BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 02:59 PM

Can someone post Antonio's number for TonyC and any other numbers that might help.
I'll try to call the ABC bus in TJ and see if they are running yet.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 03:15 PM

I just checked the ABC bus out of TJ to El Rosario.
No bus tickets are available for today. So either they are sold out or no buses today.
Tomorrow they have like 10 buses running. So I think tomorrow is the day the hiway is okay.
But if you really want to know call them.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 03:17 PM

how does Antonio's # help the guy? how soft some have become. if they are saying you can make it what more do you need? are you gonna sit and second, third, fourth guess yourself and wait until the next storm before setting out?

just go!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 03:32 PM

Damn straight Woody!!!

Okay Tony, that's 2 votes for "Go for it"
I'm starting a poll!

Maybe he could call Antonio to make sure he has fuel incase Tony needs some.

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 04:29 PM
Fuel at BajaCactus...

This was our fuel inventory at BajaCactus on Jan 24, 2010, at 3:00pm:

Magna: 41040 lts
Premium: 45817 lts
Diesel: 43807 lts

As you can see we have plenty of fuel at the moment... Pemex told us it could take at least 3-4 days until we can be resupplied.

Since yesterday, we have been dealing with people trying to take our fuel by barrels... maybe with the hopes of reselling it when it becomes unavailable in the area... we are refusing to sell it this way, so we can protect anyone coming through, making sure they can continue on their way.

On the other hand, if there is anything anyone think we can do for you, please feel free to contact me, anytime, at my personal e-mail: info*at*bajacactus.com.

Also, you can contact us at our phones at BajaCactus:

From Mexico (616) 165-8850 and (616) 165-8700
From the US (619) 694-1082

We are here for anyone needing assistance or help.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBB&Bugs
Just did the detour route off 1 to San Felipe today. Started off in Loreto heading north this morning and just made it to San Felipe tonight.

Finally I had to take care of some "business" and I happened to be at the turn off for San Felipe.

which "turnoff for san felipe" did you take? chapala to gonzaga and then north?:?:

Yes Woody... the Chapala/ Coco's Corner/ Gonzaga road... he described it in great detail earlier... a BIG washout was 5 mins. from leaving Hwy. 1, but a low 2WD Tacoma got through, he said.

For others who didn't read the Gonzaga Road Report in Marv Sherrill's thread: The road is passable in 2WD... just very rough between Gonzaga and Huerfanito... as it has been for 5 years.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

nickmol

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 06:26 PM
Vicente Guerrero Bridge status

Here are some photos of the bridge at Vicente Guerrero

http://picasaweb.google.com/NMolatore

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaNomad]
baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 06:56 PM

Thank you for the info Antonio..we appreciate it. We are going to wait a week or so and see how things are. Anxious to get down there but not wanting to play in all the mud....
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 07:22 PM

oh wow! thanks for the photos. So how is traffic getting across?
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 08:08 PM
San Vicente Bridge

Wow thanks for the great photos. It shows those of us stuck south that progress is on it's way. Would it be possible for you to let us know when cars are able to cross northbound??
baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 10:16 PM

How did you guys see the photos? I tried copy and paste into my browser..and got nothing...help please
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja-spirit
How did you guys see the photos? I tried copy and paste into my browser..and got nothing...help please

http://picasaweb.google.com/NMolatore

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 10:22 PM

Thank you David...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 10:25 PM

No problemo amigo!

BajaBB&Bugs

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 10:31 PM

Hey Woody...

Sorry, it was the turn off about 40 miles south of Catavina going toward Las Arrastras. Make sense? It was my first time out there. Always talked about doing it. Thought I'd be more "prepared" to do it. (food, tire repair kit, better jack, etc...) But all in all, it was 4 hours of nut and bolt rattling fun! (did I just call it fun???)

Incidentally, I started with 3/4 of a tank of gas and ended up in San Felipe with just under a 1/2. It's a 23 gallon tank. I average 12-15 mpg normally.

Still can't believe I made it as I sit at home in AZ now...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-24-2010 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
Magna: 41040 lts
Premium: 45817 lts
That totals just slightly under 23,000 US Gallons of automotive gasoline available for those not familiar with the calculation.

Thank you for the updates Antonio.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 01:22 PM
Bridges condition...

Hi,

This is the information we have so far, gathered from several sources.

As of today (Jan 25, 2010, 10:00am), the bridges are still down and a permanent and final repair will take some time… in the meantime, temporary bypasses have been made on the river beds… high clearance vehicles are crossing, sometimes with the aid of tractors that pull them as needed.

Heavy traffic is still not able to cross these affected areas, therefore the San Quintín area has little or no supply of fuel. Pemex estimates at least a couple of days until their truck pipes can begin distribution again.

In Col. Vicente Guerrero, farmers are really desperate for fuel and to be able to move their produce... they have organized themselves and are clearing a path up the creek with their own machinery... (to the east of the collapsed bridge, near the hills)... where there is more possibilities for a safe cross. After crossing the creek, this bypass will then reconnect with the main highway. They expect to have a safe way to cross tomorrow afternoon.

At the BajaCactus Gas Station, we have enough fuel for the next 3-4 days (we have limited our sales to full tanks on the vehicles)… we believe truck pipes will be able to resupply us before we ran out.

Food and other supplies in the area are also scarce… locals are beginning to get a little desperate… however the water levels on the creeks are slowly but steadily dropping, everyone knows this and are doing their best to patiently wait until things come back to normal.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
Binger

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 01:28 PM
Fresh update on road conditions, Highway 1

I just got off the phone with the Malarrimo Hotel in Guerro Negro and the clerk there gave me a just and I mean just released road condition report. The police report said that all roads will be open by either 8 or 9PM this evening.

He said to allow 7 hours driving time from Ensenada to GN plus an extra 1/2 hour for traveling thru the arroyos on the two bridges that were out.

Said lots of trucks stranded that should move out in a few days.

Report sounds good. I will keep everyone advised.

Thanks, Binger
baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 01:55 PM

Thanks Antonio and Binger.. appreciate the updates... We are thinking next Monday to head out
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2010 at 02:13 PM
New update... Jan 25, 2010, 13:00 hrs

Traffic has been restored in all areas... with some difficulties but there is a way to pass.

San Vicente... right now it has a path on the river bed which can be crossed by high clearance vehicles and even small vehicles on their own. The local farmers have gathered all their available machinery and are building a temporary base for the collapsed portion of the bridge, with huge stones from the area. It is expected to a have a partially restored bridge by tonight, without pavement but for every type of vehicle.

Col. Guerrero... also has a path on the river bed, which now can be crossed by high clearance vehicles on their own and small vehicles aided by tractors. The long bypass up the creek that was being worked on was suspended... everyone turned their machinery to the main bridge, and following San Vicente's example, are working on a temporary base for it. They expect to have a semi-functional bridge by tonight.

El Rosario... this is another story... 4x4's are now crossing on their own, high clearance vehicles, semis and RV's can also cross aided by tractors and a couple of bulldozers (sent by Los Pinos by the way)... small vehicles are being crossed on a truck with a platform... it sounds like an adventure but there is a way through.

If the upcoming announced rain does not get the water levels to high, there should be no problem for continuing crossing these damaged areas.

Safe travel everyone...

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.