DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 07:52 PM
Sony Bono Salton Sea Wildlife Preserve

Big guy checking out his beauty

And yes he is beautiful

They also were checking their beauty.

And they also are beautiful

Now it is difficult to believe that such beautiful looking water is so polluted.

But it does not stop a few of these guys from visiting.

OK, a lot of these guys visit

Maybe it is why this guy looks so angry

These friends are just enjoying their meal

Maybe he is going to join the feast.

This time we had very limited time, but it is a place where there is always interesting wildlife to see

If you are in the area, stop by and say hello to this proud looking guy

:biggrin:

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:03 PM

Sonny Bono Salton Sea Wildlife Preserve? I hadn't heard that. It's probably been 10 years since I was there. Your pictures are real nice and at least it loooks clean. 10 years ago the beaches were covered with rotting fish...it was horrible.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:07 PM

Wonderful photos Diane!! That's such an interesting part of California in so many ways.

carpe diem!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Sonny Bono Salton Sea Wildlife Preserve? I hadn't heard that. It's probably been 10 years since I was there. Your pictures are real nice and at least it loooks clean. 10 years ago the beaches were covered with rotting fish...it was horrible.

Usually I refer to it as the Salton Sewer, but the Wildlife Preserve part is well managed. However, in the summer, boy is it stinky.

On the positive side, they have over 400 species of birds that either live there or visit sometime during the year---and lots of other wildlife including coyotes, bobcats, etc..

I sure would not water ski there the way we did when I was a teenager back in the Dark Ages. :biggrin:

Ken,
There are lots of really interesting places in the Imperial Valley that are ignored---very interesting. Glad you like the pix!

[Edited on 12-22-2009 by DianaT]
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:23 PM

I saw a jackalope there once:

The Western Jackalope
(Lepus Tempermentalus)

•Size: Males to 24". Females to 20".
•Weight: Avg 6-8 lbs. Binge up to 12 lbs.
•Horns: To 12 inches across. 2-3 points common.
•Coat: Tawny-brown, lighter on chest & underside.
•Disposition: Secretive. Easily agitated.
•Habitat: Sonny Bono Salton Sea Wildlife Preserve
•Range: West to Tijuana
•Diet: Hot dogs, beenie weenies, smores, pazole.
•Mating Ritual: Only during intense lightning strikes.
•Population: Less than 10,000. (2000 Census)
•Predators: Taxidermists, Tourists, Wall Drug.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:26 PM

Great pics BTW. I like the guys eating together.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:51 PM

We (dog and I) were there about 3 weeks ago. We were on a road trip (Death Valley) and planned to camp in Joshua Tree NP. BUT is was freezing there, so we went down to the Salton Sea. Right down to the American Legion Hall @ Bombay Beach, where the good bartender allowed us to park my van in the lot for the night.
It really is a beautiful place. Heck with a little imagination you`re in Baja. Ever see those mud bloop bloops near Red Hill? Always tons of wildlife and sea birds. Yes the rotting fish are still there, and the decayed mobile homes and structures, and yes the the boom is over. Something still draws me back (Slab City?, Salvation Mountain?)
Beautiful pics, thanks!!
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:55 PM

Thats a great picture of the elusive Jackalope. How many have been sighted on the shores of Salton sea? Who knows of any good vacation stories from the late 50's early 60's ?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 08:56 PM

Beautiful photos, Dianne!:yes:

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

Nice Diana. The picture of the Rabbit Quail and Sparrow are what I see out my window every day. God I love it!

DianaT
Select Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Ever see those mud bloop bloops near Red Hill?

No and we want to see them! Can't believe we have not seen them----we will, maybe next time.

Diane

[Edited on 12-22-2009 by DianaT]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 09:06 PM

I remember camping at the Salton Sea as a youngster in the 60's, wading out and catching huge corvina on mudsuckers.....a long time ago....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 10:36 PM

Used to boat, swim and fish the Salton Sea back in the early 1960's... Almost like going to San Felipe!

How time changes things! Went there a few years ago to show my kids where their dad played a few times when he was a little kid... DEAD FISH thick along the shoreline, stinked, and everything abandoned at Salton City... sad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 12:03 AM

Nice photos. :D

I've always seen Imperial County as an extension of Baja.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 05:14 AM

Nice photos Diane!

Wonder if they'll ever fix the issues there...one solution I'd heard was to make a shipping canal to the SOC and make the Salton Sea a port! Whatever they do to make the water cleaner it'll be an economic boom to the area.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 05:36 AM

Really nice photo's.. I too can remember trips down there in the fifties as a youngster with the family.. it is a shame it has degraded so much, about the only positive thing is that it has not kill off all the wildlife

Have also like the Imperial Valley, used to work down there for a few years.. always loved it early in the mornings after the alfalfa had been cut.. summers where a bit extreme.. at that time the car I was given to drive did not have air-conditioning.

To this day I remember setting in Brawley waiting to make a left turn south from 111 to 86 and the sun coming in through the windshield was hurting my legs through my Levi's... yet in the winter it gets really quite cold.. very interesting environment to explore ..

Diane your fifth picture is just amazing.. has a "zen" like quality.. really a great shot. One in a million for me.

Thank you for the pictures and the memories :):)

edit as I just can't read or write

[Edited on 12-22-2009 by wessongroup]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 05:57 AM

Diane, You are doing some amazing stuff with your camera. Look forward to seeing a lot more.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 09:11 AM

Thanks---I am having fun with the camera, working on learning more, and have a wish list for the future. :yes:

Wessongroup, makes me very happy that someone else saw pretty much what I did in that water shot. :biggrin::biggrin:

I think that when many of us were using the Salton Sea so many years ago, we really were not aware of how much pollution was there. My friend's family belonged to the Salton Sea Yacht Club so we went often and loved water skiing there in the 60s.

But long before I knew him, right after the army in the early 70's, John did his Master's Thesis on the Salton Sea area, and yikes, what he found the farmers were dumping into those "rivers", the New and the Alamo was incredible. So while maybe not as bad as later, there was also a lack of awareness.

Today, they have "fixed" the part of the New River that runs through Mexicali---they built a highway over that open sewer. ---out of sight, out of mind. And when we lived in Calexico, we became very familiar with the New River Committee and what a joke---but then again, so was the school board and the city council, but it was interesting. :biggrin:

So, the future of the Salton Sea is up for grabs, but meantime the preserve is well worth a visit, if you like those sort of things. And it is well worth preserving. :yes::yes:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 10:19 AM

Diana,

Was working for the State of California in the early 70's Department of Food and Agriculture, Pesticide Use Enforcement.. and was concurrently working with Federal EPA on special projects.

The period I spent with the State/Federal and dealing with "big Ag", Federal and the "major" chemical companies and how we balance food production and the environmental impact of the process was instructional after just getting out of college.

I do remember a lot of the problems, along with the "New, Alamo and American Rivers".. used to be a joke that the American River was Mexico's thank you to the Colorado River.. was a very interesting time in my life and thanks for the memories

You are truly Baja material if you live in the "Imperial Valley"...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2009 at 10:58 AM
Wessongroup

You must have been there around the same time as John. He was not living there, but traveled back and forth from Los Angeles. It was many years later that we lived there for 5 years.

While I am the one who prefers the organic, he is not against the use of pesticides But the things he found and documented were things like the malathion containers the farmers threw into the rivers---that was not good.

He worked with the IID and last we knew they still had a copy of his thesis---old days, all typed and then bound. Computers sure make things easier.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.