Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Between Pacific Tides by Ed Ricketts
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 08:09 AM
Between Pacific Tides by Ed Ricketts

Hello there. I am finally getting around to reading God and Mr. Gomez and enjoying it. I was delighted when I read that Jack Smith made mention of Ed Ricketts (Doc of Stienbecks's Cannery Row) and his book Between Pacific Tides.

Wondering if an one here has read it and what do they think of it for beachcombing.

Also would there be other books that you would recommend for beachcombing in Baja.

Thanks....Barb
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 08:25 AM

Barb , you just woke me up . You wrote [ Doc of Stienbeck's Cannery Row ] . You have wonderful taste and memories flood back . When do you and Timo pass through enroute to Asuncion ?
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 08:33 AM

Between Pacific Tides was my beachcombing, rockcombing marinacombing, bible way back in the early sixties, and I haven't found anything better since. Of course, that was in California, not Baja, so there are differences. Between Ricketts' book and Ray Cannon's How to Fish the Pacific Coast, I was in business!

Be interested to hear if someone's found something as good.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 12-18-2009 at 10:54 AM

Two thumbs up, Don. I still carry both books.

Between Pacific Tides is of little use in baja and almost no use in the Cortez. The beasties described in Ricketts classic would be found along the pacific down to about the Guerrero Negro/Asuncion area. So if that's your destination then it will still be valuable.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 02:01 PM
"The Log from the Sea of Cortez" by John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts

A classic book published in 1951 that ignited my love for and interest in Baja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Log_from_the_Sea_of_Cortez

Doug, our benevolent overlord and website master uses quotes from the book in his signature and so have I.

You can find copies on amazon.com

[Edited on 12-18-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-18-2009 at 07:08 PM

There is a little book ghostwritten for either Tiny or Sparky which relates their side of what was going on on board.
Steinbeck's marriage was in the dumper among other things.
I don't recall the name, and I have surely given it away by now. There were a number of pictures of the voyage, and a lot more "dirt".

I think it was: "With Steinbeck in the Sea of Cortez"

Yep...By Sparkey Anea

http://www.amazon.com/Steinbeck-Sea-Cortez-Ricketts-Expediti...

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 06:08 AM

Good Morning

Jorgie, unfortantly we cannot make it down this winter. Hoping to make it to Asuncion for the August fishing derby, if they have it. Next winter for sure.

Probably why I am reading God and Mr Gomez right now. Gotta get my fix somehow.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Two thumbs up, Don. I still carry both books.

Between Pacific Tides is of little use in baja and almost no use in the Cortez. The beasties described in Ricketts classic would be found along the pacific down to about the Guerrero Negro/Asuncion area. So if that's your destination then it will still be valuable.

Not south of Asuncion then? Shoot. I see I can get it used online for $17 something. Think I will still get it.

Every little bit would help me to identify critters and such. Not living anywhere near the ocean I am not familar with the sights that I have seen while in San Rogue and BA. I will try and post a picture here. When Tim, Kevin and I went to San Roque. The guys were fishing off the rocks while I sat beside this tide pool. All sorts of activity going on in there.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
A classic book published in 1951 that ignited my love for and interest in Baja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Log_from_the_Sea_of_Cortez

Doug, our benevolent overlord and website master uses quotes from the book in his signature and so have I.

You can find copies on amazon.com

[Edited on 12-18-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 12-19-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

Looks like I have some people interested in reading this with my online book club. I get more out of Stienbeck if I share the discussion with fans of his.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 06:52 AM

See if I can do this. This is a picture of Tim and Kevin. So you get an idea of the terran. Which you probably already know anyways.

Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2009 at 06:56 AM

I don't have a picture of the tide pool I was staring into, but here's this little crab critter who was giving me a bad time. Think he wanted a sip of my Tecate, little begger.

marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 06:37 PM

Between Pacific Tides is more of a text book - good for the Pacific side only - check out any of the picture books (see discover Baja Bookstore) - for those that have outstanding field guide-type pictures of the tidepool critters and fishes!!!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2009 at 10:14 PM

I'd agree that Pacific Tidees is more of a textbook--a good read if you're into sort of serious stuff, but not really written for combing beaches.

"Guide to Marine Invertibrates: Alaska to Baja California" by Daniel Gotshall has great pictures of practically every shell, starfish and whatever, with brief info on each one. Somebody else probably knows if it's useful for beachcombing.

Paul Violette's Shellling in the Seas of Cortez" is a bit misleading--it concentrates on the head of the Gulf.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.