Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hwy 1 from TJ to Guerero Negro
jdowning

Mood: Optomistic

question.gif posted on 1-21-2010 at 06:04 AM
Hwy 1 from TJ to Guerero Negro

We will be departing soon (Monday or Tues.) for our annual trip down into Baja Sur. Are wondering how the TJ streets and the Big Red One is holding up with the current barrage of winter storms.

Anyone having made the trip recently who can give us a current report?

Muchas Gracias

John & Pat
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2010 at 08:10 AM

What is the "Big Red One"?

(the biggest of the storms is hitting us and northern Baja today... )

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jdowning

[*] posted on 1-21-2010 at 08:27 AM

Route/Hiway 1 which goes from Tijuana to the end of the penensula.

Yes, this storm is supposed to be the 'biggest'. But I am not sure it will drop more precipitation down into Baja than the previous fronts. Could see on the San Diego radar the past few days that there was pretty heavy rain at times down past Ensenada.

The TJ street from border to toll road gets flooded pretty easily it seems and the road (Highway 1) can get pretty flooded down through San Quentin. Of course if they got a lot of rain past El Rosario?

Just looking for current road information.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-21-2010 at 10:04 AM

boe4fun arrived in Asuncion last night from san diego...towing a big trailer...he got through Ok...so far so good. Wind and swells will be an issue here today though.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-21-2010 at 10:10 AM

10-4... I have never heard Hwy. 1 called the 'Big Red One' before...???

It has been called:

Transpeninsular Highway
Numero Uno
Mexico One
Carretera Benito Juarez
The Road
Frijole Freeway

Have a great trip!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jdowning

[*] posted on 1-21-2010 at 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info. Shari. Will see how this last storm shakes out before we hit the road but should be down into B. Sur by the end of next week.

Hey, I took a look at your profile & web site. Your place looks very interesting to us. Wondering what the road is like for a 30' motor home. It's been on many a dirt or graded road so that's not a problem. Of course severe washboard is a problem with a MH. Hard to get up to cruising speed before things start shakin' off the walls.

So how is the road considering that?

We tow a jeep w/kayaks so as an alternative we may just unhitch it in G. Negro and drive over to spend the night and check Bahia Asuncion out.

Regards,

John
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 1-21-2010 at 11:40 PM

Mexican newspapers say that Hwy 1 is cut in three places south of Ensenada due to bridge washouts.

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=16437

No soy por ni contra apatía.
jdowning

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 06:49 AM

Wow that is NOT good news for us.

I can't read Spanish very well and can only see that the bridges are closed and the bridge pictured is intact but with high water.

Do you read Spanish well? Are they closed for safety or washed out?

Anyone out there who can translate for me/us?

For me if they aren't washed out I have to delay for a week or so. If they are audios winter vacation!

Thanks so much for the information.

:no:
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdowning
Wow that is NOT good news for us.

I can't read Spanish very well and can only see that the bridges are closed and the bridge pictured is intact but with high water.

Do you read Spanish well? Are they closed for safety or washed out?

Anyone out there who can translate for me/us?

For me if they aren't washed out I have to delay for a week or so. If they are audios winter vacation!

Thanks so much for the information.

:no:

Transpeninsular highway has been closed to traffic in different sections because of problems on the bridges of Las Animas (40 km from Ensenada) San Vicente (100 km) and Colonia Vicente Guerrero (170 km) from the city.

According to the latest police report and PFP municipal seat while about 250 people were evacuated in the town of Vicente Guerrero, in San Quentin delegation due to overflow of river Santo Domingo.

Vehicular traffic has been to the south have been suspended so the population is called to avoid travel or leave the city unless absolutely necessary and be aware of the official bulletins and newsletters.

A few minutes ago overflowed the Arroyo San Rafael, and according to the report of witnesses took the force of water with a pick up with people on board.

The water entered the houses and the Colonet delegate from a roof trying to assist those children and adults caught up in a church.

Bridge Santo Domingo in Colonia Vicente Guerrero much further south of this city, is closed because it also runs the risk of collapse.

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:51 PM

Check out what bajacactus has to say on the Baja News heading:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43772

I think there is going to be a bunch of us going down together later in the week, if then.
Rich
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 05:33 PM

The rain must stop before things can be repaired. The good news is that with the exception of a minor storm on Tuesday, things are improving.
jdowning

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 09:51 PM

Thanks a lot for the information friends. It would seem we have a bit of a wait until the road is passable in any way. For me with a motor home it will probably take even longer. I can remember times when I was driving an SUV going around a bridge failure just north of San Vicente. The 18 wheelers were going over it slowly and really bouncing around. Now that I have a MH I think diversions like that still may not accommodate my rig!

Darn. Looks like possibly a few weeks delay or no trip.

But more importantly the people down there must be having a really hard time. Lets hope it dries up quickly so they can receive the essentials they need.

Go

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.