Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Diego surf shop
Vanderpooch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 11:01 AM
San Diego surf shop

I have a buddy that will be passing thru San Diego on his way to Baja. I would like him to pick up a new board for me on his way.
Does anyone have suggestion on a great shop with lots of selection and an informative honest staff??

Thanks, John
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 11:05 AM

A larger shop called Surfride in either Oceanside or Solana Beach. Very reputable and trustworthy.

I cant speak for prices as I use local shapers.

No worries
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 12:09 PM

decent selection of used and new boards at Rocky's surf shop in OB. lower prices than South Coast SS.

Dewey
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 12:17 AM

Try The Surf Hut in Imperial Beach. Excellent selection of new and used boards at good prices.
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 01:12 AM

You should say what size/ type surfboard you are looking to aquire. There are hundreds of surfshops in San Diego. A lot of them are surf clothing/ apparell shops which also sell surf boards and have a clueless staff.

Surfshops make very little on surfboards, they have to sell apparel as well.
Some shops are core surf shops who refuse to carry neon sunscreen, some assault you with it at the door and in every clothing/ advertisment filled corner.

Surfride has one of the bigger selections of boards you'll find, but the smaller shops need/deserve your business more.

I make my own boards so I honestly don't know who to recommend for a board. My last Surf related purchase was a Tide chart and wax and some Bodysurfing Fins(da fins) from Mitch's in Solana Beach. They have a good selection of longboards and fishy type retro models.
Vanderpooch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 08:37 AM

I am 6'6" tall
285 lbs

I am looking for a funboard about 8' long wide and thick.

I do most of my surfing on the east coast. usually a bunch of ankle slappers.

I am a middle of the road 5 times a year surfer.

prefer the price of used:)

J
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanderpooch
I am 6'6" tall
285 lbs

Yikes !!
Better to go with a 10' nose-rider !! :lol:

AND triple stringers and a carbon patch !! :lol:

[Edited on 12-22-2009 by Diver]
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2009 at 06:02 PM

An 8' board won't come anywhere near floating you. I'd say a 10'+ but it's hard to find a decent shape in boards that long. Have your friend check out Mitch's in La Jolla and I think he has a shop in North SD county.
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 11:48 AM

Patagonia surf shop in Carlsbad. Good knowledgeable people, good product, good selection. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for! They can help you select the correct board for your needs and wave conditions. My guess, 8' is too small for you in small waves.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 12-26-2009 at 01:29 PM

Try Becker Surfboards or Hansens Surfboards in Encinitas on Hwy 1. If you have time, call Hank Byzak at 760 634 2553. Excellent old-time shaper that has much experience with east coast waves as well. He'll dial you in!

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
Byron
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 09:32 AM

I have a Blair 8'5" egg , 24 1/8 in. wide , 3 5/8 in. thick , quad fin in excellent shape that would work well for you . Your odds of finding anything sitting in a surf shop with these dimensions are very slim .

[Edited on 12-27-2009 by Byron]
avid
Junior Nomad

Mood: adventurous

[*] posted on 12-27-2009 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
Try Becker Surfboards or Hansens Surfboards in Encinitas on Hwy 1. If you have time, call Hank Byzak at 760 634 2553. Excellent old-time shaper that has much experience with east coast waves as well. He'll dial you in!

I was in Hansen's a couple of weeks ago and they had some big used boards.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.