BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 12:56 PM

I'm guessing that there are at least a few nomads with backgrounds in some engineering discipline. Just wondering, even given the incredible forces of nature, how it is that so many bridges seem to fail, and some repeatedly. Are they building on the cheap in some cases? The El Rosario bridge damage is stunning. Reminds me of repeated failures at El Tule near Cabo. And then, there was that bridge failure on the almost new toll road from SJD airport. Is this all random? Or is there some blame to be assessed?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 01:32 PM

whatever the reason, blame is for later. let's hope they can get these bridges fixed or the rain stops so people can proceed with their "normal?" lives....

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 01:38 PM

From what I've observed during construction of the highway and the bridges in the early 1970's was that the bridge abutments and column bents were not placed on piles but used spread footings.

Spread footings are fine if properly designed and placed deep enough where in a high flow situation, they are not undermined by raging water. Because of upstream and downstream mining operations by the locals, the flowline elevation of the streambed will lower during high flows and wash out improperly designed spread footings.

Bridges built using piles and spread footings will generally hold up better and are less costly to repair since the spans don't usually collapse. Let's just say I've never seen a pile driver used on the northern half of the Baja highway during it's initial construction.

Another problem is a raging river will change course and wash out the embankment at the bridge abutments. This is easy to repair as long as the abutment is intact.

Many years experiance as a civil engineer and highway construction resident engineer.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 05:49 PM

any updates as to whether or not they have plowed through the arroyos past the bridges to open the hwy?..i'm headed down tomorrow so it would be nice to know if i'll be able to get to mulege????

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:04 PM

You won't get past Ensenada. Maybe Manaeadero.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:08 PM
road conditions

The Federales (Hwy Patrol) are estimating 3 more days according to Enrique the owner of Mallarimos. Certain cities are starting to run out of propane, gas and diesel. If you are not already stranded somewhere (like us in Guerrero Negro), stay home until you know the road is open. That way the trucks will have time to deliver supplies, gas, propane and water before you will need them coming south. Just my opinion but after three days of being stranded, you will wish you were not!! The campground here is filling up and many have said they wished they would have had someone tell them how bad it is. I am telling you, if you are south enjoying the sun, do NOT head north yet. We will start posting the minute we hear the roads are open. Safe travels, Marla.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:12 PM

I think it is safe to say the highway is closed from Maneadero to G. Negro at this time.
3 days minimum. My guess is 1 week and maybe more.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:21 PM

Many thanks for the updates-we have already been on the road and were to cross the border tomorrow morning on our way to Mulege. We are currently in Los Angeles with a full truck and towing a small trailer. Will reconsider our options and wait it out. Just another adventure for us. Our hearts and thoughts are with all those affected by these events.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:23 PM

Come on down to Ensenada and enjoy the wait

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:28 PM

How's it looking over at San Filepe?
Wait it out over there. Probably warmer than Ensenada.
Cut across on Hwy 3 when Hwy 1 opens back up.

Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:29 PM

I just talked to someone who went north to Lake Chapala to look at the Gonzaga Bay route and turned back as the lake is actually a lake. -- no go.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:33 PM

From the hiway side or coming from San Filepe?

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 06:53 PM

We are on our way to Mulege, stuck in LA, waiting. Any hard info on the San Felipe/Puertecitos route?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 07:05 PM

As a veteran of the Jan '93 El Nino storms and collapsed bridges in the San Quintin area where we were stranded for 3 1/2 weeks, I can tell you it is NOT fun after a while.

We learned that the truckers were a reliable source of road information. More importantly, when the big trucks can get through, then the fuel trucks can get through. Until then, you don't want to be stranded at a Pemex with 100 of your newest amigos all awaiting fuel delivery.

No matter how badly you want to get home or to travel south, do not get on the road until it's confirmed that the roads are passable and bypasses have been made down in the riverbeds since repairs on the major bridges can take a long time if there has been severe damage.

Luckily we were in our camper so we were fairly comfortable for the first few days, but eventually you run out of water... and food... and potty facilities...

Also, if you're in a town with a bank, stay there! At least you can replenish your pesos if your visit extends longer than you hoped.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
I just talked to someone who went north to Lake Chapala to look at the Gonzaga Bay route and turned back as the lake is actually a lake. -- no go.

Paulclark is referencing the same road you are asking about.
If you get to San Filepe you won't get any farther south.
Not a bad place to wait it out. But I think you would still end up going through Ensenada.
When the hiway opens.

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Come on down to Ensenada and enjoy the wait

Suggestions on nice places to hang out in an RV?
kenahuff

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 08:38 PM
rooms in ensenada

are all the rooms full in town?? we are headed to Loreto, but would not mind spending time in Ensenada if we can't make it past that.
thanks for all the posts
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 08:39 PM

From Antonio (BajaCactus) via an email in my inbox that arrived at 4:41pm today...

Looks like the photos are from a cell phone.

---------------------------
Could you please post these images... My staff sent them to me about 4 hrs ago, but I am not at home or the office at the time.

It seems people are getting desperate to cross over the bridge at El Rosario... Also, about three hrs ago some fishermen went to the gas station asking for some fuel for their "pangas" (fishing boats) to cross the river on them and bring the people on the other side to the town.

Thanks my friend.

Antonio
BajaCactus
---------------------------

[Edited on 1-24-2010 by BajaNomad]

IMG00341.jpg - 6kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 08:42 PM

Another photo of the bridge...

IMG00339.jpg - 8kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaBB&Bugs

[*] posted on 1-23-2010 at 08:53 PM

Just did the detour route off 1 to San Felipe today. Started off in Loreto heading north this morning and just made it to San Felipe tonight.
Approaching Guerrero Negro there were some vados with running water over them. Nothing major. Then close to Vizcaino a long, deep wash. Looks like the whole town turned out to watch the brave (or stupid) made the crossing. We made it ok, but that was just the beginning. Had to cross 2 more raging washes. Finally I had to take care of some "business" and I happened to be at the turn off for San Felipe. Just then a pick-up was coming south from Cataviña. He was headed back to Guerrero Negro, but I told him the washes were running hard and getting deeper. He said he watched the last one we crossed for 3 hours the day before and decided to head back to Cataviña for the night. As we were talking a police truck was heading towards us from San Felipe direction. We asked how the road was and they said it should be good except for a real ugly part just down the road from us. So we chanced it. Just 5 mins down the road a good 30' of road was gone, washed out. Some guys were trying to make it work throwing tires and filling them in to make the transition from road to washed out section and back up easier to do. I was the last of about 5 trucks to make it through. It was pretty hairy.

The good news is that it was pretty straight forward from there, except for a wash or two (or three) filled with rutted and loose sand. 4X4 wasn't a requirement because I followed a Ford F-150 4X2 that made it and he followed a Toyota Tacoma lowboy 4X2!! I had to congratulate that guy after he made that big jump. Not so sure he's in alignment now, though. But at least he's moving in the direction he needed to go. I have a Toyota Tundra 4X4.

3-4 days in Cataviña with the possibility of another storm moving in within a few days was not something I wanted to do. Thankfully it worked out. An added bonus was that the new pavement south of Puertecitos started WAY earlier that I expected! It was a beautiful sight to see! Fresh new blacktop around 8-12 miles south of Puertecitos. Can't wait til they make it all the way to 1!

However, since it was my first trip on 5 I didn't understand how serious they were when they said "ZONA DE VADOS". I bottomed out pretty good on the first one going about 60. Then the second one surprised me, too. By the third one I was almost sliding sideways into it trying to slow down. Lesson learned.

Our hearts go out to all those stuck or otherwise inconvenienced. Be careful out there.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.