Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lock Up Your Stuff While Away
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 08:12 AM
Lock Up Your Stuff While Away

In "4-Wheel Parts Xmas issue" they are selling a product called "ToyLok"...it's on the DrawTite website. It is a retractable cable with an eye on the end of the cable for a lock. The cable is about 15' long and you snake it through your stuff and lock the end either to the vehicle, to the cable or back to an eye at the cable box. I have seen them mounted on toyhaulers. I plan to mount mine on my toyhauler on the "door" side. In baja it comes in handy when we leave our trailer for kayaking at a remote beach and our chairs, tables, 5-gal containers, inflatable, bikes etc. are sitting at the trailer unattended. Cable and eye are pretty beefy...it sells for about $50-60 right now. They make another similiar one for about $150 that includes a welded steel housing.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 08:25 AM

Years back there was a rash of early morning thefts at El Requeson and other nearby beaches.
Gas cans were high on the list of stolen items.

I took a 5 gallon can and purposely left it sitting about 10' away from our camper.
I tied some 100 lb test mono through the handle and to a buried anchor below the can.
2 mornings later, I heard the "bandito" trip and cuss when he tried to pick up the can on the run !
Something about waking up the dogs must have made them hurry away ! :lol:

Another camper filled an old gas can with seawater and a little gas and left it to be stolen; it was. :lol:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Years back there was a rash of early morning thefts at El Requeson and other nearby beaches.
Gas cans were high on the list of stolen items.

I took a 5 gallon can and purposely left it sitting about 10' away from our camper.
I tied some 100 lb test mono through the handle and to a buried anchor below the can.
2 mornings later, I heard the "bandito" trip and cuss when he tried to pick up the can on the run !
Something about waking up the dogs must have made them hurry away ! :lol:

Another camper filled an old gas can with seawater and a little gas and left it to be stolen; it was. :lol:

That's beautiful!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 09:38 AM

I once lived in a neighborhood where my things were coming up missing, so I left out a 5 gal gas can with a couple of cups of sugar mixed in. Sure enough, a couple of days latter, I awoke to my next door neighbor grinding away trying to start his car to no avail. When I walked over and suggested that maybe the problem was bad gas, the look on his face was priceless.
Casey67
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja Hot

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I once lived in a neighborhood where my things were coming up missing, so I left out a 5 gal gas can with a couple of cups of sugar mixed in. Sure enough, a couple of days latter, I awoke to my next door neighbor grinding away trying to start his car to no avail. When I walked over and suggested that maybe the problem was bad gas, the look on his face was priceless.

Truly priceless! :)

I picked up a similar 15' cable lock for $42 to keep my gas cans and such from disappearing from my rooftop cargo tray while I'm down. I don't think you need to spend too much on these unless you're locking up something extremely valuable since you can only really deter quick casual theft. Anybody who comes equipped to steal your stuff is going to get it no matter how much you spend on the cable lock.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/TowingTrailers/...
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 12:13 PM

Many years ago, about 35 I think, an airplane was stolen from the Serinadad airstrip. It was a twin Aztec, a favorite then of drug runners, and 2 criminals from the mainland heisted it one morning. The owner had foreseen such a theft and had the fuel line fitted with a cutoff switch...and he thought this would stymy any theft attempt.

Wrong. Crooks are determined to be crooks.

Unfortunately for these airplane thieves, they did manage to start the engines after breaking into the aircraft an hour before dawn, take off, and had begun their east turn over the mountains towards Guaymas...and then lost power and altitude as the available fuel in the lines sputtered out.

The huge explosion and fireball just 50 feet shy of the mountain's summit woke up the entire town of Mulege. The police and ambulance crew packed down the remains of the two crooks in black zippered bags.

Stealing can be dangerous.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.