BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: An easy day in the desert (Joshua Tree NP)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:29 PM
An easy day in the desert (Joshua Tree NP)

My wife took her very first trip to the desert backcountry today, and she really enjoyed what it was all about. We cannot leave the USA for another 6 to 8 months, so Southern CA will have to do for now.

My good friend Mike drove along, and here's how the day went...

Traveling along Berdoo Canyon Road, we visited the old California Conservation Corps camp.

There was broken glass and rusty nails everywhere you looked, so we pulled out of there, and on our way back to the road, we happened upon an informal Toyota group. I watched this V8 powered Land Cruiser spin its tires and get stuck near the top of this hill several times, and I thought a friendly competition would make our day a little interesting.

The Land Cruiser made it to the top, and their group laughed as I bottomed out on the ruts and barely managed to make it up 2/3rds the way each time. I gave it lots of throttle, front/rear lockers, and 2nd gear all the way to the top...and made it! This is Leidys' reaction to the victory on Berdoo Canyon Road for the Land Cruiser AND the Jeep Rubicon!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:37 PM

Leidys has never driven an automobile before, but next month will give it a go in Anza Borrego. She really enjoyed Berdoo Canyon Road and Geology Tour Road. Here are some pics..

An approaching series of storms immediately darkened the skies, but we kept having fun on the rocks...on foot. This is our friend Mike who I met at "Shipwrecks/Punta San Jacinto" (Baja California) back in 2000.

New signs have been posted throughout the park...Here is the new Geology Tour Road sign that is a bonus for park visitors looking for a little adventure on their way home.

Leidys never scaled rocks before, so we gave it a go at Skull Rock and in her new Timberland boots, she made it to the top without any difficulties.

After a full day hiking and 4 wheeling, we aired up near the Cottonwood Visitors Center and Jeeped back home in the rain. All in all a great day in the desert!

[Edited on 1-19-2010 by Ken Cooke]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:44 PM

Man, that looks like fun. She sure has a nice smile.
How does she like the US so far? Any culture shock?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:44 PM

Hey Ken give me the heads up when you go, a friend of mine invited me to ocotillo wells the same week end, maybe we can meet some where, I want to visit split mountain , I have never been there.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2010 at 10:59 PM

Took this picture next to your campsite 3 years ago:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 07:38 AM

Very nice Ken!

Yes, let's hook up with BajaCat for some four wheeling at Ocotillo Wells! We are still waiting to meet Leidys... Bring her down and we will BBQ/ watch Bajo California (it's in Spanish mostly)... oh and Corazon Vaquero!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Very nice Ken!

Yes, let's hook up with BajaCat for some four wheeling at Ocotillo Wells! We are still waiting to meet Leidys... Bring her down and we will BBQ/ watch Bajo California (it's in Spanish mostly)... oh and Corazon Vaquero!

I'll keep both of you posted with Ocotillo Wells. We watched Anthony Bourdain "On the US/Mexico Border" yesterday and watched as Anthony walked into the bar in Nuevo Laredo just like in the scene from El Mariachi. We have that VHS tape, but our VHS machine is now eating tapes, so I cannot even fathom watching/wasting our copy of Bajo California here at home. El Mariachi is also a no-go. BUMMER!

Fishbuck asks - How is Leidys adjusting? Tomorrow will mark her 2nd month here in the USA, and she loves her new family and friends here so much, and our life together that she is very happy. Culturally, she understands that the foods and music are very different. She only listens to Salsa or Romanticas and only dances to Salsa or Pop en Español. We went dancing at a local bar here in Riverside, but she did not like Banda - but good thing Cmbias are also popular here, she's a Cumbia girl! :bounce:
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 08:25 AM

Nice shots Ken! In 1976 I was a 17 year old Marine going to C&E school at 29 Palms. Spent many days, and drunken nights, wandering around in those rocks. We were very lucky none of my group ever got hurt. Many young jarheads were not so fortunate! Your wife has a great smile, and looks very happy. Congratulations. The waiting period was hard on my wife also. I don't remember how long it was, but she was quite frustrated that her family was only 200 miles away. Now she, or we, are in Mexico almost evey weekend!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 09:19 AM

Great trip report, Ken.

I'm sure I speak for all of us Baja residents when I say that my home is always open to you and Leidys when you are free to roam Baja.

Cumbia Rules!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the warmth & positivity

We want very much to visit Baja and feel that Baja sun and swim in the Sea of Cortez. When you are not able to go, it makes you want to be there so much more.

Here are a few more photos from our wonderful trip to Joshua Tree NP.

Standing at the Whitewater, CA rest stop on I-10 -- Leidys is sporting her new backcountry clothing.

The rock formations of Squaw Tank along Geology Tour Road

The disclaimer leading beyond Geology Tour Road reads, "Caution! Road Not Maintained!" This seldom catches the attention of tourists driving in rental cars, but this tourist was intrigued and wanted a few photos regardless.

geomike
Junior Nomad

Mood: feeling an irresistable pull towards Baja...

[*] posted on 1-19-2010 at 10:50 PM

Hi all, hope this is not a hijack but we too were just at JTNP on Jan 10. I thought I would try my hand at posting some pics.

A natural arch....

3 clowns at skull rock...

Awesome scenery everywhere....

We didn't get to do the Geology road tour...kind of ironic...but I was out voted (stupid democratic process)

You are entitled to your own opinions...not your own facts.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 1-20-2010 at 12:04 AM
A belated Congrats, Ken and Leidys

I've read and enjoyed many of your posts, pictures, and stories, Ken. Even though we've never met in person, I wanted to offer a late, (but still warm) congrats to you and Leidys!

My best friend ~ and wife, Shing, and I started the DHS / INS process 8 years ago, right after we married..... We were both having so much fun that we didn't mind the paperwork, process, and time... It goes pretty quick.

Anyway, I was in Korea in Nov., and in Taiwan, and Thailand (mostly) in Dec. and early Jan., and I guess I missed a few of your posts / announcement... So a belated and hearty congratulations !

Great photos!

David / djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2010 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
I've read and enjoyed many of your posts, pictures, and stories, Ken. Even though we've never met in person, I wanted to offer a late, (but still warm) congrats to you and Leidys!

My best friend ~ and wife, Shing, and I started the DHS / INS process 8 years ago, right after we married..... We were both having so much fun that we didn't mind the paperwork, process, and time... It goes pretty quick.

Anyway, I was in Korea in Nov., and in Taiwan, and Thailand (mostly) in Dec. and early Jan., and I guess I missed a few of your posts / announcement... So a belated and hearty congratulations !

Great photos!

David / djh

David,

Thank you, Amigo! I appreciate it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.