soon, we hope.

Diane

[Edited on 12-1-2009 by DianaT]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:19 PM

Was that Lee Vining Creek, Diane?

It somehow looked familiar.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Was that Lee Vining Creek, Diane?

It somehow looked familiar.

No, it is Bishop Creek near Lake Sabrina. Beautiful creeks everywhere up there.

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:24 PM

BMG.... Now that's some great autumn color. Next year I'm skipping the Sierras and coming to your parking area.;D:biggrin:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 03:39 PM

I think I took this picture of an old truck in Goldfield. It was in the Panamint Valley of DV Park.

It's great to see political adversaries talking friendly on this thread.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 04:01 PM

Quote:

OH heck, Barry and I agree on a few political issues---but we also have had several very good conversations about travel. :biggrin:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
BMG.... Now that's some great autumn color. Next year I'm skipping the Sierras and coming to your parking area.;D:biggrin:

nena

Careful---he might start a new business venture and charge admission to his parking lot. :yes::dudette:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 04:32 PM

I have a special affinity for the back range of the Sierra. In 1967, while attending college in New York, two of my friends and I decided to use spring break to see the country. In the day, there were companies that would relocate your vehicle. Driveaway car companies. We contracted to take some fellow's ten year old Chevy across country from Long Island to Beverly Hills. Trust me on this in that we had an amazing number of very interesting experiences, considering that this gentleman's ten year old Chevy refused to start. (for another thread). Point is that once on the West coast, we got into contact with a driveaway car company on Wilshire that was part owned by a guy who was Bill Cosby's agent. I won't go not details here and now but as a result of that contact, I had my first close encounter with the Sierra. We drove from BH to Reno overnight, encountering ten foot high snow walls along 395. It was, after all January. Still remember that Waffle House on the way up. A bit of warmth and heaven. Although the "facilities" were out back and dammm cold.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 04:38 PM

Fabulous Diane!! That is a fascinating part of the world and nobody has ever captured it better. Just loved your photos and commentary. ++Ken++

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 05:09 PM

Bajahowodd----that would make a great story, I am sure.

Ken,
Yes---so much to do and see in that special part of the world.

One of my best memories is of our last major backpacking trip from the end of Highway 168 in the mountains out of Fresno, and ending on the Beginning of Highway 168 on the other side in the mountains outside of Bishop (North Lake)---amazing trip and wilderness, and so glad that Highway 168 was never completed.

But on that trip, the small automatic film camera ended up in a stream.

Thanks for looking
Diane

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 07:12 PM

Real nice.

Thanks for the tour!

No worries
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Awe-inspiring scenery, Diane. Who says there nothing worth seeing in the USA.

Dennis,

Dern was just saying the same thing as I scrolled down to your post.

Thank you very much Diane for taking us on a field trip to see our country's treasures. I'd love to visit myself, but I'd have to give up time in Baja to do so! Our spare time is so limited, where do we start our bucket list?

Beautiful photos!

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 09:29 PM

Curt and Paulina, THANKS

Paulina, when I spotted the junk art cars in Goldfield, and convinced John they were worth turning around to see, you popped into my mind. I thought they were something you would also enjoy seeing. :yes:

Both of the Californias are great places to travel.

Diane

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by DianaT]

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 10:06 PM

Diana,

I actually spent some time on those photos, taking in all the treasures, the artistc flair that those vehicles represented. Now that's yard art! You do have a sense of my style. Thank goodness for Dern, or my yard(s) would be out of control.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:13 PM

What a great report and your pics are VERY good. The Eastern Sierras and Death Valley are my favorite places after Baja. I always find myself torn betwixt the two. Awesome.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
I think I took this picture of an old truck in Goldfield. It was in the Panamint Valley of DV Park.

Pretty sure that's in Ballarat....Looks like Manson's old truck with the stars painted on the roof inside??
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.