Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Planning a burro trip
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 12:23 PM
Planning a burro trip

Planning on walking down Baja with a Burro and my dogs. Looking for a hiking partner. Leaving Oct 1st. Anybody interested let me know U2U. Will be gone at least 6 months. AND yes Graham Macintosh is a friend of mine, we hike together and I have read all of his books. You will need a burro and all of your own gear. Not taking the hwy route going thru the mountains and along the coast. Its going to be a leisurly little walk down Baja.

ANY TAKERS?????
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 12:26 PM

Just hope you make it past the first roadside taco stand with that burro. Do they taste like horse?

:D

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 04:12 PM

Sounds like a great trip, love to join in but don't think six months is something I can pull off this year......
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 05:06 PM

See posts by 'Baja Bucko' (another friend of Graham) here... She has ridden many parts of the Camino Real by burro, and the cargo trail to Gonzaga Bay from near Mision Santa Maria.

If you are using any of EL CAMINO REAL for your ride, I have located it on the Baja topos, using Google Earth satellite images where you can see the Jesuit trail... from Santa Maria south to Loreto... they are here on Baja Nomad and on this page are the direct links to each Camino Real section I have mapped: http://vivabaja.com/missions2/page13.html

Let me know if I can be of assistance any further... and Graham is an amigo of mine, as well... great guy!

Here's a sample... just south of San Ignacio:
Image # I-2:

On the topo map, note the second arrow out from San Ignacio, labled 'I-2':

Harry Crosby's 1977 map of that section:

Howard Gulick's 1954 map of that section:

[Edited on 2-22-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MikeYounghusband
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 07:38 PM

Wow David this great stuff thanks.

Mike Younghusband
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 09:07 PM
Burros are not for riding!

David-nobody rides burros-they are strictly for carrying stuff. MULES are the 4WD of choice on the peninsula when it comes to non-wheel travel.

Even though this is a green year hope this guy is prepared to carry lots of water for the burro and himself. There are really loooong stretches where there is no one and its the cowboys who know what tinajas have or don't have water at the time. BB

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2010 at 04:17 AM

Your right BB they are for carrying only. I have a very well trained and strong young Burro I bought in Tacate. I have taken a year to prepare for this trip and water is a huge concern. Graham and I are spending alot of time together and he is helping me plan this trip. I have taken time to hide water and other esscentials along the way, and I am leaving tommorrow to stash more. Whiskey is a big concern, its hard to get in Mexico.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2010 at 08:02 AM

Yes Teddi, you are correct as I mis-spoke... I got mules and burros mixed up when I was talking about you. Glad you are reading Nomad and saw this thread.

Like Graham, Mike is walking with a burro to carry supplies. You ride mules, like Eve Ewing did many, many years ago... correct?

Graham didn't use a lot of the Camino Real for his 1997 walk... and I wasn't sure if Mike was or not... So, I just wanted him to know that most of the Jesuit section can be seen from space, so with GPS and Google Earth, can be found on the ground... should he want to use it.

I really would like to see a new book on the Camino Real today... Harry Crosby's is 36 years old... and things can change in that time!

Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2010 at 08:17 AM

That's pretty cool. How much are burro going for these days?
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 10:17 AM

Working real hard on that one. Going to develope a web site and keep in touch. Will keep all in the imfo. Down in Loreto right now, Buried food and treats on the way down. Along with a little whiskey.

MIke
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 10:33 AM

This is great Mike... I (and many other Nomads) will be looking forward to your reports. Do you plan on using the Camino Real as much as possible?

When Graham did his burro trip in 1997, there wasn't the tehnology to find it using the satellite images... So, he often walked along Hwy. 1... Misión's health/ hoof condition was another issue for avoiding some of the tough sierra trail.

Best wishes!
David

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 03:54 PM

I would make damn sure you don't have any paradigms of how you think your burro(s) is/are going to behave when the "hoof meets the trail" so to speak. We owned a burro for 25 years B4 I had to put her down and they can be a real challange. If it were me I would consult with local ranchers and get information from them on what you are planning to do and how the burro would fare on the trip. If I remember correctly, a number of the burros or mules on Harry Crosby's trek lost their footing and plunged down into gorges loaded up with gear and died. Also if I remember correctly Macintosh was sending out daily diaries of his walk on parts of the mission trail and in several entries had trouble with the burro getting stuck in the growth along the trail because the packs made the burro too wide resulting in Macintosh attempting to "hack" or "cut" his way through the brush to free the burro. Alot of those trails are probably grown over with brush and have not been maintained for anyware from 20 to 200 years.

It all sounds romantic and all but the reality will be tough arroyo crossings on cold windy days, trying to stay warm, avoiding snakes, and keeping the burro in check.

Remember...burros are very smart opportunistic animals...and there are alot of wild burros on the peninsula. I can see your burro getting free one night and going off with the wild burros never to be seen again...just my 2 centavos.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 04:28 PM

Wow, good advice!

In 1997, Graham had wanted to go from Santa Ynez to Mision Santa Maria then down the Camino Real towards Gonzaga to Calamajue, etc.

Poor Misión fell so many times on the Camino Real, that Graham gave up and walked the burro back to Hwy. 1 and followed it to get to San Borja.

The cover photo of that book is on the Santa Maria road, in fact.

Misión fallen on the Camino...

Everything ended up okay!

[Edited on 2-24-2010 by David K]

MikeYounghusband
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2010 at 10:15 AM

Graham and I have talked extensively on this subject and feel gthat a little less burden and newer technology will make a big difference. I am taking six months to hike and train with the burro and hopefully will learn enough and become friendly enough with him that we will have a safe and fun trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2010 at 10:26 AM

Wonderful... you couldn't have a better man to help you prepare than Graham Mackintosh!

Graham at Viva Baja Cactus, 2006 (thinking of the ravens on Angel de la Guarda island):

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2010 at 04:02 PM

It looks like that burro listed to one side and fell over because of an overload of turquoise.:wow:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 11:53 AM

There's a Mexican fellow (can't remember his name) in Hemet, CA who made trip from Hemet to DC twice with his burro.

Bob Durrell
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2010 at 01:08 AM

Tecate to Cabo! You can sure pack a lot of living into a day with a burro. Six months will make for a great story. I know Mike will be amazed by the kindness and hospitality he’ll meet along the way.

Keeping the show on the road, or trail, with a burro and two dogs is going to be fascinating and challenging.

[Edited on 3-2-2010 by Graham]

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2010 at 01:10 AM

Mike and photogenic new amigo.

Reminds me of my first burro - Bonny

[Edited on 3-2-2010 by Graham]

Mike and Burro.jpg - 49kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2010 at 01:12 AM

Learning the ropes with Bonny - 1984!

Bonny crop.jpg - 41kB

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.