Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Best GPS?
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 08:47 AM
Best GPS?

We need to invest in a portable GPS system. Saw Magellan, Tom Tom and one I can't remember the name of at Costco. Any personal opinions as to what's best?:?:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 08:50 AM

Garmin... there are Baja maps availabe for Garmin Nuvis see www.LBMaps.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 09:11 AM

Garmin! That was the one I couldn't remember!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 09:17 AM

portable... like in hiking? or for your car like the Nuvi?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 09:21 AM

My recommendation is: Garmin is tops in GPS.

I use a handheld GPSMap76 model. Used it 2 days to waypoint and map our trail from Mulege to mountain plateau 35 miles west of Mulege to see the Pacific to the west and Cortez to the east.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=169&ra=true

I also use this model to drive around the USA, Canada, and Mexico. Pretty much foolproof..which is mandatory in my case.

[Edited on 3-18-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 09:54 AM
Garmin e Trex

I have a GARMIN e Trex handheld

One sold on EBAY last week with shipping for $57.00.:wow:

It was NEW ...:yes:

:spingrin::yes::saint::smug::P:P:P:P
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 10:02 AM

I need one that will help me get home from Sharkey's.
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 10:11 AM

We use a Lowrance -- and most of the racers use Lowrance -- but it is used for mapping during your pre-run and then following your map during the race. Good for mapping back roads and routes that are not on existing maps. You can buy maps for it.
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 10:31 AM

This would be for the car, but don't want to get one you have to have installed. We're not back-roaders, just old farts who'd like to do some road travel, and would like to have one that automatically updates.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 10:48 AM

Since you are admitted old farts, get one intended for the car and not a walk-around model. They have much bigger screens and you can actually SEE details on it.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I need one that will help me get home from Sharkey's.

That should be part of the "service", getting you home safely. They want you back again...or maybe not.:rolleyes:

Or, get a dog. They know the way home. :lol: That's my hi-tek advice for the day (or night, as the case may be).:coolup:

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 11:16 AM
The problem is...

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Or, get a dog. They know the way home.

Dennis' dog knows how it's gonna turn out so he goes home early. :rolleyes:

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 11:37 AM

TomTom 340sl, 4in. screen for our old eyes, 3D, it talks to you. US, Canada and Mexico maps, when you screw up (because the hubby knows more) it even gets you back on track, it also somehow, haven't figured out how, turns around and gets you back to where you came from. We loved ours so much we bought a second one, his and hers. Expensive in the store, about $300, but, do a search online and you can get it for about $125.....this thing is so cool it somehow reads your speed and tells you how many hours/minutes you are from you destination....on a recent trip home from San Francisco to Port Orchard (Seattle area) we pulled up at the house the exact minute it said..

Mean people suck!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 12:18 PM

Love the Garmin touch screen (Nuvi) with keys that say stuff like "space" and "done". So simple to use even a cave man (or old fart) can do it.
About a million Points of Interest (gas stations, hamburger joints, you name it). Wish mine had a scale though!!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
This would be for the car, but don't want to get one you have to have installed. We're not back-roaders, just old farts who'd like to do some road travel, and would like to have one that automatically updates.

if for car, get the biggest screen available (bigger screens cost more, but more user friendly). most of the automobile models are similar (touch screen, etc).

mount below dash (if above dash, the light is distracting when driving at night)

if you got an iphone or blackberry or droid or similar smart phone, you already got a good system and can skip putting another one in car.

if traveling paved roads in baja, you really don't need gps, as there are so few roads that maps are pretty easy to use.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 01:52 PM

i'm looking too

but...

no where to mount the thing

window mount is illegal and i dont want to drill the dash

so...

i'm looking for the mount first

also take a look at the hotel listing
some don't provide telephone numbers

you get a better rate if you "call ahead":o

mount.jpg - 19kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
triarts

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 04:42 PM

bob & susan, go to arkon.com for a mount, i got the one that fits in a cup holder in my expedition.. my friend uses one that clips on to air vent, but i think it would take its toll on rough roads. got a nuvi 200 w for about 120.00 last year at target. didn't have time to get baja map but took it anyway, it wrote the road all the way to punta baja for me
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
TomTom 340sl, 4in. screen for our old eyes, 3D, it talks to you. US, Canada and Mexico maps, when you screw up (because the hubby knows more) it even gets you back on track, it also somehow, haven't figured out how, turns around and gets you back to where you came from. We loved ours so much we bought a second one, his and hers. Expensive in the store, about $300, but, do a search online and you can get it for about $125.....this thing is so cool it somehow reads your speed and tells you how many hours/minutes you are from you destination....on a recent trip home from San Francisco to Port Orchard (Seattle area) we pulled up at the house the exact minute it said..

Just how detailed are the Baja maps on that Tom Tom?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 06:00 PM

You guys are great! Thanks for all the input! Hadn't thought about getting one on ebay cheaper.......great idea!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 07:03 PM

David, I don't know, haven't used it in Baja yet, what I do know is if you are an owner you can use their web-site and download any thing you might need.

SdRonni.....don't go to ebay, just do a search for "TomTom" I got my second one from a discount store that I'd never heard of, (and was a bit apprehensive of) but, got in in 3 days I wish I had kept the shipping invoice so I could give better info. Sorry...

Mean people suck!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.