Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Loreto need planes
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 07:20 AM

from BBP

"Just checking to see if anyone is planning a trip to Mulege between March 26 and April 2. My 13 year-old son and I would like to contribute to expenses if you're going.

Absolutely no commercial flights available into Loreto from the States. I've been checking for the last month and 3 weeks ago the only accommodation was "1 seat from LAX to LTO on the 9th and 1 seat from LTO to LAX on the 25th". Hard to believe that Alaska/Horizon wouldn't add a few flights. Had to fly to Los Cabos and rent a car to get to Mulege last week - not an experience I'd care to repeat."

so - that's wassup amigos....
he'll get a private flight for sure.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajabeachbabe
Nomad

Mood: Loving life

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 08:19 AM

Just arrived in Loreto yesterday on the Horizon flight. Of course it was totally full. I had expected that almost everyone on the flight would have been residents rather than tourists. I was pleasantly surprised to find that many of the people sitting near me on the plane were tourists on their first visit to Loreto. That was good news. That being said, I think many of them were on prearranged package trips and had transportation from the airport planned in advance.

As we left the terminal and headed to one of the yellow vans to go into town, I noticed that there were almost 5 vans lined up and from the entire plane only 5 passengers needed a van (my husband and I and a family of 3) which didn't even fill one van. This is the harsh reality from the downsizing of the planes into Loreto. No one can get here at any price!

We are soon to be part-time residents and had planned to take our son with us this trip as he was on Spring Break, but we got the last two seats on the plane. I booked this trip back in January!

Hotels are sitting empty as people cancel their reservations when they can't get a flight. No visitors, no business for restaurants, etc. The streets are noticeably empty. This situation is bad business for everyone. Alaska is losing a huge opportunity, as I heard that most flights are already booked through the end of May! Perhaps it is time for us to speak with our online pens.

I became aware of a website where you can create online petitions. A group of LaPaz gringos from Canada currently have a petition going to request WestJet (a Canadian airline that flies direct to Cabo from Calgary) to begin direct flights to La Paz). I had let one of the hotel owners in Loreto know about this petition website, hoping that they would pick up the opportunity to have their voices heard, but nothing has happened yet.

Anyone want to take up the campaign? The website is:
http://www.petitiononline.com/
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 08:31 AM

I've flown Alaska for years, to and from Loreto, Kalispell, and Medford. I have their credit card and mileage plan.

Last quote for a flight: $800+ just for the Loreto/LAX segment.

Apparently, that flight is now full. Someone else bought that ticket while we booked an alternative out of Cabo instead.

Congratulations on your short term profit, and say goodbye to a former satisfied customer who will continue to shop for alternatives.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2010 at 07:39 AM

airlines are not going to run at a loss.

Loreto built that HUGE new terminus....

now what??

new pilot training ab initio starts have been down for many years - i just heard that trend is now reversing - which is big for GA industry.

forward thinking people with means are tired of the bag and shoe dance courtesy of DHS...with attractive leases and MACRS 5 year depreciation..getting in to a nice 4 seat single makes a lot of financial sense today.
for some that is.:lol:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

fuelpusher2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 06:05 PM

Alaska stopped flying their larger passenger planes into LTO last year tomove them to more profitable routes....like Hawaii. Only Horizon comes into LTO from LAX but with smaller 70 passenger planes. As we speak, the smaller planes are coming in and leaving FULL and over booked. Book early and there isn't an issue....but they are pricier than they used to be.

We understand that the Loreto hotel association is working hard to get Aero Mexico to resume the SAN-LTO-Mexico City route they had when it was subsidized by Loreto Bay 5 years ago. Wouldn't be surprised if the Villa Group is also working to the same goal.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 04:34 AM

That SAN-LTO- DF flight was a good one. about half the people were LTO bound the others got to clear customs in LTO rather than Mexico City, thats got to be a bonus! Kept that flight prety full.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 05:43 AM

I used to fly LTO but no more..much cheaper and always seats available to and from San Jose del Cabo. I just booked a seat from Rome-Miami-LAX-San Jose..no problemo. That whole ticket ..about 7000 miles..with an Alitalia discount..is less than what Alaska wanted for LAX-Loreto.

Loreto via Alaska/Horizon is too much of a ripoff for me.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 07:34 AM

aha!! busted!!
that "co-piloto" of yours is actually a line pilot with Alitalia, and she is getting you her jump fare discount!!
and you are hopping onto the train at LAX!

very cool roger.:cool:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 11:43 AM

Villa Group is going to have to do something. They will need a great deal of traffic to their site if they are going to sell units. Busing folks up from Cabo won't work. They already have hundreds of rooms throughout Mexico, and they could probably use their existing customer base by giving incentives like two for one for folks willing to trade. But it won't sell units. One reason that Cabo exploded was affordable and convenient flights.
bajabeachbabe
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuelpusher2
Alaska stopped flying their larger passenger planes into LTO last year tomove them to more profitable routes....like Hawaii.

Funny how that worked. We flew over Christmas to and from Hawaii with Alaska and the flight home from Kona to Seattle was half empty. I don't ever recall any of the Alaska flights we have taken from Loreto being that empty. Seems they made a bad switch if that is the case. Hawaii tourism is down too.
bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 10:23 PM

Last month. LAX to San Josa,Costa Rica R/T $375.00 total on U.S airways. June 15th Alaska, LAX to LTO R/T $505.00
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 06:52 AM

what is "villa group"

bajabeachbabe
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 08:18 AM
Villa del Palmar Loreto

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
what is "villa group"

Here is the link to the website for the new development south of Loreto in Ensenada Blanca. Villa Group is a huge timeshare company in Mexico.

http://www.villadelpalmarloreto.com/
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 08:20 AM

Your kidding , mike ?

http://www.villadelpalmarloreto.com/
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 08:28 AM

no - i don't follow it and didn't know.

fuelpusher2
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 09:36 PM

I CHECKED THE VILLA GROUP WEBSITE AND I THINK THEY ARE A BIT OPTOMISTIC.

"By Air - Regular flights to Loreto’s international airport can be found through AeroMexico, Aerocalafia, Continental, Delta, and Alaska Airlines and has one hour flights from San Diego."

THAT'S NEWS TO ME.....I LIVE IN SAN DIEGO AND THERE ARE NO FLIGHTS DIRECT TO LORETO FROM SAN DIEGO.......YET. AND DELTA & CONTINENTAL DON'T FLY INTO LORETO AT ALL ANYMORE.

"Major cities with normal flights into Loreto are Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, Houston, Mexico City, La Paz, Los Cabos, and Herrmosillo."

"By Sea - The majestic Puerto Escondido is located just eight minutes south of Loreto and is the best location to drop anchor."

SOMEBODY DOESN'T KNOW THEIR GEOGRAPHY. PUERTO ESCONDIDO IS 16 MILES - 30 MINUTES SOUTH OF LORETO BY BOAT.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 04:53 AM

as Gomer once said...."sloppy, sloppy sloppy...":lol::lol::lol:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 04:16 PM

However, one should not underestimate this very successful developer. Their property by the glorietta across from the bus station on Salvatierra is now open, after a number of years of very slow construction. Not totally sure about the reason for its existence, but I would bet the farm that there will be timeshare presentations there. It's called Hotel Santa Fe. It's next to Domingo's Place and Hacienda Suites. they are certainly not going to sell many units at Ensenada Blanca without increasing traffic to the area. So, I have to believe they will strike a deal with one or more airline to subsidize fares and increase flights. The link posted above is outdated. But if you Google Villa Group, you'll see that they have successful projects throughout Mexico.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 06:42 PM

I've been looking at flights out of Loreto recently also and thought I was entering something wrong on the online flight search- holy cow! I can get all the way from Cabo to Cincinnati for the same price as Loreto to LAx- $700.

I bet it irritates the heck out of you guys who live in Loreto with the airport in your backyard, and those in Mulege who have to drive right by it in search of a more reasonable alternative.

But 16 hrs is way too much to ask my husband to endure for one day's drive to drop me off. I bet we'd easily spend $250 on fuel for him to drop me off and pick me up in San jose and maybe hotel costs if we couldn't do the turn-around in one day. So there are some added expenditures .

Loreto is so much more convenient - if I could even get a seat.

For now, I refuse to pay that much and may investigate how painful it would be to take a bus from Constitución to SJD.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 08:59 PM

ola dulce - if i couldn't fly - i would be glad to take the ABC luxury coach liners to SJDC.
i hear they are nice, AC and movies!!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.