Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another Fish Story - John Day Style
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 07:36 PM
Another Fish Story - John Day Style

This was sent to me for posting courtesy of Nomad LANCAIRDRIVER

Here's a fish story for you......Large mouth bass will eat anything!

"Greetings to everyone from Len's Guide Service.

In 20 years of fishing the Middle/Upper John Day River, I can honestly say that I have never
encountered a venomous snake (pit viper) within the riverbed. However, as I tell my clients,
go outside the riverbed and that can be a very different story.

Obviously, just because I have never come across a venomous snake in the river, does not
in any way mean they are not there. In fact, I always remain vigilant and on the lookout
knowing that I'm simply overdue for my first encounter.

The way I look at it, Oregon , venomous snakes and the outdoors will always go hand in hand.

So, I wasn't too surprised when I observed a juvenile rattlesnake headed across the river while
I was in my kayak flipping a jig for bass."

I continue fishing. However, I can't help to notice the rattler has changed it's course and is
headed straight for my kayak.

At this point, I've pretty much quit fishing and have my attention focused on the intentions of
this potentially pesky pit viper.

While tracking the ratter's movement, I couldn't help but think, from a fish's point of view,
how enticing the serpentine motion of this snake looked while in the water.

Suddenly, I am jolted back to reality by the fact the rattler is now along side my kayak and is
lifting it's head out of the water in an apparent attempt to come aboard.

No way I'm having this ill intentioned reptilian hitchhiker nosing around the kayak. So, with a
couple whacks of the paddle, it's now docile as can be.

Now my mind begins to wonder...Hmmmm.

This rattler looks like mighty good big bass bait!!!

I put him in one of the foot wells on the kayak and paddle over to a series of submerged river
lay downs so I can begin to put my plan into action.

Here is my "Superstar" getting warmed up in the bullpen.

Put me in, Coach!!!

I now cautiously rig the snake by hooking it through the bottom of the jaw and through
the top of the head onto a weedless black 3/4 oz. jig.

On my sixth cast into the snag infested lay down my jig n snake combo gets destroyed on
the fall as indicated by a telltale "thump" that reverberates all the way down my rod blank.
I set the hook hard and immediately feel stiff resistance on the other end from what I know
is a solid fish.

What happens next is something I'll likely never forget as I watch my bass come
cartwheeling out of the water with the rattler hanging out of it's mouth!

The LMB gave a really good account of itself and I eventually get her alongside the kayak.
I cautiously lip the opposite side of the cavernous mouth where the fish is hooked.

I now take a moment to pose with my oversize snake eating river bass before returning her
back into the river depths.

I admit, my curiosity might have gotten the best of me on this one. However, I just
couldn't help it.

In the end...

It was just another Kayak Fishing Adventure on the John Day River, in Eastern Oregon.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 08:33 PM

Thanks for posting Roger. This should give some of the Nomads new ideas for bait with the ample supply of rattlers in Baja. Like casting for Snook on the Mulege Rio with rattler or trolling for Dorado. Maybe some possibilities here.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 10:23 PM

wow, amigo....nice largemouth....i really didn't know there were so many largies in john day....had caught hundreds of smallies there in the past......my brother was a fly fishing guide on the the deschutes for many years and we had dozens and dozens of those ol rattlers invade our camp over time...just never lip hooked em and threw em out...very cool pics!...thanks

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 11:20 PM

Great series!!! I have caught some great steelhead on that river! There are smallies dying of old age there.

Iflyfish
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:14 AM

Nice pig on a novel top water bait!! Sorta like striper fishing with eels.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:20 AM

To cool... and what lunkers you put up... outstanding...

torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:24 AM

no way would I put a rattler in my kayak. I thought Ive killed a snake before only to find out I was wrong. good story though
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:32 AM

Pompano, Thanks for sharing. Lived in John Day for 4 years. Neat country. Plenty of snakes down on the South Fork.:D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.