BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Look out above!! Or is it below?
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2010 at 08:22 PM
Look out above!! Or is it below?

Just picked up two used SUPs today. One's is an 11' long board style, the other is a 10'6 fishy model. Paddles, fins, board bags, leashes and salt crusties came with them.

I know that some of you folks don't dig on these things but I'm stoked on them. I love the whole surfing aspect of it, but to paddle around the mangroves and do some fishing....paddle around with the Whale Sharks in Bahia in the summer is a huge bonus to me.

Not trying to stir the pot BUT..... I promise I'll keep a wide berth and won't drop in you at that certain secret area called."?????, ??????,????".

Photos are on the way just as soon as Paulina gets home.

DERN

[Edited on 2-23-2010 by DERN]

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2010 at 09:21 AM

My buddy rode the wind waves at Camp Gecko a few years ago. Abraham used to have the pics on his website. Something to keep in mind!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2010 at 09:57 AM

Nice truck!:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2010 at 12:29 PM

Those look perfect Dern!

My Baja SUP is a low budget version - an old 11' Windsurf board. It's a bit challenging to stay on with the rounded top, but fun to toodle around Estero Bay on.

Have Fun!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-23-2010 at 12:45 PM

Nice Dern!

I only SUP when the surf is too small for my shortboards and when I am doing flatwater paddles. Checking out whales on a SUP would be amazing.....have fun!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 02:29 PM

In the past I've thought about paddling baja too. I've never surfed before, so no need to worry about me dropping in on anyone. Dern has offered one of his boards for me to practice on. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it and someday be able to afford one myself. I'm imaging a minty greenish blue one right now.

I'll also need to get racks for the top of my truck so I can chase down those secret surf spots too (just to watch)...

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 03:25 PM

Woo hoo!! :biggrin::dudette::yes:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 08:16 PM

Cool Dern, the more "sweepers" the cleaner the water will be :tumble:

But seriously, I never thought I'd have so much fun on flat water, although I've got slightly different equipment.

Great fun Paulina!

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:55 PM

Those monstrosities should be baned from the surf and Hamilton should be shot. If you can surf get a surfboard if you can't stay home.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Those monstrosities should be baned from the surf and Hamilton should be shot. If you can surf get a surfboard if you can't stay home.

That has to have some special "fun" meaning that only you guys understand. :biggrin:
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 09:18 PM
I'm Skerit

Quote:

That's some big talk from a guy in Ojai.:?: I'll forward this to Laird.

Dern
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 11:19 PM

Quote:

why do you surfers always got sticks up your butts?
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:10 PM

Times have changed. It's not surfers vs. bikers anymore. We all grow up. Those who started as surfers are and always will be "watermen" be it short boarders, long boarders, retro fishers, Jerry Lopez single finners, tow in guys, sup'ers, boogie boarders, kite boarders, wind surfers, etc. If your head is wet in the ocean, you're at home.

There are some who were all out surfers in their day, but due to old age, injuries, what have you, if all they can do is stand up and paddle, so be it. Who gives anyone the right to "own" the ocean so to speak and say that if you can't "surf" stay at home?

I never surfed in my life, but when I stood up on one of Dern's Sup's for the first time and took off across the bay I felt like a whole new adventure was in store for me. I could be in the water in a new way other than looking over the edge of my panga or spitting the salt water out of my snork.

I can't wait for the day that I have my own Sup and can paddle out to spend a few hours with the whale sharks in Bahia, quietly paddling above their monster size huge'ness while looking down from my 11.6 mattress.

Salt water is good for any sportsman's soul.

P<*)))>{

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 09:41 PM

I need to apologize, sorry. I just see these guy's on these cumbersome, non performing paddleboards and wonder if we are going backwards. In Ca paddleboards were used in the 40's and 50's to surf, it didn't work out, so surfboards were introduced. Surfboards have come and gone but they've improved dramatically, and the surf has gotten much more crowded and competitive. Then you put a novice on a crappy board with a paddle that can catch waves, before the other surfers but can't surf for crap. Because of poor board and lack of experience, you rob the surfers that have worked for years to perfect their sport, of waves, not right. Tell Laird, he's only in it for the money. By the way I started surfing in 1961, I've been doing this awhile and have my surfboard on my Jeep everyday. If you didn't have a paddleboard could you still surf?
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
I need to apologize, sorry. I just see these guy's on these cumbersome, non performing paddleboards and wonder if we are going backwards. In Ca paddleboards were used in the 40's and 50's to surf, it didn't work out, so surfboards were introduced. Surfboards have come and gone but they've improved dramatically, and the surf has gotten much more crowded and competitive. Then you put a novice on a crappy board with a paddle that can catch waves, before the other surfers but can't surf for crap. Because of poor board and lack of experience, you rob the surfers that have worked for years to perfect their sport, of waves, not right. Tell Laird, he's only in it for the money. By the way I started surfing in 1961, I've been doing this awhile and have my surfboard on my Jeep everyday. If you didn't have a paddleboard could you still surf?

You have some very valid points. Also for your location, the population of surfers is much greater than our area. (Morro Bay)

I started surfing at the age of 12. (1982) It became my life. If I didn't surf at least twice in a day I was peeed. We had that shortboarder mentality. Hated longboarders, boogieboarders Etc. "Drop in on that old man, you can beat him down the line!!!" That was our thinking at the time.

Now that I'm older (39) what do I own? Longboards, Fishes, Sup's, Kayaks.

I probably will never charge the surf on my Sup. (Don't have to worry about me in the line-up.) Things are just way too big up here. However, flat water paddling inside the Bay is very appealing to me. I enjoy it. Also the whole estuary/mangrove/fishing deal in say...Abreojos, La Bocana, Mag Bay, San Ignacio is a bonus to me for this sport.

On that note, Yea Hamilton is in it for the money. He's earned it though.

Yes, I can still surf even though I have a Sup.

Dern

[Edited on 3-12-2010 by DERN]
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch

... I guess I am an elitist.
It comes down to this, though, whatever blows your skirt up and gets you in the water is the main thing.

I agree with a little of what everyone has said. Even 805's passionate comment about alternative craft in the lineup- I admit, I'm grumbling something similar to myself if a large vessel paddles out when i'm trying to catch a few waves. I'm with soulpatch and am an elitist also most of the time, especially when it comes to surfing real waves.

But as Paulina mentioned, it's a big ol ocean and there's lot's of ways to enjoy it. For me, traditional paddleboarding has opened up a new world. I'm 52 and this will be my 40th year of surfing - always shortboards. I can't go for months at a time without surfing and then jump right out on a 6ft plus day and have as much fun as I could when younger.

Even worse is to go on a long awaited (and $$$) trip somewhere and then be too sore or out of shape from not surfing that you don't enjoy your first week! Paddleboarding has been my saving grace because nothing keeps you in shape for paddling (surfing) than paddling.

A real personal shocker for me was the past couple of times we were in Conception Bay last month, on warm glassy mornings I got almost as excited about taking my paddleboard out around the islands as I would have about watching a new swell arrive. Well Almost.

SUP's seem like a great way to whale and wildlife-watch while getting a little excercise and sound perfect for you guys' location in The Bay. I don't see any SUPs in our future unless we gave up something else to make room in the garage.
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:08 PM
I did it again!?

Just picked up a Laird 11'6x29'x4 3/8 single fin for Paulina. Dirt cheap by the way. She calls it the "Mattress Model". Can't wait to get on the water on Sat.

DERN
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
This uber kook wants to know if he can try it in the bay.........:smug:

Franko, Paco, Soulopatch,

What does Uber mean??
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DERN

What does Uber mean??

I think it's French for butt-ugly. :lol:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
This uber kook wants to know if he can try it in the bay.........:smug:

Yes Franko, you can try my "mattress" in the bay, any day (that I'm not on it).

It's all good.

P<*)))>{

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.