Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Quintin Hotel
Hansen

thumbup.gif posted on 3-8-2010 at 12:49 PM
San Quintin Hotel

I just got back from a three week trip to Loreto and have some information about the Mision Santa Maria Hotel( formerly the Desert Inn-La Pinta-El Presidente). It is located south of San Quintin on the ocean. You turn right (west) at the intersection where the Los Pinos packing plant and new Pemex station is located. This is also the road that leads to the Cielito Lindo Motel. The rooms are very nice and all have a drop dead view of the beach and ocean. I have stayed here many times over the years and much prefer it to staying in either San Quintin or El Rosario because of the beauty and quiet. Seeing dolphins playing in the surf is not unusual. The food in the restaurant is good, especially if they have stone crabs on the menu. The rooms used to cost around $80 but the price has been lowered to about $45 and they accept pets. Enjoy!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 01:18 PM

Cool
We stayed there years ago and loved the location. Hated the hotel.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 01:20 PM

With the new price, it is worth another look---and of course, the dog friendly thing is a good thing for us.

I wish someone would do the same thing for the one in Catavina--fix it up a little and lower that awful price.

Thanks for the info

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 01:31 PM

Hansen doesn't really mention if the rooms had been redone, or if it's more like La Pinta but cheaper. But that price does make it attractive.

Diane- When did you last stay at the Catavina facility? They actually remodeled the rooms there and in San Ignacio a couple of years ago.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 01:54 PM

We stopped in there to check things out last month.

The common areas have been dressed up and look very nice. We did not get inside any rooms however. The Bar/Restaurant was open with no customers. One car other than ours on a Friday at 3pm.

That beach is "sand dollar city", by the way.

Ken
Hansen

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 02:28 PM

I don't know if all the rooms have been redone but the two I stayed in were and they were very nice with good heating and A/C. Additionally, the bathrooms were newly tiled with new fixtures. Not much to complain about except the WiFi was a little weak and virtually no other guests. Problems(?), maybe not.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 02:36 PM

Thanks for the response. As I recall, this facility was among the larger in the old La Pinta chain. For years, they used to advertise a package deal for those traveling Baja where they provided a discount for multiple stays along the way. With no apparent affiliation, it would seem to me that unless they do some big time advertising, they are going to have difficulty filling the rooms.
Fred-o
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 04:54 PM
Right here is their best advertising

I have stayed there many times, paid top dollar$80 bucks or so, and was hard pressed to wrangle even a 10% senior discount.

However, if you don't count the restaurant, it is a very nice place to stay. My room was as described above. The heat and A/C (different occasions) worked fine. It was clean and comfortable. For 45 bucks and all rooms with that "drop dead" ocean view...It's a winner!

I have never had a good meal there however, so I have not tried it for a long time. Maybe that's better too, I just don't know. Many good restaurants not too far away however.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:04 PM

My vote would be to go to Jardines to eat.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Diane- When did you last stay at the Catavina facility? They actually remodeled the rooms there and in San Ignacio a couple of years ago.

Probably over a year ago in the summer. We needed to stop and it was too hot to stay at Linda's, so we sent for the air-conditioning and paid their expensive price. Opps, A/C did not work, but they did bring us two fans----Guess we are cheap, but 90 bucks is too much for us when we are just stopping for the night.

I am sure they have done more fixing up at San Ignacio recently since it flooded. We stick to our 300 peso hotel---price went up this year; it was 250 pesos.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:09 PM

My experience has been that the La Pintas have been charging more like $75 recently. But obviously way over your budget.:biggrin:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:16 PM

Hansen-
Thank you for the report. Good information to know.

How far from the highway is it and what is the condition of the road?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
My experience has been that the La Pintas have been charging more like $75 recently. But obviously way over your budget.:biggrin:

For $75.00 even we might spring for that----but the signs in the one in Catavina still say the rooms are more than that. I check everytime we drive through there on my way to the bathroom. :biggrin:

We really have enjoyed some stays at the one in Catavina in the past---but we do prefer to save our nickels if we are just there for the night. Linda's has got a bad review from some, and we had one negative experience there, but if the weather is cool, we think it is OK for a sleep and a shower.

Oh, someone mentioned the sand dollars at the San Quintin one----even in the early 90s that beach was really covered with the sand dollars, but not so much any more from what I have been told by some of the residents in that area---OK, third hand information and probably not accurate since the people reporting are not nomads. :biggrin:

Also, Jardins and we love that place, but don't forget the restaurant is closed on Mondays.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:24 PM

Tony- If you are coming from the South, you can take the old highway to the left at the fork. It is well signed. Otherwise, as Hansen mentioned make the turn at Los Pinos by the new Pemex. It's just a couple of miles and the road is in good condition. I will say, however, that whatever improvements they have made, no one should confuse this place with a resort.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:43 PM

Cool. I usually stayed at Old Mill in the past and more recently at Jardines. But that $45 with a great view sounds wonderful. Years ago I had a bad experience at Cielito Feo. For that same price I got a moldy room furnished by Goodwill Industries with a grungy bathroom and lukewarm trickle of a shower. I ain't paying $85 anywhere (not with my own money anyway.)

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Probably over a year ago in the summer. We needed to stop and it was too hot to stay at Linda's, so we sent for the air-conditioning and paid their expensive price. Opps, A/C did not work, but they did bring us two fans----Guess we are cheap, but 90 bucks is too much for us when we are just stopping for the night.

I am sure they have done more fixing up at San Ignacio recently since it flooded. We stick to our 300 peso hotel---price went up this year; it was 250 pesos.

I do not know first hand. But the San Ignacio hotel was several feet above street level, and I'm guessing they didn't get flooded. Recall that the Ignacio Springs folks took a hit, but they were right down there on the level of the lagoon.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 05:54 PM

are the sand dollars worth 13 to one?:biggrin::biggrin:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 06:45 PM

Don't think I would stay at this place unless they guaranteed the safety of my vehicle. :rolleyes:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

I do not know first hand. But the San Ignacio hotel was several feet above street level, and I'm guessing they didn't get flooded. Recall that the Ignacio Springs folks took a hit, but they were right down there on the level of the lagoon.

No, the hotel took a real hit---they are not very high---they are in somewhat of a low spot. Friends in San Ignacio told us that the water was at least 3 feet high in the hotel. In San Ignacio, they refer to it as the 50 year flood, and I sure would not want to see the 100 year flood. The damage from the force of the water is still there. The road was covered and the town was cut off from the outside, except a back muddy road that was and was not passable.

Fortunately, the owner of Ignacio Springs escaped with his life, thanks to his dog. But this is another topic.

I am looking forward to check out the changes in San Quintin.

grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 07:31 PM

villa san quintin has my vote. new rooms everything works, secure parking, decent restaurant. $450p
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.