the vents are BIG circle things
and i would hate to tear them up with scratches
since you look straight at them

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2010 at 08:02 PM

They have the been bag type holders. They are meant for the dash but could be used in other places?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 09:16 AM

Yeah, I have one of the bean bag base ones for my 60 CSX and I really like it. It has a non-skid surface on the bottom and moves easily from vehicle to vehicle. I position it along the left edge of the windshield in the corner. Easy to glance at and almost no visibility blockage. Sometimes it can slide a bit on REALLY gnarly roads but a little bit of non-skid tape on the dash where it sits would solve that. I really dont use GPS for dirt roads much.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 09:33 AM

anybody here with smart phones try google maps, verizon navigator or iphone gps maps in baja??? which worked best?

i am hoping that forthcoming ipad will have gps with mobile map capability -- that would be great navigation screen for use in car.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

i am hoping that forthcoming ipad will have gps with mobile map capability -- that would be great navigation screen for use in car.

hey, i answered part of my musing:

this sounds cool,...

Update: March 15, 2010: Apple has provided some additional updates and information about the iPad's GPS and navigation features. Apple states: "iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."

This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning.

The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy in a wide range of conditions, including urban environments, which can block or bounce GPS signals.

Other iPad mapping features are similar to those on the iPhone, including using Google Maps and related services, ability to switch between map, satellite, and terrain views, and turn-by-turn directions.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

this sounds cool,...

Update: March 15, 2010: Apple has provided some additional updates and information about the iPad's GPS and navigation features. Apple states: "iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."

This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning.

The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy in a wide range of conditions, including urban environments, which can block or bounce GPS signals.

Other iPad mapping features are similar to those on the iPhone, including using Google Maps and related services, ability to switch between map, satellite, and terrain views, and turn-by-turn directions.

What would this have to do with reliable GPS reception in Baja?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Quote:

this sounds cool,...

What would this have to do with reliable GPS reception in Baja?

well, if ipad has a gps chip/reciever with reliable GPS reception outside of 3G network, it will mean the end of dashboard-mounted after-market GPS units. why not buy a single unit that does GPS and email and books and videos? -- and take it in car, boat, plane, backpack, etc.
ipad is on the streets in early april.
i am thinking of ditching blackberry, to go with flip phone for voice, and ipad for everything else.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:09 AM

Cell reception has to be equal to US to consider its use in Baja wouldn't you think? You can't rely on cell service in 60% of Baja, so your fancy phone is just an address book 40% of the time.

Great for the US though. I love the GPS in my Blueberry.:cool:

Ken

spelling edit

[Edited on 3-19-2010 by tripledigitken]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Cell reception has to be equal to US to consider its use in Baja wouldn't you think? You can't rely on cell service in 60% of Baja, so your fancy phone is just an address book 40% of the time.

Ken

spelling edit

knucklehead,
gps works with satellites, not phone network. if your phone has gps receiver it will work for navigation when off the phone grid
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Ken

spelling edit

knucklehead,
gps works with satellites, not phone network. if your phone has gps receiver it will work for navigation when off the phone grid

You still have to have to receive the signal via cell towers or wifi how will that happen in baja reliably? Help this knucklehead out will you?

....This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ken

spelling edit

knucklehead,

You still have to have to receive the signal via cell towers or wifi how will that happen in baja reliably? Help this knucklehead out will you?

....This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning....

this is what i read

"The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy..."

sounds like it will have a gps chip :bounce:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:41 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5015930/giz-explains-what-you-didnt-know-...

Iphones use a combination of GPS, Wifi and Cell signal to function.

Knucklehead
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
http://gizmodo.com/5015930/giz-explains-what-you-didnt-know-...

Iphones use a combination of GPS, Wifi and Cell signal to function.

Knucklehead

hey knucklehead:
well my blackberry also uses both gps and tower signals for positioning -- and when i am out of cell coverage it can tell me location based on gps alone. i think the ipad will have same, so in remote boonies such as baja all you may need is maps on hard disc that work when out of cell tower range. (on blackeberry, the map graphics are not on hard disc and only available when in cell phone range)
sincerely,
bighead
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 11:39 AM

What's this? I thought I was Knucklehead. Is everybody Knucklehead now or are you getting confused?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.