Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Four Wheel Pop Up Campers
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 10:09 AM
Four Wheel Pop Up Campers

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these campers, be it New or Used. Used being harder, as they don't come up that often and you have to drive to BFE to get it. I've been all over their website and want the full size Grandby model. The upgrades that I would like includes the 3.0 fridge/freezer, forced air heater, mechanical jacks, screen door, yakima racks, extended cab/bigger bed cab over. With just those features, the total comes to just over 14k not including all the taxes ect.

There are quite a few more items/upgrades that I would like, but I think that I could install them myself, or just do without. Those being; Passenger side awning, ext. shower, rear and side flood lights, porta-potti, folding hook steps, solar/battery set-up. With all the other goodies, it comes to a whoppin 17k!!! Ouch!!

I know that there are a few folks on this board that have these campers. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Positive/negatives, whatever you want to throw out there, I'll take it.

I see these things all the time and think how cool and functional they are. As some of you know, having properties in Baja always amounts to being locked down to just one or two locations and always doing maintainance or chores around the house and not being able to just say, " Hey let's go camp at watchamacallit for the next few days," and always being set up ready to go. Living here in CA., just to get out of Morro Bay and head to Big Sur for the weekend is a bonus. Ditch the computer, the phone, the TV and go experience Mother Earth.

Saludos

DERN
chernefitter
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 10:37 AM

Altho I looked at these types a few years back we ended up buying a full on Lance camper, which didn't work out well for the truck we have. One thing that did stick out was how ughly the interior was due to the metal skeleton poles for the canvas pop-up. We ended up buying a vintage (85) class C MH and really love it. Of course we can't go 0ff roading with this setup. There are a ton of camping combinations out there to consider.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 11:02 AM

Dern,

Have you seen these?

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html

Ken
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
ext. shower,

Look carefully before you buy. Some of them don't have an inside shower, only outside.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 11:13 AM

I've had 3 of these - A Grandby A Keystone (9 1/2 foot) on an F150 Longbed and Fleet model on my Toyota 4x4 PU. These were made in Colorado up until the late 80's so there many used on Craigslist in summer - prices range from Free to maybe $2k for real nice one. So you might consider driving out here. The big problem with the old ones is that the lift systems which are plywood panels tend to delaminate with age. I got a quote from where they are now made in California to replace the vinyl canvas and the lift panels - now using more durable material - for $1200- this was few years ago.
If you have a half ton truck these are good because they are light. Most of the Full size overheads and alot of the popups are too heavy for a 1/2 ton when you add in all your baja gear. The thing I don't like is that with alot of gear on the roof it's quite difficult to pop the top plus the lift has a load range- a problem if you moving around alot day to day - like driving down the coast.
GC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 11:47 AM

Dern, I too looked at 4-Wheel Campers before I found my used Northstar. The solar is easy to install, but you might want them to pre-wire for it. Fred loves his external shower, and I wish I had one, but you need to make sure you get a large water tank. I think his is either 40 of 50 gal and mine is only 20. I have never seen him use his awning--we usually just use the shade of the camper and move around to stay out of the sun. Des has mounted the external lights, so no problem there. I am taking mine South for two weeks starting tomorrow, and if there is something I find that I really wish I had, I let you know. They are not cheap, but you can go anywhere with them. Cheers, George.
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 12:33 PM

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum...

Check out this forum. You will gain alot of information on popup campers and the different brand names.

On our way back in the high country, the wind was so bad it tore my enclosed awning up and over my camper. There was not much damabe but the awning was a complete loss. We did not use it much.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 12:57 PM

Yes , I would also consider other makes esp. if you are looking for amenities and extra features . My Grandby was quite spartan compared to other poptops. The other thing I didn't like about the Grandby is that the roof sits quite low when popped down covering the stove and sink. This prevents you from making a quick meal or cup of tea without popping the top. Also, the door is quite short making it necessary to stoop getting in and out. I found that a bit annoying.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 01:04 PM

http://www.autohomeus.com/index.php
Someone sent me this link when I was inquiring.

I really want one of these!
http://velcrostrip.com/

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 01:15 PM

- I couldn't find a good used one, had to buy new

- Mine is a bit cramped but the Grandby should be adequate. you learn to adjust.

- They have a warehouse in Riverside so perhaps you can drop by and sit in one for awhile. They're always at sportman's shows so that's another place to experience them.

- 3 years now without any major problems. (1) the stove and sink must have some low quality metal 'cause they're showing signs of rust. (2) the overhead lights are getting flaky (but if you open and close the sink panel they come one :lol:).

- I understand that you can buy the basic poptop shell for $5K. Money could be saved if you installed all of the appliances yourself.

- I have no appliances. Use icebox instead of frig (ribeye steak went bad recently :barf:. Coyotes were happy). Turn on the stove burner just a tad with an open vent for heat. Don't laugh. Don't even have auxiliary battery.

P.S. The burner stove as heating is only used in the evening while awake. It's turned off after we get into sleeping bags. Even though these campers have all sorts of alarms that go off due to high carbon monoxide levels I never rely on any of that stuff when it comes to safety.

[Edited on 1-11-2010 by Skipjack Joe]
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 01:17 PM

I've got one and love it. Finding a used one with everything you want may be tough but you can do alot of add ons yourself with exception of adding the out door shower. A sun shower still works fine for me.

You best bets for buying used are checking out:

usedfourwheelcampers.com or craiglist.

If you find one you best move quick and have cash in hand, they don't stay on the market too long.

You can also learn anything you want to know about these campers at wanderthewest.com which is a Four Wheel Campers user group.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 01:21 PM

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/forum/4/
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 06:10 PM

Got GRANDBY...four years old now.....some very minor problems.....rear grab handle...a few loose screws....maybe some trim pieces but that is about all. Took "ice box" out last year and just got Coleman cooler . It was too small and just kept things cool at best for 2 days.

awning....nice when not windy

shower......is cold when windy !.....hot water sure feels good after surfing

heater.....just use it to warm things up at times.....maybe a BLACK CAT heater would work and save some money

screen door...yes for flies and bugs.... at night especially

lights.....come in handy when needed

artic pack.....not worth it....make something up on your own

steps...didn't get any and still having issues with tall truck

battery.....works good but limited capacity ...go with 2- 6 volts if you do your own

hot water.....sure is NICE

jacks are necessary when needed....I remove mine unless removing/installing camper (20 pounds each)

you will NOT be able to remove camper easily and drive away to explore
1/2 - 1 hour job......

lifting top....takes some muscle....must open windows...

fantastic fan....comes in handy when lowering top to pull sides in

Overall....works GREAT for BAJA !

[Edited on 1-12-2010 by surfer jim]
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 06:30 PM

Hola Dern, Check out the Alaskan Camper website. These things are the most bullet - proof pop ups I've come across. You can even car top an aluminum boat on them if you get one with the heavy duty hydraulic jacks inside. By the way, we're neighbors - I live in Santa Margarita!!!

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 07:15 PM

I picked up a used Lance for 5k, in perfect condition. It's a lot more comfortable than a tent sided camper. I don't know what kind of truck you have but if it's a Toyota, it won't even hold a pop up camper. My friend Rick put a 600# Four Wheel camper and had to put new springs all around. Then it didn't have enough power, so he had a supercharger installed, these upgrades weren't cheap. I put the 3000 lb Lance on my Dodge it just leveled it out.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:16 PM

We have had a Grandby since 2001. We feel it has served us very well and allowed us to go places a full sized camper can't quite get to. We are still OK with not having inside shower and just use the good old sun shower or heat some water on the stove if needed. We thought about an awning but we went with EZ-UP for versatility because you can move the shade around. We have the 12,000 BTU heater and use it sparingly but it has come in handy when camped in higher elevations or after a surf session in February. The screen door is essential as mentioned for bug defense. We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out. Doing so precludes one from utilizing jacks as they don't go high enough to clear top of same. I can still lift top with two kayaks and a surfboard on it but it seems to get a bit heavier every year, maybe I need some smaller kayaks? I have one friend who utilizes a power drill to operate a device that raises the roof. Just make sure drill is charged. We have a fan over the bed area and it is nice because it's reversible and helps with airflow. The fridge is handy when you are on a long trip but we always have at least one ice chest for beverages and snack. We put stuff in the fridge that we don't need as much because frequent opening makes it harder to keep stuff cold. We like having the outside lights for those moonless nights on the beach. We have had our share of loose screws here and there but considering the roads and the speeds traveled that is not surprising, viva locktight! My chef has me bring a two burner Coleman stove these days so she does not have to always be inside cooking while I am outside tending the beer cooler/campfire/bocce ball tournament but it's nice to be able to cook inside when it's cold and or windy. We started camping in Baja out of the back of a pickup with a tent and then moved to a Callen shell and when we moved to the 4Wheel we had to pare down what we brought with us and that was a good thing because there were things we hauled down for years in the other setups just because we had the room but never actually used them. Plenty of storage under the seats for all the necessary stuff. We can pop the top and be setup in a matter of minutes and breaking camp is just as easy. We have had numerous trips both south and north of the border where we slept in/near/on a different spot/beach/forest/lake/river/canyon every night over a week or two. The one thing I would change is the flourescent light over the stove/sink area, it attracts bugs and uses too much juice. Over the couch/bed area we have a two stage incandescent light so if you want to read you can turn it up or not.

If you want we can make arrangements and you can "test camp" ours! :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:35 PM

The low profile has many benefits - and not all have to do with economy. Here's a lake in BC we probably couldn't have reached with a cabover camper. Lots of rainbows back there.

BC.jpg - 49kB
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:42 PM
back road

truck.jpg - 41kB

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:43 PM
Mateo!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
We have had a Grandby since 2001. We feel it has served us very well and allowed us to go places a full sized camper can't quite get to. We are still OK with not having inside shower and just use the good old sun shower or heat some water on the stove if needed. We thought about an awning but we went with EZ-UP for versatility because you can move the shade around. We have the 12,000 BTU heater and use it sparingly but it has come in handy when camped in higher elevations or after a surf session in February. The screen door is essential as mentioned for bug defense. We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out. Doing so precludes one from utilizing jacks as they don't go high enough to clear top of same. I can still lift top with two kayaks and a surfboard on it but it seems to get a bit heavier every year, maybe I need some smaller kayaks? I have one friend who utilizes a power drill to operate a device that raises the roof. Just make sure drill is charged. We have a fan over the bed area and it is nice because it's reversible and helps with airflow. The fridge is handy when you are on a long trip but we always have at least one ice chest for beverages and snack. We put stuff in the fridge that we don't need as much because frequent opening makes it harder to keep stuff cold. We like having the outside lights for those moonless nights on the beach. We have had our share of loose screws here and there but considering the roads and the speeds traveled that is not surprising, viva locktight! My chef has me bring a two burner Coleman stove these days so she does not have to always be inside cooking while I am outside tending the beer cooler/campfire/bocce ball tournament but it's nice to be able to cook inside when it's cold and or windy. We started camping in Baja out of the back of a pickup with a tent and then moved to a Callen shell and when we moved to the 4Wheel we had to pare down what we brought with us and that was a good thing because there were things we hauled down for years in the other setups just because we had the room but never actually used them. Plenty of storage under the seats for all the necessary stuff. We can pop the top and be setup in a matter of minutes and breaking camp is just as easy. We have had numerous trips both south and north of the border where we slept in/near/on a different spot/beach/forest/lake/river/canyon every night over a week or two. The one thing I would change is the flourescent light over the stove/sink area, it attracts bugs and uses too much juice. Over the couch/bed area we have a two stage incandescent light so if you want to read you can turn it up or not.

If you want we can make arrangements and you can "test camp" ours! :dudette:

It's late tonight. I have a list of replies for everyone. Thanks for the input. We'll all catch up "en la manana."

Matt, you and Barb are my inspiration when it comes to these campers. Hope this doesn't seem too sappy. Talk to everyone tomorrow.

DERN
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 09:49 PM

Great fotos. I'd like to see more of them in Baja.

Dern
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.