Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cabrilla on Swimbaits
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 03:51 PM
Cabrilla on Swimbaits

Fishing pictures from our latest trip. First the lure. It's about 7" long.

This is pretty much the typical size leopard grouper we caught along the shoreline.

Fee didle de deee
A pirate's life for me.

Notice this one was caught on a rapala. More about the subsequent events to this picture in a later thread.

All these fish were released. One smaller cabrilla was kept for consumption for the entire trip. Barbequed next to our campsite, it was delicious.

:Spelling repair

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by Skipjack Joe]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 04:00 PM

Very nice! Where did you get the jig heads?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 04:00 PM

Nice looking fish!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 04:10 PM

Your were right Igor,its up 30 beats a min:lol:
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 04:11 PM

Kinda like Calico fishing on steroids. I gotta get my fish on soon!
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 05:31 PM

Nice cabrilla Joe! Swimbaits are the best. They catch anything that swims. I started using them on spotted bay bass and sand bass, halibut, ect. I caught literally thousands of fish on them. Started with the"Fishtrap" brand. We use to have 100 fish days in Newport Harbor. In the mid 80's I tried them at a private bass lake here in O.C., and they killed LMB as well. I have caught fish up and down Baja on them. Calicos, yellowtail, WSB, cabrilla. I want a sail on one with my heavy bass rod. They are making big mackeral ones now. Something to try later this year. They do get expensive when you art chasing toothy critters though.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 05:39 PM

Igor,

What was your technique in using the swimbaits? Would like to give them a try. Very nice eating fish those Cabrillos are!

Ken
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Russ, check out Charkbait.com as they have a great selection. I make my own since I have the molds and use 3x strength Owner hooks. At certain times of the year, especially when the fish are relating closer to shore this can be the most exciting fishing available in our area.

PS, it is La Cabrilla, feminine noun, not a cabrillo, Igor had it right, just a typo.

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by Pescador]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 05:52 PM

Spelling was never my strong suit, if that was for my misspelling, Pescador.

Ken
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 06:12 PM

Quote:

These guys have them online- I just ordered from them. highly recommended...lots of info on their website.

http://www.transpeninsularoutfitters.com/main-pages/casting-...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 06:27 PM

Quote:

I got the heads you see in the image at Hi's Tackle. The ones we used, however, were bought at the Longfin. Besides the weedguard on top there's a wire below that actually holds the swimbait in the image. Typically after several fish the bait will get real loose and tend to slide down during the cast or hard strikes. I'm hoping that this newer one will minimize that. But it really isn't a big deal.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Igor,

What was your technique in using the swimbaits? Would like to give them a try. Very nice eating fish those Cabrillos are!

Ken

Ken,

Perhaps the most important thing is figuring where they're gonna be. A very obvious spot are the rocky points that have large boulders next to shore. But they're also in coves when the underwater structure is right.

Basically you motor up to within 50' from shore and set the boat sideways. We used stout rods with Torium and Saltist reels with braided line topped with 40 and 50lb mono. We also had maybe 6' of 80lb leader at the very end. You need to be able to make 50' casts without backlashes.

You cast the line to within a couple of feet of land and immediately start the retrieve (or you get hung up). The strike isn't real hard at first but it is followed by an all powerful lunge that needs to be stopped. This is so strong that line comes off the reel no matter how tight the drag is set. The trick is start them coming in as soon as the strike occurs so that they are facing you all the way instead of downward.

They're much harder to catch than calicos because of the habitat. And they grow to a larger size.

We tried various other methods, many of which worked, but this proved the best.

BTW, the 'Baja Catch' trolling technique doesn't work very well on these boys. By the time you put the motor into neutral, turn around and start the battle the fish is either in his hole or is so close to it you have no chance. Only if you're lucky to get a take in a more cobblestone area will you land those fish and that's not their favored habitat. And that's also why it's not their favored habitat. So we come around full circle.

Last year we hooked these guys from shore and never landed a single one. But we observed. Alex was the one who dialed in to them. I was satisfied with spotted bay bass (which these guys feed on). ;)
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 06:58 PM

Thanks for the help with the jig heads! now just pick what I think will work for me and choose them all. Thanks:D

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 07:14 PM

WOW

Another great reason that's worth the price of Nomad membership.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 08:22 PM

Dude, that's some good chite right there....swim baits are great fun. Nice work!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 09:07 PM

Those are some beauties!
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 09:56 PM

A little super glue will help keep the swimbait from sliding down the hook shank. You can repair tears by using a lighter to heat the plastic up. Hold the tear together while it cools down and your good to go.
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:08 PM

Great post Igor. I'm envious, especially since it's dumping snow outside. 3 more months, then Baja....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
A little super glue will help keep the swimbait from sliding down the hook shank. You can repair tears by using a lighter to heat the plastic up. Hold the tear together while it cools down and your good to go.

Thanks Frank. Great information.... and we had a lighter with us, too.

You don't have any secrets about what to do with one after the tail is gone, do you? We found them to be so deficient that we just tossed them.

Quote:
Originally posted by stimbo
Great post Igor. I'm envious, especially since it's dumping snow outside. 3 more months, then Baja....

Yeah, but just think how it will be when you come back. The Owens will be in perfect shape above Crowley ....
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Yeah, but just think how it will be when you come back. The Owens will be in perfect shape above Crowley ....

Some chunky rainbows have been coming out of there in the last couple of weeks believe it or not. The snow is a good thing don't get me wrong.... it's just that seeing all the nice warm sand and sun photos that get me "jones-ing" for warmer climes when it's dumping outside. You must be getting kinda wet over on your side of Cali? Jim

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by stimbo]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.