BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Photo Quiz...plus trip report if answered correctly.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:31 AM
Photo Quiz...plus trip report if answered correctly.

WHAT IS THIS ROOM USED FOR?

Nope, not New York..or LA.

TJ? Naw...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:34 AM

Ice Fishing!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:02 AM

Sure looks like a 7 or 8-holer outhouse....with minimal privacy....in a cold place up north!:rolleyes:
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:04 AM

ice fishing

...oops, thought I was first! Didn't see David K's response!

edited to correct my error!

[Edited on 2-4-2010 by elizabeth]
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
[IMG]
WHAT IS THIS ROOM USED FOR?

Nope, not New York..or LA.

TJ? Naw...

Oh yaa, been der done dat. Many hours ice fishing on the river in front of our place up north as a kid. Now my mantra is that I won't live anywhere that palm trees won't grow. My favorite was dark house spear fishing, could be a lot of adrenaline flow when a big Northern is just sticking his nose into view but not getting into range. Never brought home many fish but it was exciting anyhow. I have friends back there who are purists, take nothing to the lake but an ice auger, tackle, and a bucket to turn upside down to sit on while waiting for the elusive Walleye. Oh, and maybe a flask of Snowshoe Grog--2/3 Brandy, 1/3 schnapps.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:18 AM

I've never seen an Ice Fishing shed with plumbing or a basement.
No idea what the hinged table top would be.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:23 AM

Love those custom built chairs...

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Multi-functional....fish cleaning table/fine dining!:lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz

:lol::lol: Of course. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 2-4-2010 by DENNIS]
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I don't see the table cloth, fine china or candles. And where is the wine list???

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 12:13 PM

The caterer brings it, of course!

Uhhhhh....Pomp, I think it's about time for the trip report!:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 12:18 PM

Roger, my second guess was a Russian army bathroom in Siberia... :lol::cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 12:28 PM

thx to Kurt i have a new beverage to try when duck hunting!
here's one...used to have those ski poles that were hollow, Schnodka.
a mix of peppermint schnapps and vodka. stays chilled all day.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
thx to Kurt i have a new beverage to try when duck hunting!
here's one...used to have those ski poles that were hollow, Schnodka.
a mix of peppermint schnapps and vodka. stays chilled all day.

Use with caution, Mike. While I haven't imbibed in many years I do remember how easily Snowshoe went down when out in the cold. It was a staple back in the 70's while snowmobiling or going to Vikings games in the old outdoor Met Stadium.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 08:11 AM

will do Kurt.
you guys from the great white North amaze me!
my buddy and sometime biz partner lives 30 min N. of Milwaukee.
our atty has season Packers tickets and were at that night game in 2007 when the giants beat them in the playoffs for the NFC and the wind chill was like 50 below!!!

indoor stadiums are making wimps out of todays' spoiled players compared to the old guard who played cold outdoor smash mouth football when i was a kid!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 03:40 PM

Pompano?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:37 AM

Correcto! This is that phenomennon known as ICE FISHING.

'HARD TIMES' UP NORTH ;D

Pompano is a contented man. He's watching THE OUTDOORS CHANNEL on his TV, sorting through some antique coins and keeping an eye on two fishing lines that extend down holes he cut through 28 inches of ice and into the lake beneath his fishing shack.

It's 8 degrees outside, but the homemade ice house is so warm he's not wearing a coat. He was here for three hours this morning and didn't catch a thing, so he came back at 2 p.m. and will stay until maybe 7. If he gets hungry, he'll make popcorn or bake cookies — which often results in visits from his neighbors in the middle of Lake of the Woods. If he wants a nap, he'll stretch out on his comfy bunk. If he gets bored, he'll read, or he'll slide a tiny camera into the water and watch the fish on a video monitor.

A lot of people don't understand how you can sit out here hour after hour, but I love it. You meet people and you can actually catch a fish once in a while.

Never done it? For many of the USA's 1.7 million enthusiasts, ice fishing is a reason to look forward to the winter. The sport is popular in Alaska, New England, Canada, Scandinavia and Russia, but it's a fundamental part of the culture in the upper Midwest.

In the 1993 movie Grumpy Old Men, set in Minnesota, characters played by Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau have an argument while ice fishing that ends with one of them using his car to shove an ice house through thin ice.

Sitting outside in the freezing cold, building a little nest for yourself … is the ultimate expression of the strange Midwestern ethic. If you get the chance, see "Guys on Ice" by Jay Kaplan, a play set in a Wisconsin ice house that's been performed nationwide.

The sport's longtime image as a haven for men who want to escape their families and consume alcohol is changing, I see a lot more young people out on the ice, interest has really grown in the past 10 years.

An ice fishing derby in Forest Lake, Minn., drew 7,500 people.

The sport can be done cheaply or in over-the-top luxury. Some people poke a hole in the ice and plop down on an upended bucket to fish. Small, tent-like portable ice houses can cost as little as $150, but lavish wood-paneled shelters can cost $10,000 ..or more if you go nutzo..sigh.

When I was not even a teenager, I made my first shelter from plywood and canvas. I skipped a lot of grade school, but always had my school books along for those long periods between bites.

Popular on every good fishing lake Up North are both portable shelters — which get packed up after each use — and "permanent" structures that stay all season. Such houses must have reflectors to make them visible to snowmobilers and others as well as labels with owners' names and addresses in case they're in danger of sinking.

That's not the only danger on the ice. Not too long ago, two men died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their ice house on Minnesota's Lake of the Woods.

There is an unspoken etiquette code: It's not OK to set your ice house right next to someone else's, and leaving trash or fish behind is unacceptable.

Fishing buddies, who are wearing four layers of clothing and three pairs of socks, will typically arrive around 11 a.m. and will stay until at least 6 p.m. They talk about everything and anything. Basically, it's something to do in the winter.

Asked if their wives think they're crazy to be here when they could be somewhere warmer, they reply in unison, grinning: "Yes!"

Walleyes, pike, crappies, perch, panfish and even lake trout top the list of most ice-anglers' favorites. Here's some tips on when...and where..to catch them.

Lake of the Woods, NW corner on Minnesota is a favorite spot for me. Not just because I have a lake home there, but because it is one of the most scenic places on this continent and the fishing is simply fantastic. Winter ice fishing for walleye like the one above is tops here. Until you have eaten a nice golden walleye filet you have not eaten the best tasting fish in the world.

See that photo of a pile of perch? Devils Lake, North Dakota is tops for perch in winter. Those delicious 1-pounders make my mouth water right now. (Walleye and coldwater perch are as close to gastronomic heaven as it gets.)

Tobin Lake, located just northeast of Nipawin, Saskatewan is an extremely popular lake that draws anglers from across the continent year after year in search of trophy northern pike and walleye. The waters here have earned a reputation for producing some of the biggest walleye in the world and this reputation is well-deserved. The Saskatchewan record for the largest walleye has been broken time after time at Tobin Lake. In fact, the provincial record has been broken there five times in a row!

The lake and provincial record for walleye currently stands at 18.30 pounds and was caught ice fishing on January 4, 2005, by Father Mariusz Zajac of Carrot River, Saskatchewan (shown in picture). This walleye has also entered the record books as the World Record Walleye caught ice fishing. The fish was caught on a “diamond spinner” about 1.6 kilometres (1 mile) from the resort village of Tobin Lake where I keep a fifth wheel and boat. This walleye weighed 18.30 pounds, had a girth of 22.5 inches and measured 36.5 inches in length.

Father Mariusz sites the prayer of Luke 1:46-55 as a special fish prayer. Atta boy, Father. I'm memorizing it now. ;)

Well..it ain't Baja, but it's dang close..and a helluva lot of fun!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:41 AM

Impressive!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 03:27 PM

I hear a lot of beef jerky and salami are consumed on such outings.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I hear a lot of beef jerky and salami are consumed on such outings.

Igor, I wouldn't know...I'm a spinach salad man, myself, with cucumber sandwiches (no crust, thank you very much). Set out with an unassuming and smooth chablis cooled to 39 degrees F.

Pass me the Grey Poupon, por favor?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.