desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 08:43 AM

i never had a problem.

I really enjoy your posts
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 10:40 AM

I'm planning on driving to South America when I retire in 7 years. Can't wait! That ferry to Chile sounds like a plan.
Dave
Elite Nomad

cool.gif posted on 3-12-2010 at 11:05 AM
Friends helping friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
would they have room for me?

You could drop Amy at my place.

fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 01:06 PM
Not your first Maté Roger!!

What a great story Roger! It looks like you all had a great time.

Just to remind you about another encounter with Maté in the back patio of your house!

Our son was living in Santiago, Chile and we had traveled there to visit him there. He introduced us to the cultural experience of the maté circle.

A few years later when deciding on a name for our new pup we decided on Maté!

Here are a few pictures of Maté enjoying your place at Coyote.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Thanks for your hospitality!!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 3-12-2010 at 03:45 PM

I guess Rogelio isn't posting many pictures of that party to protect the guilty. I confess...I was there. It was a fiesta well done by a master host! There was BBQ'd steak, roasted chicken, sashimi, Oysters Rockefeller, many wonderful side dishes and mystery dips. That flagstone patio and the view is magnificent. I met the first Argentenian couple but had not heard their story. Missed the Mate' too. :(
Glad you filled us in on that, Roger.:yes:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 04:46 PM

That's a Willys alright. The second vehicle is a Citroen 2CV, the legendary "Deux Chevaux", essentially a 4 wheel motorcycle with a 2 cyl opposed bike engine. Some earlier models had corrugated sheet metal bodies over tube steel frames. The seats were tube frame lawn chairs with canvas supported by rubber bands. You could take the seats out for a picnic. They were kinda fun and very economical but I wouldn't want to drive one on LA freeways.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 04:56 PM

I wonder if there is a cult that encourages people to make that trip.:lol:

A couple of years ago, we got into a panga at San Ignacio to play with the whales. Our only fellow boatmates were a couple from Austria, who had flown to Buenos Aires with their motorcycles, and had gone South from their so they could then journey North to Alaska. When we had our encounter in San Ignacio, they had been on the road almost one year.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 11:32 AM
Another distinguished member of the adventure.

A vintage 1928 touring car. Imagine riding this at a sizzling 35 mph on the Pan Am Highway.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
I guess Rogelio isn't posting many pictures of that party to protect the guilty. I confess...I was there. It was a fiesta well done by a master host! There was BBQ'd steak, roasted chicken, sashimi, Oysters Rockefeller, many wonderful side dishes and mystery dips. That flagstone patio and the view is magnificent. I met the first Argentenian couple but had not heard their story. Missed the Mate' too. :(
Glad you filled us in on that, Roger.:yes:

Tony...find yourself in this crowd collage?..and your dog, Paco?

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjBill
How did the Argentines manage to drive from Colombia to Central America since there is no road that connects the continents.

Ditto, there is no road connecting Baja Sur to the continent either.
It's interesting how these intrepid travelers make the decision to 'ship' their vehicles over to Baja to see this rare and exotic place.
Or maybe it's just the huge hospitality magnet pulling them towards Pampano's patio?

;D
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 05:02 PM

I can't speak for those, especially from Europe, But I do think that the idea of transiting a continent has an appeal. The diff between traveling up the main continent versus Baja, is a wash. But there are people out there, with a sense of discovery who do this kind of stuff.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2010 at 05:23 PM

It's all about....."The Great Race" It lives within all of us..especially Bajaphytes.

(1965, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon)

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 10:04 AM

Epic journey indeed! You have a charmed life for a kid from Fargo! I recall looking at the flax fields from the roof of the barn in Pembina County and thinking "this is what the ocean must be like".

I greatly enjoy your posts, great stories and pictures.

Iflyfish
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 11:00 AM

That Willys Overland was my first car, 4 cyl, 4x4, F-head engine, not a flathead. Top speed was 45 until we put in a Warn Overdrive gear splitter, which bumped the speed to 55. Can't tell you how many times I drove it into Baja during the 60's and 70's. Can't tell you how many times if broke down, I learned a lot about cars during that time. That particular car in the post is a later model. Mine was a '51, split windshield with a single tail light, no turn signal. Later they added two tail lights and towards the end, 61 or 62 being the last year of production, a single windshield. Seeing that picture sure brought a smile to me and lots of memories. I never heard of them being a diesel, I wonder if they put one in.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 08:23 PM

Pampano, You've been really blessed. I've lived in SA for many years and Mate .... really is a great treat. Wow, an old jeep and a citreon cv2 - what a combination for travel.
God I wish I could have been there. Very impressive and exciting.
Good luck to both couples. :bounce:

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
Pampano, You've been really blessed. I've lived in SA for many years and Mate .... really is a great treat. Wow, an old jeep and a citreon cv2 - what a combination for travel.
God I wish I could have been there. Very impressive and exciting.
[size=4Good luck[/size] to both couples. :bounce:

Bajalover...you reminded me of a 'good luck' thing we did with the Argentine couple, Juan and Amy. We gave them the 'wishbone' to see who would get their wish.

As luck would have it, the wishbone broke evenly in half, so both get their wishes. :yes:

I kinda think that Good Luck for these youngsters is redundant, but we wish it anyway! Buena suerte, travelers.

fishingmako
Nomad

Mood: always up

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 06:30 PM

Pomp, those were really great pictures, you do such a good job, one time in here there was a thread on sunsets your's was so really great I had you e-mail it to me,which I sill use now and again for my wallpaper on my Lap Top, I had no problem with size or anything with these.

But here is the real kicker, that pad you have in COYOTE BAY is awesome,I see you have a few parties,wanted to know if I could come? what a place to get it together maybe even a RETREAT.

Later
fishingmako
Nomad

Mood: always up

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 06:32 PM

Pomp, those were really great pictures, you do such a good job, one time in here there was a thread on sunsets your's was so really great I had you e-mail it to me,which I sill use now and again for my wallpaper on my Lap Top, I had no problem with size or anything with these.

But here is the real kicker, that pad you have in COYOTE BAY is awesome, I see you have a few parties,wanted to know if I could come? what a place to get it together maybe even a RETREAT.

Later
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2010 at 07:09 AM
Hola mako,

Thanks, and I'm glad you like my photos..it's been a hobby I've enjoyed for many years and am happy to plaster them on Nomads. No matter what....

One thing though, mako.. the sunsets. Those are actully sunrises as my home in Coyote Bay is on the Sea Of Cortez and faces east. It would be terrific if I could see the Pacific sunsets from here, but there's a few mountains blocking the view.

Here's today's sunrise view for you.

It's STILL very windy. I woke up this morning listening to The Whistling Wind and thought I was in Hawaii just before a hurricane hits. ;D Yesterday was so bad Bouyweather classed it here with small-craft warnings.

A bummer. I am here in Baja. Therefore, I need to fish.

As for parties at mi casa..those happen when they happen..and you are always invited to join. Better yet, stop by for a cup of coffee or a cold one..we'll visit and play a few games of 3 ball, talk about sharks, etc..

Hasta pronto.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 3-21-2010 at 07:32 AM
lounging at Roger's place.

i second that.

showed up last sat morning at Roger's place un announced (been 2 years!) and he welcomed me with cold beers and his normal generous hospitality.

and he was busy with other biz to boot. (selling a boat)
just said - "relax on my patio while i take care of a few items."

P2230034 (Small).JPG - 39kB

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.