BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Not Baja.........but where?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 02:44 PM
Not Baja.........but where?

The discussion of how many places in the US remind us of Baja made my think of some of my pictures which I think apply.

Locations listed at the bottom in order.

Mono Lake, Panamint Valley, Bad Lands (So Dakota), Lake Powell, Lake Powell, Lee Vining, Huntington Gardens

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by tripledigitken]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 03:09 PM

I had 2 right, Lake Powell and Lake Powell. Great pics ken.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:22 PM

Ken,

I have a picture of that truck in Lee Vining. That's amazing. I didn't think anyone else paid attention to that hunk of junk. As I recall it was next to a museum or the post office on the east side of the highway. Didn't Bonnie and Clyde use something like that? Couldn't be. They were into Fords as I recall.

Neat pictures. My favorite is of the garden. Didn't realize how beautiful S. Dakota was.

Thx,
Igor

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by Skipjack Joe]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Ken,

I have a picture of that truck in Lee Vining. That's amazing. I didn't think anyone else paid attention to that hunk of junk. As I recall it was next to a museum or the post office on the east side of the highway. Didn't Bonnie and Clyde use something like that? Couldn't be. They were into Fords as I recall.

Neat pictures. My favorite is of the garden. Didn't realize how beautiful S. Dakota was.

Thx,
Igor

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

You are correct same truck! As I recall it was donated by a local long time resident. (not a bank robber):lol:

The South Dakota area from the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills and on to Deadwood is an awesome are to visit!

Ken

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:33 PM

Lake Powell is a real sleeper!! If a person enjoys getting truly lost and does not want any contact with people, this is a good place to go in the Fall. Take your boat and tootle off to one of many immense side canyons and go for a hike. Usually sunny days 65 to 75 degrees and quite cool nights. More spectactular scenery is hard to find anywhere. ++C++:):)
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Lake Powell is a real sleeper!! If a person enjoys getting truly lost and does not want any contact with people, this is a good place to go in the Fall. Take your boat and tootle off to one of many immense side canyons and go for a hike. Usually sunny days 65 to 75 degrees and quite cool nights. More spectactular scenery is hard to find anywhere. ++C++:):)

Crusoe,

Your are right. We took a hike up a side canyon to search out an Anasazi Site....Defiance House

Dwelling and ladder to Kiva (same structure as in above photo)

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 04:48 PM

Ken-- Thanx for the pics. I have been there. Completely mind blowing. The silence. And to think, the Anasazzi were able live in spots like that in complete silence and in tune with the land for 7 thousand years is even more mind blowing. ++C++ :yes:
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 07:50 PM

I love those Anasazi site pix, Ken. The reds of that rock capture my soul.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 09:17 PM

I recognized the Badlands, though I've only been there once, almost 10 years ago.

Lake Powell is beautiful too. We saw it for the first time last summer, just driving through at sunset. I'm reading Sandstone Seduction by Katie Lee. She was a river runner through Glen Canyon in the '50's, and adamantly opposed the dam that turned it into Lake Powell She's still angry to this day about what was lost, and still wants the dam removed and the canyon restored to it's natural state. She was a Baja traveler too, before the highway.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 10:08 PM

Those are gorgeous. I was going to choose a favorite but i can't decide. Something grabbed me about #3- the ears I think. I'd like to be in #4 and 5, and #7 is excites me with the gardening possibilities.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-2-2009 at 10:30 PM

Great photos Ken - love the Badlands photo most of all...

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 02:45 AM

Paula,

If you get a chance again to visit Lake Powell again try to get out on the water. Even if you take the tour (3-4hr) to Rainbow Bridge, from Wahweap marina the tour isn't too expensive and is a great way to experience the lake without your own boat.

Oladuce thank you for the comments.

Baja Gringo,

I didn't think I would capture those Mule Deer. I pulled over got out my camera, put on the telephoto lens (they were quite a distance), thinking they would bolt at any time. But no, they just stood there and stared at me. Here's the same area a few minutes away. It's a really pretty part of the world.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 09:11 AM

Beautiful, just beautiful. My favorites are the one with the deer in the badlands, and the last two you posted----but they are all great.

I think that maybe it is the open empty spaces with the shapes and colors that draw some of us to love the west, and so much of that is also in Baja.

As a small child, I remember going out to Hesperia---when it was a wide open desert---with my father to shoot and kill bottles and tin cans. Yes, that part was not good, but he always said that the desert reminded him of his home on the prairie in South Dakota, especially at night.

So now, when we drive to the east coast, we are always happy to return to the west----love driving across the prairies of North or South Dakota and Eastern Montana. And Highway 50 in Nevada is one of our favorites.

Thanks for sharing those photos

Diane

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 09:21 AM

Thanks Diana.

We love the open spaces of the West also. When we lived in the Seattle area after living in So Cal all my life we found ourselves driving east over the Mtns. for that very reason. Living in the trees was a totally different experience for me, and I found that I missed those vistas I was so used to.

Ken
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 09:17 PM

The badland pictures are interesting, Ken. The first, more than those that follow.
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 11:12 PM

3Dken~
when you visited the dry side of WA state, where did you go?

Lovely vistas all around, many along the Columbia with the rock striations as in the lovely photos.

thanks for sharing~
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 11:37 PM

I can't believe how good your pictures are getting.

What an inspiration, hopefully I'll have enough time to figure out how to turn the dial past "auto" and have something worthy of posting too.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2009 at 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
3Dken~
when you visited the dry side of WA state, where did you go?

Lovely vistas all around, many along the Columbia with the rock striations as in the lovely photos.

thanks for sharing~

BajaNuts,

First off we enjoyed the Mexican Food over on that side!! We went to Grand Coolely Dam, Spokane, Sandpoint, The Gorge along the Columbia, Roslyn (town where Northern Exposure was filmed) and particulary liked Bonners Ferry.

Ken

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by tripledigitken]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 08:54 AM

Only got Mono Lake and the Badlands. When we visited the Badlands, man was it cold and windy!! Fantastic photos!
Thanks, Bob H
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-3-2010 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Ken-- Thanx for the pics. I have been there. Completely mind blowing. The silence. And to think, the Anasazzi were able live in spots like that in complete silence and in tune with the land for 7 thousand years is even more mind blowing. ++C++ :yes:

Ditto's, plus, the area has something, a feel ... or, it may be just the silence

Thanks for all .. just super

:):)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.