BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 08:37 PM

to Bill P. Thanks for the recommendation of San Ignacio vs GN. We had a friend who camped at and was happy with Malarrimo Hotel and Rv in GN so we had planned to give it a try. We also remember San Ignacio as a neat little town. You now have us thinking that San Ignacio may be a better choice. Thanks for responding. To J Downing- thanks for the heads up on gas and shoulder issues. We have a 85 gallon gas tank but no sense in taking any chances. We will gas up often and we will watch the shoulders!! Thanks again. Ron
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 08:42 PM

BS....there are buses going both ways today...i just got to mulege...there is no problem...at all

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 08:56 PM

to Des and Marla- thanks for the heads up. Also i got your u2u message but did not know how to reply. Thanks for the great info. What is the best way for us to find out when the ABC buses are running? Thanks again. Ron and Patty
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
to Des and Marla- thanks for the heads up. Also i got your u2u message but did not know how to reply. Thanks for the great info. What is the best way for us to find out when the ABC buses are running? Thanks again. Ron and Patty

http://www.transportes-abc.com/

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 09:11 PM

to MulegeMichael- now I am confused. We just returned from a trip to Alaska and encountered some tough roads in the Yukon and a steep logging road to a glacier in Hyde Alaska so bad roads are not new to me. However, the post from DesMarla has me guessing in part because I don't want to beat up a motorhome if a few days wait will improve the road. Any idea why your impression of the road is so much different? Thanks a million for everybodies valuable input. Ron and Patty
tracyduke

[*] posted on 1-28-2010 at 09:47 PM
Is the road passable by A Harley Davidson

First I'd like to introduce myself as a newbie on this site.
I'm from Tracy Ca and some of us were headed down to LaPaz later this week on our Harleys. From what I hear the road is a mess. Any comments about weather we can drive our 900 pound Harley baggers through the detours?

Thanks

[Edited on 1-29-2010 by tracyduke]
fuelpusher2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Thanks again to everybody. We will take the recommendation and spend a night in Loreto vs Constitucion. We only picked Constitucion because La Paz seemed like a long day from Bahia Concepcion and the campgrounds ie Manfred's or Palapa 206 in Constitucion looked good. We haven't been to Loreto in almost 10 years and it will be good to see it again. Thanks a million. Ron and Patty

Suggestion - From Tacate, you can take the toll road West toward TJ and then take BLVD 2000 south to Rosarito, then HWY 1 to Ensenada. Although the wine road is prettier, the road is narrow - typical Baja two-lane. BLVD 2000 is a wide, divided hwy. Time & distance is comparable.

We have found that Sunday is the best day to travel northern Baja - at least through to El Rosario - in our opinion. Less traffic southbound, little if any, farm equipment on the roads around San Quintin and the road construction/repair crews have the day off, in general.

However, the road construction/repair part may not hold true under the current circumstances.

We too have no time constraints. We plan to head down to Loreto Sunday Feb 7th driving an Expedition towing a 5x8 utility trailer. We were originally going to leave this coming Sunday Jan 31st but decided to give things time to settle out a bit more..........just because.

With current road reports of the busses running, we are sure the road would be no problem for us - detours and all - but we are in no rush. We've been making this trip for 20 some years and have found that once traffic starts moving again, it is best to give it another week - if timing allows.

Watch the shoulders!!!! You'll love Loreto!!! We do.

Chris
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 08:20 AM

i'll say this one more time: THE BUSES ARE RUNNING!!!...i don't know why folks are saying they aren't but i was almost blown off the road several times yesterday by them so i know it's true...i was also passed by many many motorcycles headed north so yeah, a bike can make it easily...just pay attention and you won't have ANY problems

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tracyduke
First I'd like to introduce myself as a newbie on this site.
I'm from Tracy Ca and some of us were headed down to LaPaz later this week on our Harleys. From what I hear the road is a mess. Any comments about weather we can drive our 900 pound Harley baggers through the detours?

Thanks

[Edited on 1-29-2010 by tracyduke]

Tracyduke...

A friend of mine once took their Harleys down Baja and pulled over at a stop where there was another guy with a Harley broke down. My friend told me the guy shreded his drive belt and didn't have a spare! It seems some small rocks get caught up in the drive belt pulleys and proceed to tear up the belt. When my friend and her partners got back to San Diego and checked their drive belts they too had some damage to the belts but were still functioning. So my question to you is...do you carry xtra drive belts? and can you replace them in the field? Also do you have a chase truck accompany you in case of a breakdown ? I know some of those big motorcycles are difficult to replace the drivebelts without major disassembly of parts. Thanks
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 09:04 AM

Michael,

Were they Harley Type road bikes or Enduro/Dirt bikes?

(bright colors vs black leather vests and chrome helmets):lol:

Seriously some lighter bikes would have little difficulty crossing some of those detours while trying it on a big road bike could be a whole nother story. I speak from experience having rode my Yamaha 1300 in and out of Chivato.

Ken
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 09:37 AM

to Chris- thanks for the info. We will take your advice. Initially we had thought that a weekday would be better than a weekend (due to tourist traffic) but your comments about farm equipment etc makes total sense. When we lived in Punta Banda the roads were always busier on weekdays. We are enjoying ourselves in this campground so will probably do the same and just hangout till a week from this Sunday. (Hey, with the superbowl playing you and I may be the only ones on the road!!) To MulegeMike- thanks for the response. I've watched your helpful comments since becoming a member of this board and they are always helpful and insightful. Thanks again to everybody for the input. We'll be heading down on Sunday Feb 7th. Ron and Patty
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 09:41 AM
travel

Perhaps the reason our opinions differ is the vehicles we drive. I am just expressing my opinion that our 39' Class A Diesel Pusher would not have made it over the El Rosario transition. I did drive our 4x4 with our camper on it and it was very chewed up from the 2 wheel drive vehicles trying to get up it. In Vicente Guerrero at Posado Don Diego, Bob a fellow camper told us a green Eco Tour bus took three tries at getting up the hill and the fourth try he went way back gunned it and basically flew up over and onto the road. Also, one good thing about Mallarimo's is the owner Enrique. We were stuck there for five days waiting for the roads to open and he was wonderful so keep in mind it's not only a good place to stop but has good food and good resources. As far as a motorcycle goes, you better be ready to be covered from head to toe in mud. But you won't have any problems traveling.
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 09:43 AM
ABC Buses

I just called ABC Bus station in Ensenada and the buses are now running from TJ to Cabo.
fuelpusher2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 10:31 AM

To Ron & Patty,

We'll be at Mallarimo in GN for Super Bowl (Feb 7th - that's usual for us - then on to Loreto/Tripui the next day.

Road condition reports are relative. Take it all with a grain/pound of salt.
What is a good road for one guy and what he is driving, may not be good for the next guy and what he is driving. Skill and traction also play a role.

As I said before, once traffic starts moving again, it is a good rule of thumb to give it another week. I stand by that.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 10:40 AM

MALARRIMO in Guerrero Negro (one L, 2 Rs)

http://www.malarrimo.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fuelpusher2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 11:53 AM

Sorry..........I stand corrected.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 11:55 AM

Thanks again to all.To Des and Marla- your input on the larger rigs is appreciated. Hope you're enjoying Punta Banda. PB was our home for 2 yrs in the early 90's. Many of our old neighbors moved after the ejido lost the law suit but some stayed. We only have fond memories of the place. To fuelpusher2 your info is much appreciated and understood. Looks like mallarimo's is the place to camp and eat!! We'll do both Malarrimo's and San Ignacio along with several other stops in route to Loreto, La Paz and Todo Santos. Safe travels to all. Ron and Patty
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 11:58 AM

Sorry, forgot to ask in an earlier post. Is Rice and Beans the best place to camp in San Ignacio? Ron
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 12:40 PM
Rice and Beans

There are some other campgrounds in San Ignacio but we prefer it for it's ease of getting into it and Ricardo the owner is very helpful and friendly. We had some friends last year who got four flat tires on the road out to the lagoon to go whale watching and he drove them in his car all the way to Guerrero Negro to get four new tires just because they were camped in his campground. We do two caravans down Baja every year and this is our favorite for whale watching. So if you have time you can book it with Ricardo and he takes you out in his van. Safe travels, Marla.
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 12:48 PM

Posada Don Diego will have the super bowl on the big screen stop and enjoy it.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.