Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bridges in the North
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 07:49 PM
Bridges in the North

It rained more the day before and the morning we were headed north. Fortunately, it did not rain as far south as the already well damaged San Borja road. But after a great breakfast and visit with friends in Bahia de Los Angeles, we had to head north.

We knew that everything was passable, but we wondered about the current rain. As we traveled north, we watched the level of mud on the sides of the southbound vehicles. The mud line kept sinking lower--a good sign for us. We knew we would make it north, we just did not want to face the mud.

A side road at El Rosario.

The dirt filled approaches to these bridges just washed away.

There were many areas where the water damage to small farms, and homes was incredible, but the traffic would just not allow us the time to slow down enough to take any pictures. Then just didn't understand. :biggrin:

But under the bridge by San Quintin, the amount of water that raged through the area is well recorded in the land.

And a pix with a really straight horizon---OK, no time to worry about such things. :biggrin:

We have been told that the people around the Vicente Guerrero area are really pleased with how fast the government has responded this time in comparison to when the bridge washed out in the early 90s. They are working on it, but the bend in the middle just looks not so good. Then again, I am not an engineer.

There was a positive thing for some locals with that flood. The mouth of that river can be seen from my sister's home and as soon as they could, the locals were at the mouth of the river collecting lots of wood for lots of different things.

And the rain is still responsible for that beautiful land of Dr. Suess

and the fat happy ones that make me smile.

Looking back at Baja to which we will return very soon to enjoy more of the beautiful color brought by the rain, to enjoy the company of our good friends, and to pursue our new Baja projects.

Edited to add the picture I forgot---looking back

[Edited on 3-9-2010 by DianaT]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 08:24 PM

Hola Diana T,

thank you for your report. i was wondering how baja norte faired in the current rains at the tecate crossing as i am wanting to depart L.A. for los barriles as soon as i can but only after hearing any reports in the areas that you detailed. the weather reports state there may be more rains this tuesday so we'll see ?

let's hope everybody did well in these current rains, ESPECIALLY OUR NEIGHBORS AND FRIENDS TO THE SOUTH.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT ( pardon the caps but, they were intentional for expressive purposes )
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Hola Diana T,

thank you for your report. i was wondering how baja norte faired in the current rains at the tecate crossing as i am wanting to depart L.A. for los barriles as soon as i can but only after hearing any reports in the areas that you detailed. the weather reports state there may be more rains this tuesday so we'll see ?

let's hope everybody did well in these current rains, ESPECIALLY OUR NEIGHBORS AND FRIENDS TO THE SOUTH.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT ( pardon the caps but, they were intentional for expressive purposes )

I did not include the road to Tecate as I did not take any photos---camera was put away.

The Tecate road did suffer some damage, but was not a problem---just some side roads and slow downs.

Have a great trip!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 09:59 PM

That bottom cardon image came out really well, Diane !!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2010 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
That bottom cardon image came out really well, Diane !!

THANK YOU ---really glad you like that one.

Diane

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:52 AM

Great pictures and thanks for the report. Mrs. Dra. Bajabass is driving from Ensenada to La Paz this weekend. My main worries were San Quintin El Rosario. You have eased my mind, Gracias!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Great pictures and thanks for the report. Mrs. Dra. Bajabass is driving from Ensenada to La Paz this weekend. My main worries were San Quintin El Rosario. You have eased my mind, Gracias!

I hear the rain is going to stop soon so by the weekend, it should not be too muddy. They keep building the dirt walls in the river by Vicente Guerrero as the road goes right through the river bed. She should have no problems---that entire San Quintin Valley area is always a slow drive anyway.

Probably the biggest danger right now is keeping one's eyes on the road. It is so green and the flowers are beginning to pop. There were some mustard fields that are blinding with that beautiful bright yellow (camera was put away )

Hope she has a great trip

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.