BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12  
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
jdowning

Mood: Optomistic

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 01:38 PM

San Ignacio:
We have stayed many times in San Ignacio and always at Rice & Beans. It is convenient and has full hookups for dumping tanks etc. Restaurant isn't too bad either. Owners are helpful and friendly. We looked at the others and thought R&B better met our needs. Only drawback is noise as it is right next to the highway. But traffic is rare after dark so not too bad. You make a hard 180 degree turn off the highway at the sign and drive down the road less than a mile. Entry looks difficult the first time in but there is a lot of room up there to turn around etc.

We did our whale watching trip at S.Ignacio lagoon and it was fantastic. But if you have a dirt roadworthy toad I would drive it. Those vans are miserable on that road (or were). It is a good road for higher clearance vehicles and has gotten even better from what I have heard. We rented a tent and stayed two nights sleeping on cots. Had a great time. Petted whales, honest!

Go
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuelpusher2
Sorry..........I stand corrected.

Oh, no apology needed! That is one of the most often mis-spelled Baja place names... I am well known here for popping in to provide the right spelling for 'Baja educational purposes only'!

I never correct English spelling errors as those are way too easy to make... Heck, just yesterday I had one typo: wull instead of will, one wrong word: bazaar instead of bizarre, and one mis-spelled word: gaurd instead of guard... and all three in the SAME post!!! LOL:lol:

The most often mis-spelled Baja places seem to be:

Guerrero Negro, Malarrimo, Puertecitos, Los Barriles, San Quintin, Santa Rosalillita, San Vicente, Santo Tomas, Alfonsina's, Loreto, Mulege, Ensenada, Tecate, San Felipe, Tijuana, Bahia Concepcion, Ciudad Constitucion, La Purisima... to name a few! :light::bounce::biggrin::o:lol::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Oh, no apology needed! That is one of the most often mis-spelled Baja place names... I am well known here for popping in to provide the right spelling for 'Baja educational purposes only'!

I never correct English spelling errors as those are way too easy to make... Heck, just yesterday I had one typo: wull instead of will, one wrong word: bazaar instead of bizarre, and one mis-spelled word: gaurd instead of guard... and all three in the SAME post!!! LOL:lol:

Guerrero Negro, Malarrimo, Puertecitos, Los Barriles, San Quintin, Santa Rosalillita, San Vicente, Santo Tomas, Alfonsina's, Loreto, Mulege, Ensenada, Tecate, San Felipe, Tijuana, Bahia Concepcion, Ciudad Constitucion, La Purisima... to name a few! :light::bounce::biggrin::o:lol::yes:

thanks for an update on the road conditions..........

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

thanks for an update on the road conditions..........

Didn't you see the updates already posted? The highway is open now to all traffic.

Maybe you need some more storm photos to be happy?

Here are some sent to me yesterday by Baja Cactus and another friend from El Rosario from during the storm of a week ago:

Colonet:

EL ROSARIO:

Others:

Hwy. 1 become an airstrip:

Happy Woody?

[Edited on 1-30-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 07:21 PM

sorry, i don't need to see more destruction. i just don't want to wade thru crap to get real time info....

maybe it's just me!

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2010 at 07:34 PM

Thanks again. Hope to see some of you on our travels south. Ron and Patty
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 07:09 PM

Have a great trip!

Binger

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 09:30 PM

Ok, back again. A few observations. We passed at least 2 large RV's with cars in tow. They did fine. I see no problem with towing anything right now. Saw tons of buses on the road, going north and south.

So right now, go for it. No problems except for a few bridge delays near San Quentin and finding a bank that is open.

No cattle in roads, just saw a few along the edge but saw no incidents.
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 09:34 PM

banks are closed on sunday and will be closed tomorrow too. Holiday and it is san quintin/ san quentin is a prison

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 01:40 PM

I'm a newbie to this site. I am both amazed and appreciative at all the information, pics and video provided. Thank you to all who take the time to do this for others.

I will be traveling down Baja 1 around 2/11. I have traveled this before to Mulege three times, so I'm familar with it some, but never with road complications like those that exist right now. In the past, I have stayed at Baja Cactus in El Rosario as my overnight stay on the way down and up.

Under the present circumstances, I am wondering if my normal one night stay will work, as I am concerned about the delay in driving time due to the many repairs and alternate routes for bridge bypasses that will come into play. I'd like to hear anyone's comments about travel time that might help me in planning.

Kudos to all the people who have responded so quickly to dealing with a natural disaster and difficult road situation. It's impressive!

Thank you,

Steve
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 01:50 PM

Obviously, you cannot drive as fast over bypass roads as you can on a bridge. So, in the best of circumstances, there will be a certain amount of delay. If planning to stay at Baja Cactus, it would appear that you will encounter only one collapsed bridge as you exit town. So, if you add an hour or two, just in case, to get to El Rosario, I would guess you will have no problem making Mulege in two days.
jdowning

Mood: Optomistic

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 09:30 AM

One other aspect of your drive I haven't heard anyone else address: I would think that besides the major bridges almost every vado from TJ to GN will have some damage. Even if not damaged you certainly wouldn't want to be cruising through the vados as you normally would just in case.

IMHO: this drive is going to take longer due to smaller washouts, damaged road, and eroded shoulders. Speeds and driving times will be affected and not just at the major bridge crossings.

BTW: We decided to vacation in San Carlos, Sonora instead of Baja this year. Guess what? It's been raining since yesterday and we are 'trapped' on the sandy beach by the mud and huge pools of water behind the sand. Well, not trapped, but pleasantly temporarily detained.

Siesta anyone?

Have a safe and fun trip where ever your destination.

IMG_2863 (Medium).JPG - 48kB

Go
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 10:02 AM

I arrived in Mulege yesterday. The road presented no problems. The two bridge bypasses were dry and compact. They took less than three or four minutes to get through. There are some potholes at the bottom of some vados but very little water. The road surface from Catavina south to Jesus Maria was a little rough. Nothing bad to slow you down much. Just keep an eye out for potholes.

The Baja Cactus in El Rosario was wonderful, as usual. It is my dog Paco's favorite place too! Thank you Antonio for building and running such a classy hotel.

Last night we had torrential rains in Mulege. That NEVER happens this time of year. We are supposed to get more today and then it will clear up.

So, all bets are off regarding my road report. Keep a close eye on the weather and hopefully travelling Nomads will keep this thread updated daily. Those bypasses are, afterall, in riverbeds. Rivers???Hell, I am an expert on rivers! :o

Take it easy and stay safe.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 10:23 AM

Thank you!

Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 10:37 AM

Toneart:

Yep, I am interested in not only the bridge conditions (which seem to be manageable now) but also the conditions of the road in the vados as well as road narrowing due to sluffing off at the shoulder. The pothole situation in particluar, see any concentrated areas that might be alignment altering? Bad stretches?

I'll be pulling a utility trailer this time, so I'll be going slower than usual.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 02:44 PM

tony, check yer u2u

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 08:22 PM

Glad to hear you made it with no problems Tony...

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueheart
Toneart:

Yep, I am interested in not only the bridge conditions (which seem to be manageable now) but also the conditions of the road in the vados as well as road narrowing due to sluffing off at the shoulder. The pothole situation in particluar, see any concentrated areas that might be alignment altering? Bad stretches?

I'll be pulling a utility trailer this time, so I'll be going slower than usual.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

Steve,
I covered that in my post too. To repeat: There are occasional potholes at the bottom of some vados but very little water in them, so you can usually see them. I was pulling a boat and had no trouble. Just be aware, slow down while approaching vados and you will be alright.

However, I also said that my whole report could change since I passed through on Sunday and Monday. Look for updated reports from Nomads who have come through after me. It has been raining. I don't know how that has affected the roads. I can tell you that it has been pouring here in Mulege and causing the streets to become mini rivers for the time the torrents let loose. The Orchard is a mud hole. The river wasn't affected though.

For the time that I have been coming here I have never seen it rain like this in this time of year.

Today is sunny though. Yeah!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:39 AM

Wow...still amazed at the amount of water going under Puente Colonet...that would be the Rio San Rafael.......now I understand how the enormous sand benches are created upstream near Mike's Sky Ranch. Thanks for posting some more photos David.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 10:11 AM

Will be coming through Tecate this coming Wednesday on the way to Loreto, driving a loaded down Camry.
Any update on current road conditions will be highly appreciated.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.