Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Puerto Canoas
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 11:10 AM
Puerto Canoas

I had an inquiry regarding this spot, and I am ashamed to say, I've never been there, and I keep telling Jack we need two weeks off in August to investigate. But, yikes, that means taking time away from the big Nov-Dec event.

Heh you hard core guys and gals, what's the scoop ? Where is the turnoff ? Is it safe ? Grov, didn't you mention people were getting hassled down there ?

I could only find a Mexican site, which said you needed a 4-wheel drive, and to bring everything in.

Anyone have any pictures?

What are the waves like?

I also read that this area was targeted for the Escalera Nautica, any updates?

I always thought the bluffs around El Rosario looked like Del Mar 40 years ago.

Gracias.

xxxooo

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 06:02 PM

The turnoff is marked on the AAA maps by Rancho Guayaquil about an hour south of El Rosario. Road in isn't too bad except for bad chalk dust area as you get close to Canoas. Been there twice, not too much swell, but looks like a fun setup at camp and point.

[Edited on 7-9-2004 by Mexitron]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 08:04 PM

46 miles from El Rosario is the signed graded road to PUERTO DE SANTA CATARINA (29?57.53', 115?06.09') and this is also the road to PUNTA CANOAS and the 'Seven Sisters' coast on south.

A second access road is 7.2 miles north of Catavina and is signed FARO SAN JOSE.

This area is best navigated with a GPS and the Baja Almanac http://www.baja-almanac.com Also, it is one of the many areas of Baja even I have NOT been to! ("So much Baja... yada yada yada").

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-8-2004 at 08:08 PM
Even you haven't been there?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 08:35 PM
That's Right JR

I have often said there is and always will be a lot more of Baja that I have not been to than been to. "SO MUCH BAJA, SO LITTLE TIME!"

One just can't see it all and that keeps it a prime destination for me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 09:09 PM

David K--unless you've got 4WD, accessing the seven sisters from the Canoas road south isn't a good idea--pretty bad road, especially if its been a wet year.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 10:01 PM

This is great information, thank you everyone, and Bryon I hope you are reading this.

It kind of looks like the coast up here used to look.

Hope it will be around for awhile.

Thank you again.

xxxooo

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2004 at 07:27 AM

I've never been in this area either and would like to explore there...with my surfboard.....
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 08:08 AM

The road to Puerto Canoas is the one and only time in all my trips to Baja that I was hastled by the Mexican Military. We were stopped in the middle of the desert for a typical search (you know the type... "Do you have any guns or drugs or large knives?"). While my friend and I bantered with the men and gave them drinks and a roll of parachute chord (they needed shoe laces for their boots) another rifled through the cab and stole $100.00 from my friends stash. Granted, you don't leave your money out of your sight, but at the same time you don't expect to get ripped off while you are already giving stuff away. ANYWAY.... as for the road itself, it is a creampuff (we pulled a trailer with a buggy all the way in.). And yes, it does start at Rancho Guayaquil. When we got to Conoas, the surf was GI Joe size. But it does look like if you catch it on the right swell... ahhh, you know the story. Oh yeah, the wind was HOWLING. Damn near blew our tent right out to sea. If you want to make a great trip out of it you could easily start there and work your way south along the Seven Sisters. The road gets a bit dicey at times, but I was just there in April and not once did I use four wheel drive and we only had two flat tires. The road from Punta Blanca has recently been graded, so if you want to see the place before the hoards get to it, I'd go soon. That's a beautiful stretch of coast, with almost no one there. Let me know if you get any surf!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 12:03 PM

Bajaandy--did you take the coastal road south from Canoas to Blanca thru Los Morros or did you come in on the Faro San Jose road or did you take the Canoas road that heads back inland to the San Jose road? Or did you turn off the Lazaro drainage and head down the Cuervito Drainage to San Jose? The coastal road would be tough with a trailer I would think....
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 05:27 PM

Mexitron,
We took the coast road. But please forgive, I was actually talking about a couple of different trips in the same post. The last time I was there we had no trailer. I agree that it could be a bit 'interesting' hauling a trailer.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 04:20 PM
is it feasible to try

to navigate this road in a 2wd ranger. considering the rains seem to be coming this winter, is it even worth a try? don't want to make the entire circuit, just get to the coast and find a nice spot to camp/surf. should i wait for spring and hopefully drier conditions or am i being too worried? i know my limitations off road and i realize a breakdown or an axle sucking mud puddle is a serious issue. any advise? thanks
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 10:28 AM
Canoas 2wd

Absent a ton of rain, you'll probably make it (from the FIRST access road....the second one es solo 4wd) but don't skimp on your shovel & jack. That said, if you get there and it starts raining, hard anyway, you could have some issues. The road basically spills out at an arroyo and I've heard tell of lengthy washouts (not a bad thing really if you have enough Tecate). HOWEVER, I would not attempt the road south to Maria's, etc. in a 2wd. Bad call.

The wave itself is a fun if not hollow right. Can be fat or racy depending on direction. Sucks in the summer. Not really a secret spot but still well off the everyday radar so travelling in small, trustworthy groups still ideal. :-)

One word of advice: bring booties. The campsite itself (the popular one anyway) is quite some distance from the point proper and paddling up there - against the current - is not doable. Translastion: every morning you will be doing a long and slow Baja boulder dance to the paddle out spot, something only hobbits should do barefoot. Happily, you can surf your way back to camp.

Best of luck.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 04:33 PM

thanks bro...

Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 03:03 PM
Camping

BigZagging, if summer sucks, when is the best chances of getting good waves? How is the camping during that time of year? I was at Punta Maria about 9 years ago during Memorial day. The surf was OK but we surfed mainly of the point. Even at the end of May the weather was pretty cool at night. I got in from the south via 1976 chevrolet 2wd, no problem. watch out for coyote banidos. During the night the cotoyes would come in to camp open ice chests with their snouts and steal everything they could. Good thing we could catch fish for dinner.

Big Al

[Edited on 11-18-2004 by Big Al]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 04:24 PM

Winter season(NW swells) is best for surf in the Sisters. Access to Maria and Cono no problem for 2WD. Past Cono, silt beds can be deep by late summer or mudponds in winter after heavy rain. Best driving in spring after rains have stopped and silt is compacted. 4WD/high clearance suggested, just in case. Got a pic Taco de Baja?:biggrin:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 04:36 PM
mexitron

which way would you suggest accessing from (south)? i know south from canoas there are bad/2wd impassable area. san jose road a friend told me to do it but i'm hearing here not advisable. from the south the baja almanac shows a (good) road. what would you suggest-taking into account any rains that may fall up to a week before we travel (leaving dec18).

Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

Mood: :bounce:

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 05:12 PM

Margie & all,

This is what Punta Canoas looks like from space!

Got to Surf!!
Visit my Baja Satellite image art at: http://www.satprints.com
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

Mood: :bounce:

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 05:12 PM

Got to Surf!!
Visit my Baja Satellite image art at: http://www.satprints.com
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 05:27 PM
Satellite Man...

Got my two satellite pic's (Mulege & Baja) yesterday, in good shape. Thanks for the prompt service. Now I've got to go find some frames to show em' off!

All the best.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.