Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Bernie . . .
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 07:33 PM
Baja Bernie . . .

So how are you doing with the Baegert?
That weird coincidence--your copy arriving the day my comments on his language views were posted--was unfortunate, because the language stuff is such a small part of his book. It's one I truly enjoy, because it includes so many things that just don't get mentioned by other missionaries. Hope you liked it, too.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 07:43 PM
Bajalera

Sorry, I didn't look at this site until just now,
Yes, the German guy probably exlained more that any other Jesuit and they explained far more than the Franscians (sp) or the Dominicians. and yet he still left a ton unsaid. I am now reading the 'Pirates on the West Coast of New Spain' and Pablo Martinez's, A History of Lower California in an attempt to form an idea about the Baja Indians who are no more and who, I believe, were maligned by all of the early Priests and Spaniards who invaded Baja.
In my new book I attempt to put a new face on the Indians of Baja.
Having fun and learning a bunch! Stay tuned.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 08:44 PM

Bernie, when you are done with Peter Gerhard's book (Pirates...), I would love to see it! Let me know what I can bring down to your place from my library when we do another book swap! You will have to remind me what you have of mine, and what I have of yours. Hey, maybe a Baja Book of the Month Club needs to get organized!!!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2004 at 11:06 PM

Bernie, you're so right on the Indians getting the short end of the stick. The book I'm writing is concentrating on the good things, which you really have to read carefully to find. If you can read Spanish, Miguel del Barco's book is really informative.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2004 at 08:42 AM
About this booktrading

I don't have many and I'm sure you guys have all the ones I have. Howz about some mango dulce and empanadas when I come back in exchange for borrowing books for a couple days?
I would love to see the books being mentioned here and appreciate books for what they are worth. ( I won't put dog ears on the pages)! :lol:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2004 at 11:23 PM

JR, when you get down this way again you can borrow books from me. But if you lose a classic I will arrange to have you killed. Slowly.

Don't take this personally.

Lee

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 03:50 AM
Classic

What do you consider to be a classic?
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 03:57 AM
Baegert

He was a creature of his time infused with a very strong dose of cultural chauvinism and religious intolerance.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 08:10 AM
Thanks Lera

If I were to lose, or even dog ear a page, I will supply the tools for my torture and death, which I would most certainly deserve!
PS, I think those mangos are ready if you want some. Don't know if you received my message regarding such.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 09:30 PM

Classic to me, I guess, is anything it now would cost a tidy sum to replace: Engelhardt (sp?)vol. on B.C.; Homer's Central Desert; Shreve & Wiggens 2 vols.; Goldman; Nelson; Barrett's biblio

In Spanish: Ulises Irrigoyen'a road survey; Clavijero; Barco; Venegas 3 vols; Maximino Martinez's Plantas Mexicanas and Resena de B.C.; Pablo Martinez del Rio's Origines Americanos

Other stuff I'd have to go look at the bookcases to remember and it's too dang hot to move unnecessarily -

JR, I didn't get a mango message--my U2U isn't working. Thanks, but Steve bought a house that has two trees, so he's passing them out, too. And next month we get to move!

Lee
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2004 at 10:05 PM
Eating mangoes in paradise???

... Sounds like a Jimmy Buffet tune!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-25-2004 at 03:37 PM
David K et al

I am going to have to be more careful in checking this site.

David if you don't remember what book I gave you and what books you loaned me then I guess I didn't give you anything and received NOTHING in return.---Just kidding. I'll call you next week to get together as I have a CD of pictures of the book signing at Keri's this last May.--And, okay your two books.

AA, I sorta agree with you about Baegert but there is not a whole lot left unless the Inquistian(sp) has hidden some gems.

Lee, I would really be interested in any help you can give this poor soul.
If you have read my books, and I believe you have, you know that I write from the heart about the people of Baja.And I would love to allow the people who love Baja to see them as people rather than animals who helped build the missions.
I understand your comment about the classic's because I have been buying them and they certainly not cheap. Not worth killing, but at least staking out over an ant hill with honey smeared over--well guess where.

JR, I have a few books you might be interested in--with the above in mind.

The Pirates book is proving to be very interesting and it does have 'stuff' in it about Baja and Sonora. And Cedros Island. I am coming to believe that this island has a lot to say about the real history of Baja.

Tons of caring to your all!

[Edited on 7-25-2004 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 08:43 PM

Bernie, I think you're doing just fine. I've enjoyed your books.

Lee

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.