Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Age when you decided to make the plunge
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 03:19 PM
Age when you decided to make the plunge

Another question that was asked here on this thread "Age of Nomads living in Baja" has inspired me to ask what age made you finally make the plunge.

For many of you ex-pat's that live permantently in Baja... what made you decide to move and leave everything behind, knowingly or unknowingly and where your destination would be?

This question only apply's to people who do not have the "security" of a home in the north.

I would make this into a Poll but don't know how.

[Edited on 1-31-2010 by Barbareno]
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:10 PM

RR Retirement kicked in at 62 and I was gone to Baja.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:15 PM

Barbareno....see up at the top right in every thread, there's a button for "New Post" & right next to it is a button for "New Poll". It would be easier to read the results consolidated as a poll, at least on the age portion of the question.;)
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:16 PM

We could have done it 3 years ago before the market died.
We should have.
We waited because of the kids.
You don't have kids.
You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Check your budget realistically and if you can,
GO FOR IT !
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
For many of you ex-pat's that live permantently in Baja... what made you decide to move and leave everything behind, knowingly or unknowingly and where your destination would be?

This question only apply's to people who do not have the "security" of a home in the north.

That is a blunt distinction, as for many, self included, that transition is sometimes a process rather than a moment. For me, the moment I decided was back in the 70's (age 18) when I KNEW I would live here some day , for however long.... Another moment was when I actually bought my property 4+ years ago, age 50.... The process, however is still in motion, since I have a couple more years to work (and save) and some building to do in Baja.... it is all a fun adventure and long time love affair for me.

Most of my expat neighbors still have SOME sort of place "back home" even though they are lucky enough to live as long as they like (each stretch) in Baja.

Anyway, I too am curious about other's stories, their "moments" and their processes. We all share in the adventure, and I TRY to learn from others' experiences and the insights they've acquired.

djh

[Edited on 1-31-2010 by djh]

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:21 PM

This kinda really interests me too :lol:
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:24 PM

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:27 PM

The answers will be all over the place. I will say that by limiting it to people who are full-time Baja residents, you may be also limiting the sample pool based on wealth. Face it. If folks can afford two places to live, it changes the decision making process. For instance, for someone able to have two addresses, places such as Loreto, Mulege, or La Paz, which are wickedly hot and humid in the summer, become attractive locations for those who may only wish to live there 7-8 months of the year.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:37 PM

I moved permanently to Mexico at 56 to achieve the American dream. It just wasn't comfortably within reach otherwise.

I don't consider a mortgage as ownership.

[Edited on 1-31-2010 by k-rico]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
This kinda really interests me too :lol:

I hope she's planning to take you with !! :lol:
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 04:49 PM

39 moved to Penasco then over to San Felipe. Now 49. Reality is might have to go back.
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 05:03 PM

45 when we moved -- now 58 -- not due to wealth as we still work and made the move for new adventures and experiences in life and took advantage of the opportunities available.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 05:09 PM

42=weekend house in La Mision. 48=married my beautiful Mexican wife. 51 next month=out of here by the end of the year:yes:
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 05:19 PM

52. Accepted offers that we could not refuse. Best move that we ever made.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 05:19 PM

bajabass hits upon another issue in the equation. Many nomads of the male persuasion had the good fortune to find romance and more with a Mexican citizen, which makes the idea of living South of the border all that more attractive for many reasons. If there are any Gringas out there who accomplished the same feat with a Mexican male, (Shari Bondy excepted) please identify yourselves.:tumble:
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 06:22 PM

Great advice. I did it when I was 46. Wished I had done it years earlier...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
We could have done it 3 years ago before the market died.
We should have.
We waited because of the kids.
You don't have kids.
You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Check your budget realistically and if you can,
GO FOR IT !

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
Another question that was asked here on this thread "Age of Nomads living in Baja" has inspired me to ask what age made you finally make the plunge.

I would make this into a Poll but don't know how.

Barbareno, two things you said in your post lead me to believe that you're not quite ready to make "the plunge"...."leave everything behind" & "people who do not have the "security" of a home in the north." IMO, you haven't totally embraced making a full-time, permanent move to Asuncion; there are doubts in your mind whether or not it's the right thing for you to do, regardless of your age. I think this post is a good start to get your doubts out on the table & let others share their thoughts & feelings with their own personal experiences. I think it's good to have concerns rather than just moving blindly forward, but at some point it has to FEEL totally right for you to take the plunge. I feel concerns are good, but lingering doubts could doom you to failure.

Look forward toward what you'll be gaining, the amazing lifestyle change you'll experience rather that what you'll be leaving behind.

That said, here's how I came to be in La Paz………

I took a 2-week vacation to La Paz with my sister-in-law in March 1998. I loved it here! The FIRST day back from vacation, I found out that my job of 18-years with The Boeing Company was going to be outsourced to IBM. I interviewed with IBM & received a job offer to stay in the same job, same desk, supporting the same customer base. I accepted that offer on a straight across basis…my time, salary, benefits, etc. went with me. IBM left me on the Boeing account for approximately 6 months before moving me to Consolidated Freightways, in downtown Portland. Four different freeways & a 1-hour commute each way on a good day! I hated the commute, I hated the job; there was no challenge to it, no personal job satisfaction whatsoever.

In October 1998 I brought my then 81-year-old mother to La Paz with the idea of looking for property to buy when I was financially able to retire....the time-line in my mind at that time was when I was 60-62. Mom went from trying to discourage me by telling me there was no way I could live in a 3rd world country because I’d miss all the conveniences I’d always had in my life in the states....to telling me if I didn’t buy the piece of waterfront property which we happened to be standing on at the moment, that I’d be stupid!:lol: I did buy it, but with the idea that I wouldn’t be able to afford to retire, move & build for 8-10 years. Boy, was I wrong!:bounce:

The FIRST day back at Consolidated Freightways after that vacation, I found out that IBM was offering a resignation incentive package of 3-month severance pay & 6-month medical/dental coverage to certain job classifications, mine included. I jumped on it! I resigned as of December 31, 1998.

I began getting rid of non-essential possessions in both my home & my mothers’ home....the rule was neither of us got rid of anything we weren't totally willing to part with! I put both our homes on the market, sold Moms' 3 vehicles. I spent the next year researching the hell out of retiring & living in Mexico. When my home sold, I had United Van Lines pack all my household goods & put them into storage & moved to Moms. When her place sold, United packed all her possessions & added it to mine in storage. I got FM3’s for each of us & bought a 22’ Minnie Winnebago for us to live in during construction & we left Portland in November 1999.

I felt I’d lost control of my own life through a seemingly endless series of crap that happened, beginning with the death of my father in 1996, when I applied for relocation to Boeing Portland for Moms' sake. The company relocated me & I sold my home of 19 years in the Seattle area the first week I listed it. I bought a new home in Clackamas, 5 miles from Mom. Then things started going downhill....my dog & I were attacked by a pit bull on the Oregon coast (dog to vet with bite wounds, me to ER with a bad bite left knee, mine got infected, 1 month on crutches), a few months later, I crushed my left foot with my own car:O (I didn’t get it into park before leaping out to save my dog from a huge Chocolate lab in front of Mom’s, realized it was still rolling & tried to get back in, but it pulled me face-down & the rear tire rolled over my left foot crushing it into gravel, pine needles & bunny poop! No broken bones, just extensive soft tissue damage & 6 weeks on crutches.) Then I had a very bad reaction to a spider bite on the back of my left thigh....was rear-ended on the way to work the day I was turning in my resignation paperwork to IBM! I decided it was time to take all the lemons life was throwing my way & set up my own lemonade stand (euphemistically speaking) in La Paz!! I was down here permanently a year after buying my property & haven’t looked back since! Absolutely no regrets! For me personally this was the best decision I ever made!

Mom, now 92, was down here for 2 years before the heat got to her, she missed her friends & opted to go back to Portland.

I was 53 when I moved, I liquidated all my assets in the USA & used that money to began building my first casa. We lived on Mom's $830 a month SS for the first two years until my Being retirement kicked in at age 55 & I just got a raise when my SS kicked in the end of 2009. Life is good!:spingrin:

Edit typo

[Edited on 2-1-2010 by longlegsinlapaz]
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 07:08 PM

Way to go Legz...

Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 07:42 PM

Life is good! Long Legs that is the exact story I wanna hear. For encouragement? No...just the facts mam.

You pegged it by asking or questioning my post in if in fact I am ready to make the move. Of course I have doubts, who wouldn't, and I thank you for your honesty.

[Edited on 2-1-2010 by Barbareno]
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2010 at 07:54 PM

longlegs:
that is a great story!

sbwontoo
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.