Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Open Pit Gold Mine in BCS, Todos Santos
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 10:35 AM
Open Pit Gold Mine in BCS, Todos Santos

This is a re-post of a request I received objecting to a proposed open pit mine in the mountains between El Triunfo and Todos Santos and asking help in writing to the government objecting to it. I agree with the writer and I am adding my voice to the protest. --

As many of you may know, Vista Gold mining company is seeking permission to develop a massive open pit gold mine at Paredones Amarillos in the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve above Todos Santos. This project will directly challenge our community. We are being asked to risk the regional aquifers, the turtle sanctuaries, the whale coastal feeding areas and our oasis. Please help protect Todos Santos and the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve. (For more information see: VistaGoldNo.com and ParedonesAmarillosNo.com

Paradones Amarillo mining company just filed for the change of zoning for the development of an open pit gold mine. Different government agencies are in the process of making a decision NOW. We need everyone to send letters to the federal and state agencies looking at this issue to express opposition to the project. Please help and get as many others to participate in this letter writing campaign. Take the following steps:
Copy the following email addresses and paste them into the “To:” line of your email.
isaias.gonzalez@congreso.gob.mx,
esthela.ponce@congreso.gob.mx,
victor.castro@congreso.gob.mx,
marcos.covarrubias@congreso.gob.mx,
francisco.meza@congreso.gob.mx,
fobregon@senado.gob.mx,
jcotac@senado.gob.mx,
luis.coppola@pan.senado.gob.mx,
c.secretario@semarnat.gob.mx,
comisionado@conanp.gob.mx,
mauricio.limon@semarnat.gob.mx,
delegado@bcs.semarnat.gob.mx,
bermudez@conanp.gob.mx,
eduardo.gonzalezh@semarnat.gob.mx
Send a copy to of your email to info@paredonesamarillosno.com or info@defiendelasierra.org so we can track your letters.
Copy the text of the letter. In the first line where it says “tu nombre” , put your name. Also put your name at the end of the letter. (For a translation of the letter see below)

Estimado Funcionario Público,
Le escribe (tu nombre), para decirle que me opongo al establecimiento de la mina de oro Paredones Amarillos, dentro de la Reserva de la Biósfera Sierra de la Laguna.

* Me opongo porque estoy convencido que el valor de la Sierra tal y como se encuentra es mayor que el valor del oro que se puede extraer de ella.

* Me opongo porque no me convence una inversión que durará 10 años frente a sus costos ambientales que durarán cientos.

* Me opongo porque estoy convencido de que es mejor inversión cuidar el agua que la Sierra de la Laguna provee a los sudcalifornianos, que aportar más oro para la industria de la joyería.

* Me opongo porque no creo que los cerca de 200 empleos (muchos de ellos para gente de otros estados) que se generarán, no justifican la destrucción de un ecosistema único en el Estado y el País.

* Finalmente, me opongo porque sé que, como país, tenemos que reconocer el valor de las Áreas Naturales Protegidas y respetar los motivos que llevaron a su creación.

Por estas y otras razones, le exijo respetuosamente que, como mi representante y como servidor público, tome las medidas que están a su alcance para evitar el establecimiento de la mina Paredones Amarillos en la Sierra de la Laguna.
Http://ParedoneAmarillosNo.com <http://paredonesamarillosno.com/>
Atentamente,
(Tu Nombre)

Send the email.
Pass this information on to as many other people you know who can help. Todos Santos needs your support NOW.

Translation:
Dear Public Official
I am writing, “YOUR NAME”, to tell you that I oppose the establishment of the gold mine known as Paredones Amarillos, within the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve.
- I oppose this project because I am convinced that the value of the Sierra de la Laguna is greater than the value of the gold that can be extracted form it.
- I oppose this mine because I am not convinced that an investment that will last 10 years is worth the environmental costs that will last for hundreds of years.
- I oppose the mine because I am convinced that it s better to invest in the water that the Sierra de la Laguna provides for the citizens of Baja California Sur than providing more gold for the jewelry industry.
- I oppose this mine because I do not believe that the 200 jobs (many of which will be fore people from other states) generated, cannot justify the destruction of an eco system that is unique in our state and in our nation.
- Finally, I oppose this mine because I know that, as a nation, we must recognize the value of the Protected Natural Areas and respect the reasons for which they were created.
Because of these and others reasons, I respectfully insist that as my representative and as a public servant, you take whatever measures are available to you to stop the establishment of the Paredoness Amarillos mine in the Sierra de la Laguna.
http://ParedonesAmarillosNo.com <http://paredonesamarillosno.com/>
Sincerely,
(YOUR NAME)
PLEASE ACT NOW AND PASS THIS ON TO OTHERS WHO WILL SUPPORT TODOS SANTOS.

VistaGoldNo.com and ParedonesAmarillosNo.com and Defiendelasierra.org
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 11:37 AM

["open pit gold mine at Paredones Amarillos in the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve above Todos Santos. This project will directly challenge our community. We are being asked to risk the regional aquifers, the turtle sanctuaries, the whale coastal feeding areas"]

How does the open pit mine in the mountains affect the turtle sanctuaries and whale coastal feeding areas?
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 11:51 AM

The area is the aquifer for the Todos Santos area. Any contamination from mining or the processing of ore will eventully find it way to the coast and possibly damage that area.

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by Paulclark]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 12:21 PM

'Possibly'... like it is posible a meteor will hit the beach and kill the turtles, too?

I am being funny, yes... but just a warning... If you are a non-Mexican citizen and get involved in politics, specially in matters against the desires of the Mexican people... it could cause your removal from Mexico.

There has been gold mining in Baja for two hundred years and silver mining in that area even longer (Real de Santa Ana)... I would hope that with today's environmental concerns and improvements in mining technology, the mines of today are far cleaner than the mines of 1800's. Since there were plenty of turtles after that 'dirty' mining period, I am going to just guess it had minimum effect on their well-being.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
'Possibly'... like it is posible a meteor will hit the beach and kill the turtles, too?

I am being funny, yes... but just a warning... If you are a non-Mexican citizen and get involved in politics, specially in matters against the desires of the Mexican people... it could cause your removal from Mexico.

There has been gold mining in Baja for two hundred years and silver mining in that area even longer (Real de Santa Ana)... I would hope that with today's environmental concerns and improvements in mining technology, the mines of today are far cleaner than the mines of 1800's. Since there were plenty of turtles after that 'dirty' mining period, I am going to just guess it had minimum effect on their well-being.

If DK is intimidating you in regard to your concerns about the health of the region and community then he is guilty of being an unauthorized foreigner affecting political change in Mexico and he should be the first to suffer negative consequences.

We have confronted DK before and he persists to threaten the well being of our community, frankly now these charges against him are set as its clear that his behaviour is having a negative affect on the health and freedom of the people and region by his threats of intimidation. Once before he suggested that we would be killed. By whom? DK?

On the other hand, people who are involved in the neighborhood and they do so as holder of FM-2 or FM-3 in good standing which DK is not than they are doing so with 100% protection of the law with all the rights and responsibilities due to such entities.

We have discussed this mining project before here on BN:

Key references were made to current studies of the negative impact of mining to the health of the people of the East Cape and La Paz due to pollution of the water table with arsenic from mining slurry. Examples are provided in the history of the Triunfo region.

Here are some references:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/2mblv6p7lldmbm4q/

http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/redalyc/pdf/568/56837104.pdf

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V73-4JFGF69-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_doca nchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1134054040&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=d65 c640d5d54b86b2da45598bbd8f062
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 12:42 PM

Previous thread which contains many salient points about the ability of the project managers to mitigate negative impact of gold mining and the likely level of significant pollution which would result to the water table in the region.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=39330#pid4260...
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 01:40 PM

First -- intimidation does not work as I hold dual citizenship. Secondly I grew up in a responsible mining community in Canada and they are still cleaning up the blight from a responsible, ecologically controlled mine 20 years after it closed. Here, where there is less oversight, the impact will be much greater for a minimal return. The leaching of groundwater is only one of the risks. Remove the vegetation from those hills and any large rainfall such as a hurricane dropping 45 inch of rain in 72 hours will test the best containment facilities. A better use for that area is low impact tourism which will bring many more years of retun to the community and the country.

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by Paulclark]
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
This is a re-post of a request I received objecting to a proposed open pit mine in the mountains between El Triunfo and Todos Santos and asking help in writing to the government objecting to it. I agree with the writer and I am adding my voice to the protest. --

As many of you may know, Vista Gold mining company is seeking permission to develop a massive open pit gold mine at Paredones Amarillos in the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve above Todos Santos. This project will directly challenge our community. We are being asked to risk the regional aquifers, the turtle sanctuaries, the whale coastal feeding areas and our oasis. Please help protect Todos Santos and the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve. (For more information see: VistaGoldNo.com and ParedonesAmarillosNo.com

Paradones Amarillo mining company just filed for the change of zoning for the development of an open pit gold mine. Different government agencies are in the process of making a decision NOW. We need everyone to send letters to the federal and state agencies looking at this issue to express opposition to the project. Please help and get as many others to participate in this letter writing campaign. Take the following steps:
Copy the following email addresses and paste them into the “To:” line of your email.
isaias.gonzalez@congreso.gob.mx,
esthela.ponce@congreso.gob.mx,
victor.castro@congreso.gob.mx,
marcos.covarrubias@congreso.gob.mx,
francisco.meza@congreso.gob.mx,
fobregon@senado.gob.mx,
jcotac@senado.gob.mx,
luis.coppola@pan.senado.gob.mx,
c.secretario@semarnat.gob.mx,
comisionado@conanp.gob.mx,
mauricio.limon@semarnat.gob.mx,
delegado@bcs.semarnat.gob.mx,
bermudez@conanp.gob.mx,
eduardo.gonzalezh@semarnat.gob.mx
Send a copy to of your email to info@paredonesamarillosno.com or info@defiendelasierra.org so we can track your letters.
Copy the text of the letter. In the first line where it says “tu nombre” , put your name. Also put your name at the end of the letter. (For a translation of the letter see below)

Estimado Funcionario Público,
Le escribe (tu nombre), para decirle que me opongo al establecimiento de la mina de oro Paredones Amarillos, dentro de la Reserva de la Biósfera Sierra de la Laguna.

* Me opongo porque estoy convencido que el valor de la Sierra tal y como se encuentra es mayor que el valor del oro que se puede extraer de ella.

* Me opongo porque no me convence una inversión que durará 10 años frente a sus costos ambientales que durarán cientos.

* Me opongo porque estoy convencido de que es mejor inversión cuidar el agua que la Sierra de la Laguna provee a los sudcalifornianos, que aportar más oro para la industria de la joyería.

* Me opongo porque no creo que los cerca de 200 empleos (muchos de ellos para gente de otros estados) que se generarán, no justifican la destrucción de un ecosistema único en el Estado y el País.

* Finalmente, me opongo porque sé que, como país, tenemos que reconocer el valor de las Áreas Naturales Protegidas y respetar los motivos que llevaron a su creación.

Por estas y otras razones, le exijo respetuosamente que, como mi representante y como servidor público, tome las medidas que están a su alcance para evitar el establecimiento de la mina Paredones Amarillos en la Sierra de la Laguna.
Http://ParedoneAmarillosNo.com <http://paredonesamarillosno.com/>
Atentamente,
(Tu Nombre)

Send the email.
Pass this information on to as many other people you know who can help. Todos Santos needs your support NOW.

Translation:
Dear Public Official
I am writing, “YOUR NAME”, to tell you that I oppose the establishment of the gold mine known as Paredones Amarillos, within the Sierra de la Laguna Biosphere Reserve.
- I oppose this project because I am convinced that the value of the Sierra de la Laguna is greater than the value of the gold that can be extracted form it.
- I oppose this mine because I am not convinced that an investment that will last 10 years is worth the environmental costs that will last for hundreds of years.
- I oppose the mine because I am convinced that it s better to invest in the water that the Sierra de la Laguna provides for the citizens of Baja California Sur than providing more gold for the jewelry industry.
- I oppose this mine because I do not believe that the 200 jobs (many of which will be fore people from other states) generated, cannot justify the destruction of an eco system that is unique in our state and in our nation.
- Finally, I oppose this mine because I know that, as a nation, we must recognize the value of the Protected Natural Areas and respect the reasons for which they were created.
Because of these and others reasons, I respectfully insist that as my representative and as a public servant, you take whatever measures are available to you to stop the establishment of the Paredoness Amarillos mine in the Sierra de la Laguna.
http://ParedonesAmarillosNo.com <http://paredonesamarillosno.com/>
Sincerely,
(YOUR NAME)
PLEASE ACT NOW AND PASS THIS ON TO OTHERS WHO WILL SUPPORT TODOS SANTOS.

VistaGoldNo.com and ParedonesAmarillosNo.com and Defiendelasierra.org

I know you folks are YouTubed-out but this video covers this incident I believe with PROFEPA sealing the mining company gate (along with the employees cars inside)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7RBd6Aw6qA

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 02:52 PM

Here is a report in English on the current illegal unpermitted ongoing mining operation and the destruction to historical buildings by the daily blasts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/yolistaak#p/u/16/62lud7Bmz_Y

and here the local news reports of violent attacks on local journalists

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by gnukid]

surebought
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 03:19 PM

If Mexico didn't have free speech then I would have been thrown out long ago. I don't think anyone of authority in Mexico cares at all about what anyone says about anything on this board. Sometimes its best to look out for your own interests. If I was a Gold Miner I would want to mine Gold. If I owned a Condo in Cabo I would want to protect my investment. But wait, the Gold Miner has a job. He has Seguro Social to pay. He is a substantial Tax Payer, He has to negociate the cost of his mining conscession every year. He has Families that depend on him. Small forgotten communities suddenly have a work. I wonder who is going to win this Battle LOL.

In a while the smile on my face turned to plaster.
Stick around while the clown who is sick, does the trick of disaster. Neil Young from Mr Soul.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 03:30 PM

This is not politics, its about the environment and property values, anybody has the right to express their opinion.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 04:56 PM

Jesse: This is one time I am going to disagree with you.

Theis is about peoples Lives! Just think about the number of people at the lower level that will benefit with "Food on the Table::.

!. It is not the :\"Business of any of the Enviro Nites of the States or Canadains. It is the people of mesicaos Business/

Some of the these "Global World Envior Nuts" do not have the Brains God promised a new Born burro!.

They say" save this and that so our Grandchildern will be able to see it""..What about the people of Today who are making their living on Todays,barly skiming along. Do you think they are worried about their Grandchidren "Seeing the Tourism of Cabo 50 years from Now"

So many of you Nuts call for Mexzico to use it's natrual Resourses then when they do you go Ape-Poop over what the water may do 50 years from now.
Has Loreto been hurt by all the Good Fishing?. and just look at how great the fishing is in the Sea of Cortez.!! Just think about all the gold that could be used by the Dentist for Fillings!!!

Skeet"
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Jesse: This is one time I am going to disagree with you.

Theis is about peoples Lives! Just think about the number of people at the lower level that will benefit with "Food on the Table::.

!. It is not the :\"Business of any of the Enviro Nites of the States or Canadains. It is the people of mesicaos Business/

Some of the these "Global World Envior Nuts" do not have the Brains God promised a new Born burro!.

They say" save this and that so our Grandchildern will be able to see it""..What about the people of Today who are making their living on Todays,barly skiming along. Do you think they are worried about their Grandchidren "Seeing the Tourism of Cabo 50 years from Now"

So many of you Nuts call for Mexzico to use it's natrual Resourses then when they do you go Ape-Poop over what the water may do 50 years from now.
Has Loreto been hurt by all the Good Fishing?. and just look at how great the fishing is in the Sea of Cortez.!! Just think about all the gold that could be used by the Dentist for Fillings!!!

Skeet"

Skeet,

Thanks but no thanks, projects like this do not help the citizens of Baja one bit. As for the citizens of the rest of Mexico, i don't care, Baja is what concerns me.

I will tell you whats going to happen there.

1.-They will bring all of the workers from the mainland, causing more crime and more problems.

2.-There will be environmental damage, Baja sur politicians are corrupt to the bone and will for the right amount of money, grant any permit and pass any inspection to this company.

3.-I rather that gold stays there in the ground for a better time when we have a much stronger goverment capable of dealing fairly with these projects.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 06:42 PM

O/K/ Jesse:

Even though I do not like what I see in Loreto today. The First Presidente did the same thing. It brought in people from the Mainland to build the Hotel, some stayed, then Nopolo was built. Loreto grew from 2500 to 8,000. But look at the Mouths that have been fed!! some of those people changed their lives and found work.

You cannot stop progress, even if you donnot like the outcome.''Think about the People!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2009 at 06:45 PM

And Jesse:
I thionk that you will find out that You do not want a "Stronger Govt"" just a better Govt.
We have to do these things ourselves and not "Let the Govt. do them for us",, that is the way they get control and it turns to Social;ism or Evinorlism!!

The people can do much better by controllong the Govt. instead of letting the Govt. control Them!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 08:43 AM

Gnukid... I post sometimes to educate or (in this case) to get you to think. I have no personal feelings or special opinion about the mine. I am sure nobody who has a secure income wants the ugly mine in their backyard, just those that need an income... along with the gold industry seeking sources.

I was only mirroring TW's post regarding using turtles as a reason for stopping the mine. I think the true affects of a mine are enough reason to not want it, without throwing everything out there including the kitchen sink.

The 'warning' was only to protect non-Mexicans from getting involved in politics... as I don't want to hear of any Nomads being thrown out of Mexico because tey butted into local affairs.

Thanks Paulclark for your post, no offense from me intended...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Eugenio
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2009 at 02:01 PM

Paula - I don't know who wrote this (apparently not you) and please don't take offense - but strictly speaking as a matter of respect towards the people you want to influence you should have a native speaker of spanish draft these types of things. It's obviously a direct translation from english - besides having grammatical errors it just doesn't have the flow that it would have if a native speaker had written it. It'd be like having some immigrant group in the US writing a document in awkward english and asking native speakers to sign on - and then expecting to be taken seriously by US decision makers.

Just a suggestion. Don't want to start a war here.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 09:32 PM

In La Paz now and it looks like a ranching family on the newly paved road that goes between San Antonio and Los Planes on the North side of the road is leasing there ranch to a mining company that will do open pit mining. This is an incredible area and property and is very visible from Bay of Dreams and La Ventana.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 11:19 AM

Bay of Dead might be better... and it was the original name!

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Here is a report in English on the current illegal unpermitted ongoing mining operation and the destruction to historical buildings by the daily blasts.

and here the local news reports of violent attacks on local journalists

I must have missed the historic buildings being distroyed, but I guess since it was said it happened.
I also enjoyed the sheer genious of the guy "sealing" the gates.
Here, I'll twist the razor wire with my bare hands, cut the ends off real short so no-one can untwist it with their bare hands as I proudly display my bolt cutters which no-one, I say no-one, will ever think to use to cut the single strand of wire I ingeniously installed.
BRILLIANT :!::!::!:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.