Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: My new plane!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 04:53 PM
My new plane!

Not really. But I did get some info about the DC-3 parked at Ensenada airport.

http://www.usedairplanes.com/Multi-Engine-Piston/Douglas-DC-...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 05:18 PM

Admittedly, I'm no aviation expert, save for the fact that for almost a decade, I flew all around the country for business reasons and have been a passenger in just about every commercial transport ever built....But this plane is older than I am. Nostalgia be dammmmned, just wondering how safe this bird can still be. Not to mention fuel efficiency. I must mention though, I thought this bird, or a similar one has been transporting passengers from SD to the San Ignacio Lagoon for the past several years. No?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 05:30 PM

Yes it is old. But if it is in decent shape it will last a long time and be safe to fly.
It may be the same plane that flys to San Ignacio. I don't know.
Does anyone know if the aerial photo is over Ensenada? Looks like Hotel Coral Marina maybe.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 05:31 PM

How about one of these? Screw the airstrip problems and land wherever your fishing charter is sitting.

http://www.buyplanesforsale.com/aircraft/details/1953-dhc-2-...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 05:39 PM

INHO, the photo you speak of, would not support your theory. The topography just doesn't work. not to mention the relative lack of development.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Does anyone know if the aerial photo is over Ensenada? Looks like Hotel Coral Marina maybe.

Yeah...I think it is. The plane hides the University but the marina in front of the Coral is clear. Sauzal harbor is visible in the distance.
I had to think about it. I haven't seen that area from the air for about twelve years. The Marina wasn't there at that time.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 09:10 AM

sweet ride... great price.

i'd hate to eat the hourly maintenance though.

get a very nice Beech 18 for same money and run it a lot cheaper. just as much fun.
Baja / Cortez Airlines dejavu all over again...:tumble:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
sweet ride... great price.

i'd hate to eat the hourly maintenance though.

get a very nice Beech 18 for same money and run it a lot cheaper. just as much fun.
Baja / Cortez Airlines dejavu all over again...:tumble:

Check this one out...

BEECHCRAFT H-18S TRI GEAR

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 08:18 PM

For Fishbuck et al:
Anybody who loves a DC3/C47 is a buddy of mine! When I grow up I'm gonna own one.

Clay Lacy has one.....a complete restoration of a UAL (United Air Lines) Mainliner. It is perfect. When he comes to San Diego with it he parks it behind my hangar at the San Diego Aerospace Museum Restoration Hangar which is just out the back door of my hangar. Next time he does that I'm gonna steal it.

There used to be an outfit called The Coronado Fliers who had a DC3 out of MYF to Loreto, Mulege, Cabo and other places...it was operated under Part 23 of the FARs so they had two stews for the 22 seats on board. The Stews were PSA ladies who loved good fun and real Mexican margaritas......that was the best Baja flying that there ever was. .....well almost!

Re the guys who wonder about the safety of Gooney Birds....some have 50K++ hours on them but, if they are maintained, they can pretty much fly forever.

There is a guy and his wife....both Norwegians....who fly a DC3 turboprop conversion between VNY and Guerro Negro for whale watching. It's a beautiful bird....bought it in South Africa a few years ago. We sometimes see them at MMSF where we go for migration y aduana in our Bonanza.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 08:05 AM

that tri-gear is very sweet.
a paving contractor here i know also had a very rare B 18 tri gear he used for fun and business, based at Scottsdale 10 years ago. he finally parted with it for a C 421 Golden Eagle for more speed and less maintenance and fuel costs.
Beech only made a handful out of the factory with a nose wheel. the rest, and damn few, are STC conversions - way too expensive to do today.

i'd sure want the tri gear if just so i didn't have to deal with baja X winds.
but then again i am no tail dragger pilot, only been a pax in one twice, once a cub J-3 and once a Strearman PT 17.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 09:19 AM

One of El Dorado Ranches planes. Used to come every weekend with clients but now have trouble filling it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXNY1gG18W0
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio
One of El Dorado Ranches planes. Used to come every weekend with clients but now have trouble filling it.

I'm no pilot, but arn't both wheels supposed to go up at the same time?
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
For Fishbuck et al:
Clay Lacy has one.....a complete restoration of a UAL (United Air Lines) Mainliner. It is perfect. When he comes to San Diego with it he parks it behind my hangar at the San Diego Aerospace Museum Restoration Hangar which is just out the back door of my hangar. Next time he does that I'm gonna steal it.

Here he is landing at Santa Monica.

[Edited on 2-5-2010 by Stickers]

med.jpg - 20kB
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 04:28 PM
no, not at all

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Donjulio

I'm no pilot, but arn't both wheels supposed to go up at the same time?

they can go up at different rates independently. looks weird but that's the way it is, same thing on a bunch or war birds, they'll fold up separately.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
that tri-gear is very sweet.
a paving contractor here i know also had a very rare B 18 tri gear he used for fun and business, based at Scottsdale 10 years ago. he finally parted with it for a C 421 Golden Eagle for more speed and less maintenance and fuel costs.
Beech only made a handful out of the factory with a nose wheel. the rest, and damn few, are STC conversions - way too expensive to do today.

i'd sure want the tri gear if just so i didn't have to deal with baja X winds.
but then again i am no tail dragger pilot, only been a pax in one twice, once a cub J-3 and once a Strearman PT 17.

The only problem with the tri gear B18 is that the tail wheel is on the wrong end of the plane. I think it ruins the classic lines of the plane.

No need to fear taildraggers, they aren't that hard to drive, just need to learn it like everything else in aviation....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 09:58 AM

i tend to agree on the visual dt.
i suppose as an old dog now i could be taught a new trick. flying behind the C of G. Tail draggers....you don't stop flying them until the engine shuts down!

my 2nd fav classic plane is the c 195 radial with the castoring mains.

after all - Senterfitt began his charting odessy in a 195!!

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 10:56 AM

Putting a nosewheel on a D-18 Beech should have been a capitol offense!
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 11:15 AM

Sorry 'bout that.....that shoulda been a CAPITAL offense. Capitol offenses are reserved for politcoholes.....and we got some who deserve such.

But....putting a nose wheel on D-18 Beech is like putting a brassier on Venus De Milo. Same thing as putting a nose wheel on a Piper Pacer to turn it into that dawg the Tri Pacer.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 11:59 AM

ha!! yur Right Bucko - the fabled milkstool!!
what a dumb looking aeroplane!! remember the BBP video that was out years ago produced by the guy who did the video work for John and Martha King? he had one too, maybe still does.
he also was in that cherokee that ditched off BOLA a few years ago i think, flight of 2 - he was in one of em.

so - if i ever hit it big and can get an "18" it's going to mean i have to, learn how to fly it properly!!
just got Amelia today at the store.
gonna watch it before the game today. Love the Lockheeds too.

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 12:40 PM

Stickers. Any chance you might have a 40's era Ercoupe 415C over in the corner of your hanger there in San Diego?????? I can't seem to find the right one yet!!!!!\Yikes. I did hijack this thread didn't I?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.