Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Restaurante Chiki Jai
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 12:01 PM
Restaurante Chiki Jai

We visited one of my favorite restaurants in Tijuana this Saturday. Please give it a try. It is right across the street from Mexicoach which picks you up at a USA parking lot and takes you downtown for $3 ea way. The parking lot is at the last exit before you cross the border.

It has been a favorite hangout of visiting Jai Alai players for years, (back when the Jai Alai Palace was open). Before you even order, fresh bread and blue cheese are placed on your table. You can order Tapas, small apetizers both hot and cold, or entrees. The entrees cover fish, seafood and meats. Some of my favorite Tapas are the Serrano Ham, Tuna Croqettes, and Tortilla Espanola. For the entrees I like the Shrimp in Garlic, Trout, Calamari Steaks with Garlic, and Steak Milanesa. Beer, Wine and Hard Liquor are served.

Revolución 1388
Centro Zona Norte, 22000 Baja California, Mexico
01 664 685 4955

[Edited on 4-6-2010 by tripledigitken]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 12:36 PM

Looks like a great place. Thanks for the tip, Ken.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 12:50 PM

I'm going to give that one a try.. it's looking really good... never have had a Calamari steak.. and that sounds pretty darn good ... thanks :):)

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 02:31 PM

Coming from the Baja side of the world, any idea of easiest access route?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 02:41 PM

Gull,

Find your way to Ave. Revolution and drive north/south until you get to the old Jai Alai Palace and park. It is on the North East corner of 7th and Ave. Rev. just north of the palace.

Ken
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 03:00 PM

Thanks just added in the directions.. :):)

One other thing.. really like the rain day shot... also the inside shot.. thanks really adds to .... :):)

[Edited on 2-8-2010 by wessongroup]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 05:50 PM
I just added the address and phone number

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 06:07 PM

got it all, thanks

tjBill
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 09:57 PM

My favorite restaurant downtown.

The paella is 100 pesos.
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 10:11 PM

maybe just maybe ...................
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 10:15 PM

ah I remember .... next to the bambi club
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 10:16 PM

Great restaurant, the owners where my neighboors, kudos to them for staying open in these tough economic times.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by torch

How about a review of the bambi club, torch?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 09:19 AM

that was a long long time ago 25 yrs to be exact. wow just a pup back then. Those were some really fun times back then in TJ Nowdays I'd way rather go to the resturant than the strip club times have changed

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by torch]
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by torch

And the Unicorn, never went down those stairs of course, only hearsay about what went on there!
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2010 at 06:31 PM
Chiki Jai

Los margariteros posing in Chiki Jai in 198?. The group started in 1963 as the Shaggy Dog Club, where some guys from South San Diego went down to TJ one night a week for a .$50 haircut, some margies at Chiki Jai, and some street-corner tacos. The group grew and morphed over the years until by the time this pic was taken there is only one original margaritero in it. There are still some who go, but not as many or as regularly as back then. Sitting around trying to arrive at an estimate of how many there have been has been an ongoing pastime. Numbers range widely. This pic is incomplete, to say the least. Abigail, the wife of Juan, the Jai Alai player who opened Chiki Jai, is the woman at the very back. Chiki Jai has changed hands a couple of times. The bolios and cheese haven't changed, though.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2010 at 07:07 PM

Our favorite restaurant in Tijuana! We have been going there since the early '50's. Can't wait to go back.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 06:04 PM
Restaurante Chiki Jai in Tijuana

Here is a response to a post I made on Chowhound.

"Hi Jan. Thank you for this rec. We were in TJ yesterday (Easter) and four of us ate at Chiki Jai (yes, we were there when the earthquake hit!). Service was phenomenal and the food even better. They brought us a basket of bread with the slice of blue cheese. And a small bowl with fantastic green salsa (I want this recipe if anyone knows it!!). My mom was in heaven since she had the cheese all to herself!! We ordered a pitcher of Sangria for the table. This was pretty good, but I have had better (altho definitely good and drinkable). Of course, I did not pay attention to the names of all the items ordered, but I can describe them: mom ordered the paella which was very good - crab, meat, mussels, etc, she deemed it fantastic. Friend #1 ordered the breaded fish which had a tasty and kind of coarse (coarse cornmeal?) breading. Really good. Friend #2 had the chicken breasts in some kind of sauce - maybe garlic or white wine? (he asked for lemon and proceeded to squirt that on). It was very good as well. I ordered the Fish V_____ it was fish (seemed to be lightly breaded with flour) in a tomato/green olive sauce. A little sweet, but became perfect when I added some of the salsa. We all (except the paella orderer) got a delicious chickpea soup and a side of delicious yellow (saffron?) rice with our meals. It was SO GOOD!! Came to $53 US before $10 tip. Definitely a great deal and really easy to find!! Go Go GO!!!!" ;-)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Here is a response to a post I made on Chowhound.

"Hi Jan. Thank you for this rec. We were in TJ yesterday (Easter) and four of us ate at Chiki Jai (yes, we were there when the earthquake hit!)....

Definitely a great deal and really easy to find!! Go Go GO!!!!" ;-)

does the restaurant have bullet-proof glass?
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 07:28 AM

No, so YOU need to stay away from it.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.