Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: manta ray recipe?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:54 PM

Yeah, I believe it is the mobula that are being slaughtered and sold as manta ray. It is thrilling to see them breach out on the water; it is shocking to see their cartilagenous bodies stripped of all flesh and discarded onto the sea floor while scuba diving and snorkeling.

In my opinion this is one more sea creature we should protect.

Elinvestdude, thanks for the animation "The Mobulator"
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 04:23 AM
MULEGENA THANKS FOR THE IDEA

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 06:49 AM
Bay Rays

An early memory brings back stacks of dried bat wings, waiting to be made into machaca. Then came the cookie cutter scallops. (Of course the real rock scallops were already long gone by this time...around mid-70's)

One of our first catches inside Conception Bay was the ray you see my old amigo, Randy, holding on the gaff. That was about a 60-lb ray that took a shrimp off the bottom near Robinson Crusoe beach. It suprised us when it decided to pull us around a bit before we could get it into the boat. THAT'S when all hell broke loose! We learned on the run that day...

A new-found Baja friend, Manuel Diaz, is filleting it and another for our group dinner that night on Coyote Beach. He marinated with some great liquid. It was delicious..we called it 'Poor Man's Scallops' and the two rays fed all 25 of us.

Top right corner is an old dear friend who passed last June..nomad aquaholic..and Co-pilot ('Sarah Palin' double).
We sure had some times back then..and hey, we're still having 'em today!

All the fish you can imagine was caught INSIDE the Bay back then. Marlin, sailfish, wahoo, tuna, yellowtail, snapper, roosterfish, pargo, giant grouper, triggerfish, shark, and on and on and on...all gone now. Am I a little peeed? Oh, yeah!

I can remember seeing hundreds of rays jumping and flipping at one time...so often it became commonplace to me. Truly a wonderful natural sight to behold on a flat day in the bay.

Of course, that was a long, long time ago. I haven't seen those kinds of numbers in the bay or anywhere else since the 70's.

The panga guys pretty much took MOST of them a long time ago...which adds to the many reasons why we don't see sharks in the bay nowadays. (see pic) These sights were commonplace all along the farside shore of Conception Bay back then. My photo only shows one tiny spot ...there were a dozen camps like this..and thousands of ray skeletons littered the beaches for miles. Damn! Such a waste...damn and double damn. Then they took all the scallops..then the urchins...then the lobster...then the octopus...then even the conch and sea cukes..next even the damn beach sand will start to disappear like the once beautiful shell/rock areas near Punta Chivato..shame, shame.

Ach..maybe time to move further south to ...? Ah, but THIS time I'm not telling. Shhhh..
;)

Now that I have 'vented' a bit..I feel much, much better. Come on, Co-pilot, let's go outside the Bay and catch some dinner...

[Edited on 2-5-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Don't understand Dave. The difference between what and what?

Between cut out manta and real sea scallops. How could one not tell the difference?

I get it. If you've had both rock scallops and the cookie cutter scallop cut from the wings of rays and sharks (like angel sharks) you can tell the difference. But there is a definite similarity. The problem is that most people have never had the real thing - rock scallops are pretty much gone now, both north and south of the border. So most people have only tasted cookie cutters. In the USA anything sold as "sea scallop" is a cookie cutter, a fake scallop. The only real rock scallops I see in California waters now are in protected areas. They are gone in the areas where hunting is permitted.

carpe diem!
dosbcs

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 08:39 AM

These guys are as common as halibuts. The small rays are sold at most fish markets all over Baja and can commonly be seen sold at the Ensenada fish market. They are very meaty and delicious when fixed Veracruz style. It can also be cut up into fish taco sized strips and served just as one would serve a regular fish taco.
In the US it is also readily available and is commonly known as "SKATE", and restaurants get good bucks for it.
For many recipes, google skate recipes.

Thanks for the recipe search ideas. This is a small beach ray so I don't feel as guilty.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 05:03 PM

I've had both in the same meal - real scallops I collected, and bat ray scallops bought in Guerro Negro - real scallops soft and tender, fake ones, odd shapes and tough like abalone! no comparison
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.