Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  12
Author: Subject: Road Block Bandits
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 02:51 PM
Road Block Bandits

Durango posted that there was an attempt to stop him by three trucks on That Road south of Puertecitos. He got by them by going off the road..they didn't follow.

I wonder if there have been any other such incidents lately. If there have been we need to raise some hell with the Puertecitos cops who have been pretty busy lately.

Any input on handling these dudes would be appreciated.

BB:?:
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 03:48 PM

I am interested in knowing more about this also. I probably would have stopped. How did he know to make a "get out of here quick move".???
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 04:16 PM

On the new pavement part or the unpaved part?
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 04:27 PM

I just got home from San Felipe and talked to quite a few people who had been down there last week and heard nothing of any of that. I would be interested in just where.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 04:32 PM

good reason to fly....

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 04:34 PM

It was his first time to Baja... it may have been a military check or a Federale check... they do set up at random places on occaision.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 04:38 PM

PRETTY BALLSY MOVE!!!!
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 05:14 PM

Durangotang said this on his post:
".....someone posing as police tried to stop us on the road. Three vehicles: one mid 90's Chevy PU, one S10 Blazer, and an older Toyota PU blocked the road and turned on red flashing lights on their dashes. I promptly went off the road and drove around them... they chose not to follow us and I don't know what they wanted..."

He said he was just back from three weeks so the attempted stop by the bad guys would have been within that time of the post which was 3/8. Somebody asked where it was and all he would say is "between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay"...he stayed at Papa's according to his pictures.

It is pretty interesting that only two people....me and another guy...were interested enough to ask about it. I think it's damned "interesting" considering the hijacking, at gun point, of a truck at Alfonsina's at Thanksgiving...after they attempted to hijack a Cessna 210 but failed because it was full of mean dogs!!:lol:

There are a lot of people who rely on That Road...and more so now that half of it is paved. I think we need to be rather insistent with our Mexican friends that there be some policing of this.

I also don't think the local cops down there drive THREE trucks as Durangotang said they did. There aren't enough of them...the Puertecitos cops have ONE truck that I know of. David K posted the above. Maybe he knows better.

Re flying...I usually do that. But once in a while I gotta haul some heavy stuff...or stay too long to park The Bird outside in the salt and sun.

In any case this $%#@ has to cease.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 05:20 PM

Tell it to the Mexican bureaucracy.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by Bajahowodd]
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 05:59 PM

Interesting to note that it occurred during the daytime as well, right?

What would you guys have done in the situation?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Interesting to note that it occurred during the daytime as well, right?

What would you guys have done in the situation?

He mentioned that he had run out of daylight---sounds like it was early evening.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 06:05 PM

When I first read durangotang's report about that, I believed he just mis-judged (being his first time in Baja) a federale or military checkpoint for a bandito shakedown. Having spent 40 some years traveling frequently in remote parts of Baja and never seen a 'bandito'... I conclude they are about as real as chupacabras.

A few years ago (2003) I was driving to Bahia de los Angeles, rounded a bend (near Agua Amarga) and there was a roadblock... by black uniformed federal police and military type commandos... trying to catch some narcotics trafficers I believe.

They can set up anywhere, anytime...

'Banditos' would have to be pretty brave to operate a road block on the main highway south of Puertecitos... don't you think?

As far as avoiding them the way he did... if they were bandits, would they just let him get away and turn them in? If they were military doing drug searches... they probably assumed a Jeep Liberty pulling a trailer of camping gear wasn't a threat and not worth running after...?

I just took another look at that part of his report, and see that it was in the dark... I am thinking it may have only been a vehicle with mechanical problems? I would like to hear how they "posed as police"... I am sure glad they avoided a possible problem and had a great trip!:

"Problems with my trailer persisted and we soon ran out of daylight... you need a FULL day to run that road... then things took another turn... someone posing as police tried to stop us on the road. Three vehicles: one mid 90's Chevy PU, one S10 Blazer, and an older Toyota PU blocked the road and turned on red flashing lights on their dashes. I promptly went off the road and drove around them... they chose not to follow us and I don't know what they wanted...

We finally arrived at Papa Fernandez and set our camp in the dark... "

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 06:17 PM

I don't know what I would have done. I don't travel to Baja as frequently as some others

But I guess frequently is a relative term and can be used how ever you want.
durangotang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 06:49 PM

Well hello there ;)

Let me see if I can shed some light on the topic.... I guess I'll tell the story in more detail:

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga. If this makes sense to anyone: it was the area where it gets rockier and you are climbing up and down more hills... probably 3/4 of the way to Papa Fernandez (vague, I know). Once the sun set, we started seeing a lot more traffic heading northbound with automotive parts: a large flatbed full of engines, a pickup with a Toyota cab in the bed, various other pickups full of parts... didn't see anyone for a while after seeing all those trucks then I saw 3 sets of headlights coming. It was at one of those sections with the sandy track that ran parallel to the road. I didn't think anything of it until one of the trucks pulled alongside the other, taking up the whole road. The third truck then drove onto the sandy track. I turned on the bumper lights and saw that the two vehicles in the road each had 1 person in them in civilian clothes... the truck in the sandy track turned on a flashing red light inside the cab and the other two followed suit and stopped. I decided not to stop and drove through the brush between the road and the sandy track. I turned on the backup lights as I passed them and none of them had license plates or markings of any kind. The 3 trucks sat there for a minute then continued down the road.

I ran into a guy from california who lives at Papa Fernandez and asked him about the whole thing. He said that, earlier that day, there had been government people there investigating the stolen planes. He said they were all in newer SUV's.

So there you go... that's the scoop. Take it as you will.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 06:54 PM

well I have had a run in with what Durango experienced.

this happened about 25 years ago,, i was traveling with a mexcian friend of mine,, from san diego to La paz,,, cant really remember where this happened but it was in baja sur, after going thru this small town,, we can across the same thing, a road block,, that was not made up of police cars or military vehicles,, my friend told me to blow them off ,, . I did the same thing that Durango did,, and they didnt follow us or did nothing,, I asked him how did you know,, he told me that he was born and raised in TJ,. he knew the drill
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:04 PM

None of the vehicles you described in your first post sounded like police or military vehicles. Sounds like you made a quick and correct decision. Congrats. Being a member of that AARP you mentioned, I doubt I would have reacted so quickly.

I just can't imagine that if the blockade was real with either the feds or the military, you would be writing about this for a while, if at all. I cannot imagine that they would not have chased you or called ahead and stopped you and your trailer full of camping gear.

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:09 PM

I sure hate to hear the sound of the potential trouble on the road to Gonzaga Bay. We often drive there on our "week" trips but never at night...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:10 PM
DITTO DIANA

was this just recently going on with the new HWY between Mexicali and Rocky Point... I remember some thing about this on the San Felipe web site
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:13 PM

Besides, the military have military vehicles....
Even the times I actually have been pulled over I do as a few Mexicans have told me to do, keep driving for quite awhile and then see if they look for a more compliant fish.
The worst that has happened to me was a policia lectured me about not pulling over immediately until I told him that I just wanted to make sure we pulled over in a safe place where neither of us would get hurt.
Other times I have just had them hook another fish.
It's Mexico. I wouldn't stop for civilian trucks with a red light either. Screw that.

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:18 PM

If it was a military stop and he went around it, he would have been machine gunned dead, especially towing a trailer that could be filled with guns. Remember at the beginning of his trip there were 3 vehicles, probably why he wasn't followed.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by 805gregg]
 Pages:  1    3  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.