Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: san felipe south campos
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:49 AM
san felipe south campos

this was posted today on the san felipe net
does any one here have any more info on what is going on

"I just want to know why no one, I mean no one, will write about what is going on with the Americans in the South Campos. We are losing our homes, they are pressuring us to pay back taxes, build unwanted sea walls, doubling our rent, sign contracts that are more comical than anything else. Your web page says NEWS, the best you can do is about women’s underwear????? What the heck, do you write about the news or not! I think it’s important that we get the msg out as to what is really going on, everyone wants Americans to come back to Mexico, why, when we are being thrown out of our homes, with no help from the Mexican Gov. what a joke, the only ones making money is the landlords....... and us Americans once again being screwed. I’m not scared, what do I have to lose, keep an eye on the San Diego Union Tribune, the letter is written, maybe they will print it. This is ridiculous, my landlord has given me the option to pay his 500,000.00 debt back taxes to the Mexican Gov. or he will give me x amount of months to sell my house, or it becomes his, oh did I mention that he has to approve the sales price, what is going on here. I have no way out. This is going to get real ugly real fast, I would appreciate any help or ideas of what to do, if I’m better off walking away say so, I’m tired, and about as sad as I can be. Sorry to be so critical, but the only news we get is from you guys and the Gringo Gazette, neither of you guys are performing."
BAnn

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:15 AM

There is... a problem in some of the campos. The author of the above post is right. Hope things get settled soon. Some people are really in a bad situation. To many greedy people in the world! But there are some good campos.
BajaBros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:34 AM

Which are the good campos and which are the bad? I have a friend with a home south of SF and I would love to know more details. Thanks.
smlslikfish
Junior Nomad

Mood: La Costilla Bound

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:24 PM

Name Names!
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:35 PM

What camp are you in? Ed and Paula Bair recently lost their house to Javier Maduena through a court action. Roger and Pam Sue were forced to sell their house to the buyers of their camp or lose it at the end of their lease. The rumor is that the owner of Playa Linda is going to triple the lot rent. We are fortunate in that our camp was purchased by US citizens 4 years ago and our situation is stable. I would not want to be in a Mexican owned camp as the writing is on the wall.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:58 PM

Exactly... there are probably 50 campos between San Felipe and Puertecitos... which one?

It should come as no surprise to learn that when you invest/ build on someone else's land, you don't spend more than you can walk away from and have fond memories of the time you were able to enjoy paradise.

It is a sad thing still, and I feel bad and sorry for any honest person who had the land deal changed on them and has no 'rights' to compensation.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 06:35 PM
leases

More specifics would be helpful.

This could happen at any campo, and in mobile home parks in the US
but building on the land with 9-10 year leases is the way it has typically been done. Don't build more than you can really afford to lose.
How much was the original rental in the camp? Double the rent to $1500 per year would not be too bad, double to $3000 would be getting out of line.
People in the US put $50,000 mobile homes on rental lots in parks and pay over $300 a month many times with a very small lot and a higher tax structure. In most states these people have no rights and can be evicted when the owner wants to say, sell so a condo can be built.
I have a lease with approximately a ten year life, I would certainly hate to be evicted but it is a risk I was willing to take.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Exactly... there are probably 50 campos between San Felipe and Puertecitos... which one?

It should come as no surprise to learn that when you invest/ build on someone else's land, you don't spend more than you can walk away from and have fond memories of the time you were able to enjoy paradise.

It is a sad thing still, and I feel bad and sorry for any honest person who had the land deal changed on them and has no 'rights' to compensation.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 06:58 PM

Why do you guys sign leases for 10 years and then yell about the Mexicans at the end of the lease... sounds more like you are trying to pull a fast one. not the local
Sur2baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 07:20 PM

This particular issue is in La Perlita. After talking to Ed and Paula (and many others in the south campos) the issue appears to be that the campo owners were seeing a lot of money being made north of town and they wanted the same money for their south campo lots. Never mind that there are no services and the economy is in the crapper. There is all sorts of unscrupulous "things" going on down there and it's the worst i've seen in over 30 years.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sur2baja
This particular issue is in La Perlita. After talking to Ed and Paula (and many others in the south campos) the issue appears to be that the campo owners were seeing a lot of money being made north of town and they wanted the same money for their south campo lots. Never mind that there are no services and the economy is in the crapper. There is all sorts of unscrupulous "things" going on down there and it's the worst i've seen in over 30 years.

Thanks for that... I see from your signature you have a lot at Nuevo Mazatlan? That is where I practically grew up loving Baja! It was the first beach camp in the region and only Percebu and Coloradito were in existance between San Felipe and Puertecitos back in the 1960's.

Here is the founder of Nuevo Mazatlan, Luis Castellanos Moreno and his wife Felicita back in 1972 with me (13-14). It was Luis who gave the campo that name (it was formerly 'Agua de Chale') about 1966... and it was he who planted the salt pines to create the beautiful forest to camp in starting about 1969.

Luis had a drinking problem and lost his wife and later would lose his life's work when ownership changed to Javier sometime after 1980... I last saw Luis on the streets of San Felipe in 1989. He called my parents his brother and sister... and when I was an adult I too was his 'brother'.

More at http://vivabaja.com/nm

[Edited on 1-13-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:33 PM

Where's Donjulio? He the man in San Felipe with the answers.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
In most states these people have no rights and can be evicted when the owner wants to say, sell so a condo can be built.

They have the right to move their mobilehome elsewhere. It's theirs.

Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:43 PM

I am right here. Unfortunately its more fun for people to speculate about what is happening instead of listening to what is really happening. I have mentioned it several times before. What is happening here in San Felipe and south is not pretty but people just want to argue. It really isn't worth my time to get involved anymore.
chernefitter
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
I am right here. Unfortunately its more fun for people to speculate about what is happening instead of listening to what is really happening. I have mentioned it several times before. Well whatever it is it doesn't sound right for the long term folks who have put in time and money, which in turn helps out the surrounding communities. Hope it gets resolved quickly.
chernefitter
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:33 PM

my apologies to donjulio some how i tried to "quote" him and give my take on things and my words got thrown in the quote box with him. First time user on that thing, maybe should be the last:?:
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:07 PM
Campo San Antonio K43

A couple of friends and us have been leasing our lots at campo San Antonio since the late 80's. We love the place have built a small and comfortable casita. For the first 15 years or so before Antonios death all was well. Antonio was a simple man of wisdom, grace, integrity, his word was his promise and his honor. After his death things started to change. The camp was now run by his wife and two drug addicted sons Emiliano and Tony. The rents went up from to $500.00 and 3 yrs ago rose to $800.00. Given our location and lots we have we did not consider the rent increases unreasonable. Certainly, the vistas, sunrise, sunset, stars , all the friendships , memories and family enjoyment we have experienced over the years far supersedes the cost of the rent.
Over the years we have had our share of problems with thefts. My house and storage shed have been broken into and various items stolen including my Suzuki Samurai. Several attempts have been to take my Trooper, the dash and ignition have been ripped out. Campo residents all suspect Emiliano and Tony as the culprits in the thefts and breakins. In fact each time I leave I know that what ever gas is left in the Trooper will be drained out. Neighbors have reported that have seen Emiliano and Tony break into trailers and take my gas. Things get worse as their drug addiction go unabated. I rationalize all this and put up with it as a pain in the rear that is part of the price I have to pay for this piece of paradise.
Now what is worse than the pain in the rear is that with the death of Antonio the campo was never recorded in his name in Ensenada. As part of the Ejido Delicias each Ejido member did receive from the Federal Government a certificate, kind of like a grant deed that had to be processed and recorded as part of the Municipio de Ensenada. Antonio started the process but never completed it. Antonio died intestate, his wife eventually was recognized as the rightful owner but now she has died intestate also. It is doubtful if she ever got the land recorded. The problem now is that there are 9 siblings and the fight has started over control of the campo. The eldest son, Francisco, was appointed by the court as the executor but he has to deal with some angry siblings. My contract expired in Feb of 09, will I get another quien sabe? In my conversations with him he is not optimistic that they will reach an agreement over how to split the campo 9 ways and will eventually sell the campo.
I fully agree with what has been posted. Do not invest any more than you can walk away from. If I have to walk I will but will take priceless memories with me and no one will have my house. Is it worth it, yes a thousand time over. Nothing last forever.
I am fortunate to have dual citizenship and 2 yrs ago bought 100 meters beach front at Campo Linares, Ejido Matomi. Buying land in Mexico is very complicated. Yet another story. It took us almost 2 yrs to get title.. If I have to someday I will just move there but for now I will enjoy my casita and treasure the time I have to spend there and the memories that come with it.. Enjoy!!!
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:51 PM

El Comandante Loco - Just a suggestion. I completely understand your anger and frustration. There are a few things that even though they may be true, you might want to take out of your post. IE: Using names and drug addicted etc.

You can set yourself up for very unpleasant legal consequences even if what you say is true. Remember here you are guilty to proven innocent and all it takes is an accusation of slander or libel and you are in serious trouble. They put you in jail and ask questions later.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
You can set yourself up for very unpleasant legal consequences even if what you say is true. Remember here you are guilty to proven innocent and all it takes is an accusation of slander or libel and you are in serious trouble. They put you in jail and ask questions later.

Mexico decriminalized slander and libel in April, 2007. It is now only a civil matter at the federal level. Baja California does not have any criminal penal code for slander or libel. All those tweekers can do is sue Commandante Loco, if they can steal enough to pay for a lawyer.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBros
Which are the good campos and which are the bad? I have a friend with a home south of SF and I would love to know more details. Thanks.

Campos Ocotillo!
6 miles north of town. It’s been around for 15 years or so…and no problems to say. Recently Salvador “retired” only to have his college educated daughter take over. The Campos got better! We were among the first to get power and piped in water. Rent is cheap. ….but we did a few things in case our lease isn’t renewed. A house was built that we can afford to lose and we bought (own) land across the highway in the Edido should we have to move….. we don’t expect that to happen. But it may happen!

I suggest that if you are to lease and build ……rent a house in a Campos that you are interested in, for a year or so. See how it operates. Then lease in and build. No matter how careful you are in the process….there WILL be surprises (good and bad)!

We look at the South Beach area time to time for the hell of it…..and think that the operations down there are overpriced, over regulated, and “just ain’t Baja”!

For a good lesson on “how to lose your shirt”……read into the history of Puertecitos.

That's just my opinion.....
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2010 at 09:26 AM

I love my $125 tent and free camping. Same sunsets.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.