BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  13
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 11:44 PM
I just found a pic of Pompano's...

...new RV-Boat...

He's puttin' us on - he's just going to 'plow' right across those flooded arroyos... :yes:

boat rv.jpg - 38kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 02:26 AM
Puente de San Vicente

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by BajaNews]

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 02:33 AM
san vicente

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 02:41 AM

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 05:35 AM

Thanks Antonio and Doug for the news updates... Wow, it is maybe worse than '79... ?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 07:13 AM

Well, here we are again in La Paz and bridges washed out on the highway back home. In 1979 the same thing happened and we crossed over at Laguna Chapala and went home through San Felipe. This part of Baja is in the rain shadow and doesn't get the same impact from heavy rains. And...that way is greatly improved since 1979. We did check at the ranch next to the dry lake and confirmed it was "no problema". So it looks like that may be our alternative this time too. The dry lake was full of water then and we had no problem driving up from La Paz by this route. We'll wait a few days, gather info, then head back home via Puertecitos.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 07:44 AM

Received and email from a friend in Puertecitos and said a lot of traffic is going through the last day or so both ways and even trucks
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 09:09 AM
Communications blackout over...

It seems the repair crews sent by air to correct the communications blackout have been successful.

The San Quintín area electricity has been restored (at least in most places) and also phone and cellular services are working again... internet services as well.

Bridges are still out... they kept receiving a lot of rain last night down there and therefore the creeks and rivers are still high in water... repair crews cannot begin to work until they come down.

The bridge in El Rosario is still down and the water on that river bed is high... many people stranded on the south side... water and food supplies are still being crossed on buckets and ropes to help the people on that side.

Things are slowly getting back to normal... Having electricity and a way to communicate with the area is a huge relief... now we have to wait for nature to cooperate.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
DFir

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 09:17 AM

Hello Everyone...new guy here...I am planning on driving to Mulege Feb 12-15 sometime. IF the road is not open or it's still super slow what would be my best alternative, back roads or go to Guaymas and take the ferry accross? I'm driving a 4x4 Dodge pickup, so I could suffer through the bad road, but the ferry sounds easier (except I'm a few inches too long for the pickup rate and I don't know what it might cost). Any advise/ opinions gladly accepted!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 09:20 AM

antonio...thanks so much for your regular updates...please keep us in the loop regarding the bridge repairs if you can.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 09:20 AM

Is the toll road open to south Rosarito???
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Is the toll road open to south Rosarito???

Yes
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 09:44 AM
Storm Watch

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
It seems the repair crews sent by air to correct the communications blackout have been successful.

The San Quintín area electricity has been restored (at least in most places) and also phone and cellular services are working again... internet services as well.

Bridges are still out... they kept receiving a lot of rain last night down there and therefore the creeks and rivers are still high in water... repair crews cannot begin to work until they come down.

The bridge in El Rosario is still down and the water on that river bed is high... many people stranded on the south side... water and food supplies are still being crossed on buckets and ropes to help the people on that side.

Things are slowly getting back to normal... Having electricity and a way to communicate with the area is a huge relief... now we have to wait for nature to cooperate.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

Thanks so much Antonio for the updates. There are a lot of us stuck here in Guerrero Negro although we are grateful to be safe and warm unlike some others. I realize you are not an expert but having so much experience down here what would your guess be as to how many days it will be until the traffic might flow north?? A picture of the damage to your bridge would be awesome if you could post it!! Thanks, Marla.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 10:00 AM

Antonio is not in El Rosario...

"I just saw some very impressive video images on the local news in Tijuana (Jan 22, 18:00) about the bridge in San Vicente..."

Which has got to be hard on him not being able to get to his businesses if he needs to now!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
I am planning to leave Salt Lake City tomorrow morning to drive to LA area, <snip> I may be traveling with Pompano who is planning to cross on Friday or Saturday.
Rich

Cool:cool::cool:....I am looking forward to his travel pics and account;D

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 10:22 AM
El Rosario bridge...

An estimate in repairs is very hard to get... in the past, the SCT crews did not begin repairs until the water flows came down... if they work the same way this time it will be up to nature to decide when they can start to work.

Once they can begin repairs a lot can be done with the appropriate machinery... perhaps a day or so in each bridge to create a temporary pass on the river bed (assuming there is little or no water flowing on it)... we have four bridges down... if they work fast maybe 3-4 days to have the traffic flowing once waters subside... again... very difficult to make an estimate.

Regarding the bridge in El Rosario... I just got this picture from my staff down there... it was taken on Jan 23rd, at 7:30 am.

We need to be patient my friends... everything will be back to normal... just have to wait.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

El Rosario bridge.jpg - 47kB

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 10:34 AM
storm watch

Thanks so much, we appreciate all the info. Can you attach the picture, it did not come through. thanks, Marla.
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 10:35 AM
oops

Sorry, it just took a while to download but it's there.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 10:35 AM

OMG!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
An estimate in repairs is very hard to get... in the past, the SCT crews did not begin repairs until the water flows came down... if they work the same way this time it will be up to nature to decide when they can start to work.

Once they can begin repairs a lot can be done with the appropriate machinery... perhaps a day or so in each bridge to create a temporary pass on the river bed (assuming there is little or no water flowing on it)... we have four bridges down... if they work fast maybe 3-4 days to have the traffic flowing once waters subside... again... very difficult to make an estimate.

Regarding the bridge in El Rosario... I just got this picture from my staff down there... it was taken on Jan 23rd, at 7:30 am.

We need to be patient my friends... everything will be back to normal... just have to wait.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

WOW... I imagine the other half of El Rosario (in Abajo) is cut off, as well... They don't even have bridge to them... you have to drive in the river bed to get there!

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by David K]

El Rosario bridge.jpg - 47kB

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.