BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: CAUTION! MANY STING RAYS IN THE BAY THIS YEAR.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 02:03 PM

I'm told that sharks eat skates and rays. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to kill off so many sharks.

Anything else eat skates and rays (besides people)?

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i understand there are tazers available specifically for stingray stings...it does the same thing as hot water; it coagulates the toxins.

I have heard the same thing, but about snake venom.
Unfortunately, a review of the anecdotal and scientific evidence done in 2001 concluded that "the use of stun guns . . . is not supported by the literature." Too bad, because I liked the idea.

I have the article from the Wilderness and Environmental Medicine journal, if anyone is interested.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-28-2010 at 02:44 PM

Bajabruno,:bounce:
sd2hi
Junior Nomad

Mood: ready for action!

[*] posted on 9-5-2010 at 09:23 PM

If you want to heat up the area FAST (neutralize the venom as soon as possible and stop the histamine reaction before it has a chance to start) and have a power source around use a blow drier (as hot as you can stand it), also works good for scorpion, mosquito bites and other biting, stinging insects.

[Edited on 9-6-2010 by sd2hi]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 04:40 AM

sd2hi, Thanks for the information.
seapeople

Mood: manana

[*] posted on 11-16-2010 at 03:29 PM

I took a slash hit a year ago while wading from our boat. We were on a remote island and tried ice first. It was tolerable with the ice, but became unbearable after removing it. Found the suggestion for "as hot as you can stand it, hot water" Immersed my foot in near boiling water and felt much better. As the water cooled, the pain returned. I spent over an hour with my foot in HOT water before I could tolerate it out of the water. Hot HOT water definately works!
mannings
Junior Nomad

Mood: chill

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 04:52 PM

When I was 16 years old my dad told me the huge rays in the gulf were mantas and couldnt sting. So I was catching one after another and holding for pics. Then I was catching one and BAM! PUNCTURE to the inner thigh.

My dad poured Corona on it and called it good. I can laugh about it... now.

Thanks for the heads up. Hoping two months on the beach with 5 kids doesn't yield poor results.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 05:01 PM

April (Spring Break) was the mating time for rays in L.A. Bay, and perhaps all over... So, they were in huge numbers in shallow water then... south sandy end of the bay.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 05:34 PM

And, I guess, sometimes they fly !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyzPdGzuNWw

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 05:39 PM

Pompano? I thought you were in the NW trout fishing?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Pompano? I thought you were in the NW trout fishing?

Check the date of Roger's post... it was 4 years ago!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-25-2014 at 10:53 PM

In San Lucas Cove they're thick as sand crabs. I've been involved 1st-aiding a few stings, and have taken the pt.s to the local Army base where El Doctor was also El Comendante of the base at the time, so have good medical info.

WHAT TO DO: Hot water, as hot as can be tolerated (without skin damage). This alleviates the toxins. Give 1 - 2 Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or chlortrimeton orally as an antihistamine, and any pain meds that may be handy (Tylenol, Ibuprophen, etc) although a good hot soak will almost instantly alleviate the intense pain. IMPORTANT: if it's a deep wound, those li'l buggers have lots of nasty chit they inject, so at least get to a pharmacia and get some general antibiotics to take orally; I won't advise any, because we're all different, so therefore I strongly recommend seeing a local doctor; some of the stings I've seen have been numbed up, opened up with an incision and debrided... as previous posts said, nasty infections can last years.

AVOIDANCE: Use 'ray-sticks' as seen above, the rake is great, also a simple 4' stick of 1/2" PVC works great, poke as you walk. Or, do the Ray-Shuffle. No, this ain't how Mr. Charles got to his piano.... little steps and stir the dirt in front of you.

DO NOT: do the vinegar / urine / chemical pour on the wound. Vinegar and especially ammonia do wonders for jellyfish stings, and if not available, you find out who your REAL friends are with the urine rinse. Just NOT open wounds.

One sting we saw this spring was even on a dawg's paw... poor thang. Big bad Rottie, could tell he was in agony, but as soon as that foot went into the hot water, he was calm as a nursing puppy. Later on, he was seen stalking the area of the original attack and when asked what he was up to, he replied.... "I'm-a lookin' fer that ray that got my PAW....."
....sowwy.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 06:38 AM

I have always used hot water on 7 of the slash type stings that have been my fate while surfing. The one that no hot water was available made for a long day getting back to the border. My surf buddies said I should stop whining about it, which didn't really help much.

Most of my stings have been at the La Jolla Shores, a perfect spot for sting rays and older surfers. I am wary of emergency room doctors, many of whom are not familiar with sting ray wounds. Have never had any infection with the hot water technique.

I hope to avoid getting hit again, but it happens even when doing the shuffle sometimes. It is just part of the deal and at least if I got hit two more times it would be a nice even ten count for my life by the sea.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 01:45 PM

Forgot to mention; being a former EMT I carry a jump-kit in my rig 24/7, and always have a tube of Triple-A ointment on hand (Bacitracin, Mycitracin, Neomycin mix). If you're a ways from a pharmacia or clinic, I recommend it AFTER a good hot soak and a peroxide washing with gauze. Better safe than sorry.

The Army Doc's wife was there when we brought in my friend, she'd been stung, refused lancing/debridement, ended up infected and lasted for a year. Now 3 years later she still has a 'lump' and infrequent pain on the site. They're nasty little buggers, but fun to watch fly. Y'all watch yer step, and use a ray-stick.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 08:55 PM

Ya , got stung last year at Campo Renee way down the beach and it wasn't fun . No hot water around so after an hour went to clinic . That was the best !

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.