Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: THERE'S AN ANTELOPE ON OUR BEACH II
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 06:43 AM
THERE'S AN ANTELOPE ON OUR BEACH II

Nomads: As in the case of my Assualt on Asuncion, I'm re-posting this thread. Opie destroyed the original. (Original poster inept error.) The hero of this story is my friend, Joe, who threatened me with gulag if I did not get it back up. So here it is...back again ..like the Plague. :rolleyes:

THERE'S AN ANTELOPE ON OUR BEACH II

Have you met my good friend, Joe? Maybe some of you will recall him from this photo..playing his guitar at my birthday party a mi casa in Coyote Bay.

This is a story of what brought Joe to my door a few days ago.

But before I begin the tale I should tell you a bit about Joe. He's a Baja fan like us, and a genuine nice guy. He built a cliffside home in the Bay many years ago, which his family enjoys immensely..boating, fishing, diving, and sailing. Joe (Josef), among many other accomplishments, is a seasoned blue-water sailor & whitewater kayaker and knows more about sailing and boats than anyone I know. A former whitewater-kayak slalom champion from Czechslovakia, he owns a US kayak company that designs and builds excellent whitewater & seagoing kayaks. Joe's exactly the opposite of your common couch potato. He has mountains of energy. With his charming wife and their two strapping sons, he takes adventure trips often, and I do mean ADVENTURE.

A couple years ago, the family wanted to go to Alaska. So..how to go? Fly commercial? Naw. Road trip up the Alcan Highway like most families? Naw. Pampered sea cruise on a luxury liner? Naw. No, Joe decided the family would do a sea-coast camping trip from Bellingham, Washington to Skagway, Alaska. They did the Inland Passage..more than 1000 miles through a maze of islands and straits...in 2 - 12ft. Zodiacs. Now try to imagine that trip. The idea thrills me, cuz I've done a couple 'different' trips like that myself. So set me up, Joe - for the next trip, wherever you're going.

About the only time you'll see Joe sitting still is when he's playing jazz guitar with buddies in San Diego's Gaslamp ...or hammering you on the chess board. I sheepishly remember that day years ago when I smugly told Joe I knew the game...sigh. His mind is razor sharp and his stamina for creating and completing projects is legion. All in all, Joe's one of those guys that really can "...build a shopping center with a Q-tip and pocketknife." Remember that scene from the movie, Seven Days-Seven Nights?

Being a year or so younger than Joe, he taught me a Czech saying about age and friendships

Over there, an older friend says to a younger friend.."You can shine my shoes."

...?? well Hey, it's a Czech thing.

So now you know something about Joe...and it sets the scene for what happens next.....

My story unfolds on this fine day when Joe stops by and tells me that he wants to rescue his storm-careened sloop, Springbok.

DAS BOOT!

The poor gal was blown ashore here in Coyote Bay after suffering a broken anchor chain in Hurricane Jimena..and then rocking in the crashing waves, she was beat like a Missouri mule.

Well, co-pilot and I had to walk on down the beach to the scene of this tragedy... to inspect the situation thoroughly...give it some weighty & concerned thought...be supportive and straightforward with suggestions...

..and mostly......to think of How to gently tell Joe his kaput Springbok may have sprung her last.

She looked like a gone goose. Even Gato the beach cat was trying to bury her. :rolleyes:

(Name explanations: 'Springbok' is, of course, a super-fast little African antelope and a great moniker for a small sailboat. Hey..coincidentally, since I started my excercise program of walking/trotting/stumbling along Coyote Bay every morning, I now also have a similar nickname..the Limping Gazelle. I do the whole 100 yards one-way..then whoever finds me carries me home.)

Being the man he is, Joe never looks back. Waving aside our sympathy, he assured us he was going to get Springbok back on it's mooring....period.

Now, Joe's got a most unusual and pleasing accent. I always love talking to him. It was a special moment listening to his plan on refloating the stranded boat. Best part was watching his hands explain the intricate rescue scenario he envisioned to the rest of us.

His enthusiasm was contagious...and we quickly signed on as Helper's.

Note: Always, always seek out experienced Helpers.
There are going to be some who just can't figure out the working end of a shovel.

Joe is now talking RAPID-fire..issueing instructions...prodding us on ....praising our efforts... we are all mesmerized.... brought together as a team...and galvanized by der leader into ACTION!

We are in awe and inspired to the max. The Master Plan is about to take place. Listen!...you can almost hear Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' in the background.

Joe gets the crew organized and assigns tasks according to our various skills. His accented voice rising above the sounds of winches, shovels and grunts...and some bottles opening.

I'm pretty sure that Joe said: "Tie boat to large rock to prevent grounding"..or was it grinding?.. "further up beach." Anyway, I found the rock..and tied it up.

(I may have overdone this part of Joe's instructions...but then again....This mooring could well have prevented the boat from being washed clear over the highway and into Boney's restaurant..which would have made an interesting conversation piece.)

Joe enlightens us on more of ...The Master Plan.

"Roger, you have big broads at your house? You must bring some."

"Hey Joe, you sure you want a 'broad'?..and best not talk too loud. Jeez, your wife is right over there."

"Now must take biggest broad in hands.. and shove hard under her bottom. Poosh in as far as you can."

We are now attracting some onlookers. A hot dog vendor and a jewelry salesman appear.

"Okay, now we hook now up all trucks with strong towlines and your diesel truck will pull pants off little Toyota I am positive. Springbok will slide on broads I greased. So go now to wait for signal."

"Roger, put down beer, please. We celebrate later with cold ones Bonnie brings."

"Yes! You see, we are moving just right. But now you are so strong with your Dodge you must wait until poor little Toyota catches up. You will switch places with little Toyota and pull like big bull."

"Roger, put down beer, please."

"Roger, you have won pulling contest against little Toyota and not even spilling your beer."

" Is good for today and tomorrow at one o'clock high tide floats Springbok. We pull with strong boats to anchorage. You will win again with big Mercury against my little outboard. I will be needing new transmission in little Toyota because now is smoking pretty good and smell like old shoes."

"Now put down beer, please and we have colder beers."

END OF FIRST DAY OF SPRINGBOK RESCUE. Joe's wife has the refreshments ready. "Roger, Pacifico time."

IT'S NOW NEXT DAY AT HIGH TIDE

It's the crack of noon... and our 3 tow boats are gathered together just offshore from the Springbok.

Me in mine, Joe in his, and Pablo with his buddy in their panga.

I'm in my newly acquired Trophy center console powered by a strong 125hp Merc outboard 2-S. Strong boat, strong motor.

Pompano is a wee bit hung over from the fun yesterday...but a READY skipper nevertheless.

I stand up....a little too quickly perhaps... catch & brace myself, and then look over at ...

Springbok sitting on the bottom in 3.1 feet of water and 125 feet from the shoreline, drawing exactly 5.1 feet down to her keel and now listing crazily to starboard.

Sizing all this up instantly, I motor up closer to things and ask Joe

"Well, what direction do you want her pulled, Joe old pal?"

He squints over at me for a few seconds, and then says..."Roger, put down beer, please. We need go offshore only. Don't move, you have backed with motor over towline. I untangle you. Then I hook up towline so you not fall overboard."

I do some careful manuevering to make things easier.

"Roger, put down beer, please. You must not pull towline until I tell you. You have now tangled my boat in towline. You do again I send you Russian front."

Now HERE is where Joe's brainpower and The Master Plan comes into play.

While Pablo and I keep tension on our lines and are ready to tow the grounded Springbok, Joe has tied his boat's towline to the top of the sailboat's mast...and motors ahead slowly...thus tipping the boat over more yet..and raising the keel off the bottom. EUREKA! SHE FLOATS!

Pablo and I push our throttles ahead...the props thrashing the water white....and WE MOVE THE SPRINGBOK AHEAD!

Come on, Pablo..we've got her moving now! Full throttle, amigo!!

"Roger, put down beer, please..and stop. Springbok is far enough. STOP!"

"Hear that, Pablo? Joe's says we are doing it! More gas!! Mas!..mas gasolina, amigo!"

"Roger, I cannot pull that much You must stop. I am sinking backwards. You will tear mast off boat CAN YOU HEAR ME?"

Pablo's panga and smaller outboard is not as strong as mine..and he is being pulled by the prop's torque closer to my starboard side.

Joe is yelling something, but the engine noise is too loud for me to pick out his accent.

"ROGER! CAN YOU HEAR ME? STOP! YOU ARE PULLING ME BACKWARDS. MAST! ROPE! WATER COMING IN!"

Well, my strong engine and sense of direction got the boat off the bottom and the Springbok is now floating free as a bird. Master Plan worked perfectly! I put my boat into neutral and shut down the motor to blissful silence...our job is done.

Joe is holding his hands to his ears and mumbling something in Czech here...I think he was counting?....can't really tell you what that's all about?

"Roger, dobry...good, you have done it. I don't kill you now. Dekuji my friend. You are now hero of Czech family."

"Neni zac, Josef..anytime. Anytime at all. "

"Care for a beer?"

AND THAT...IS HOW WE GOT THE ANTELOPE OFF OUR BEACH.

.............................................................................THE END...............................................................................

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 06:58 AM

you guys are haveing to much fun!!!!
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 11:46 AM

Gee, that was easy! Nice story, I need to have a brew now and relax - :yes:

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 12:56 PM

I was hoping this was going to be the sequel to the first installment. I'd like to know what happened with the boat since its rescue. Is he or she thankful? Has there been there a party on the boat since its rescue?

[Edited on 12/11/2009 by Packoderm]
nobaddays
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 01:36 PM

I love pictures of Baja Projects !
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 07:34 PM

Pompano, That is one fine rescue story. If it weren't for the photos I would have thought you'd made the entire thing up. Thanks for posting. It was an interesting and entertaining read.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 05:31 AM
Springbok Update

Starboard. Looking none the worse for wear, SPRINGBOK is safe on the hook in Coyote Bay.

Portside. Well, a little battle-scarring from her recent ordeal gives her character...until Joe can give her a makeover.

Per tradition

All the crew gets an extra share of grog..and IT'S PARTY TIME!

Okay, so I exaggerated the party scene a mite. We're not such party animals these days and some of the 'spring' has gone out of our 'bok'...sigh. Hey, anyone recognize old Baja crew members in that patio party from 1989?..this one was twenty years ago come Valentine's Day. We hosted...and hoisted... so many I had a 25% discount with the Pacifico trucks.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:08 AM

Roger....Why does that hull look like it's going downhill? Was it anchored tight at low tide?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Roger....Why does that hull look like it's going downhill? Was it anchored tight at low tide?

Dennis...I just asked Josef on the vhf. He said:

Dennis, budete mít pravdu .., nebo ne. Ceši jsou velmi zvláštní lidé. Jste jeden?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Dennis...I just asked Josef on the vhf. He said:

Dennis, budete mít pravdu .., nebo ne. Ceši jsou velmi zvláštní lidé. Jste jeden?

Oh...OK. Well...that explains it. Thanks, Roger and Josef. :lol:
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:40 PM

"Dennis, You may be right .. or not. Czechs are very special people. Are you one?"

possible translation~:?:

[Edited on 12-12-2009 by BajaNuts]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2009 at 08:51 PM

That seems right, Bajanuts.

Now that you've translated it, all the words seem to fall in place.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.