Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Runways from Space-Part 3: Ensenada to Laguna Chapala
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 09:24 AM
Baja Runways from Space-Part 3: Ensenada to Laguna Chapala

Part 1 covered the San Felipe region south to the Bahia de los Angeles region. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43077

Part 2 covered the rest of the state of Baja California from the L.A. Bay highway junction with Mex. 1 and south to the state border. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44822

Part 3 covers Ensenada to Laguna Chapala, north to south.

NOTE: MANY of the runways shown here are closed/ abandoned/ ditched... consult with the Baja Bush Pilots for current details. Most of these airports have been illustrated in Arnold Senterfitt's 'Airports of Baja California' and Galen Hanselman's 'Air Baja!' Shown here for historic interest...

Ensenada:

La Grulla Gun Club/ Punta Banda:

Ojos Negros/ Real de Castillo:

Punta China/ Puerto Santo Tomas:

El Alamo:

Mision Santa Catalina:

Valle de Trinidad/ Colonia Lazaro Card##as:

Mike's Sky Rancho (North):

Mike's Sky Rancho South (Los Encinos):

Meling Ranch/ Rancho San Jose:

Hamilton Ranch:

El Buen Pastor/ Baptist Mission:

Rancho Valladolid:

San Quintin Military:

Campo Lorenzo (next door to Old Mill):

Pedregal (across the bay from Campo Lorenzo):

Cielito Lindo:

Los Pinos:

El Socorro:

El Rosario Mesa (location of Diamante del Mar concrete runway):

El Arenoso (Los Martires jcn.):

Guayaquil (located on old main road, see new highway built to the south):

El Marmol:

Punta San Carlos:

Rancho Santa Ynez:

Laguna Chapala:

There are more, including crop duster runways in farm areas... If you would like to see a runway not included above, let me know!

[Edited on 3-19-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 06:57 PM

nice images.
do not, repeat, never land at Ceilito Lindo, San carlos or mike's sky ranch!!!!!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:03 PM

Wow, so many places to land in Baja. Never knew there were so many places. I imagine that some of these are not maintained at all.

I had no idea there was such a nice runway near Rancho Santa Ynez! Wow.

Great series of images David. Thanks, Bob H

PS: Capt Mike, what is significant about never landing at those three places?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:08 PM

1. San carlos is and has been closed for years.
2. Ceilito Lindo has crappy and non maintenance the past years - it is horribly dangerous today.
3. Mikes Rancho was closed by Leon years ago and is non existent for the most part.

the number of good strips in excellent locations are mind blowing, and it used to be EVEN better in the 80s.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:16 PM
you missed one

use at your own risk.

100_3207.jpg - 44kB

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
use at your own risk.

That is a great one Woody. One of the old-timers in Bahia Asuncion told us that back in about 1948, before there was a town, fishermen would travel to Bahia Asuncion for the Lobster and Abalone.

Then there was a woman named Diana from San Diego who would fly in during low tide. They would light up the beach and she would land on the hard sand and then leave with A LOT of product. He said it was great and she was famous.

It is one of those stories that may, or may not be all true, but fun to listen to just the same.

That would be an airstrip that would not show anywhere. :biggrin:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
1. San carlos is and has been closed for years.
2. Ceilito Lindo has crappy and non maintenance the past years - it is horribly dangerous today.
3. Mikes Rancho was closed by Leon years ago and is non existent for the most part.

the number of good strips in excellent locations are mind blowing, and it used to be EVEN better in the 80s.

That's very interesting Mike... how does a pilot know which landing spots are bad... can you see how bad they are on a flyover before attempting to land on any given spot?

Bob H
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:47 PM

Rancho Magana just before San Quintin at the bridge. Really well maintain.
On the east side of the Hwy.
Capt Mike did you know Paul Baxter? Was a duster from Imperial Valley but would help most pilots here. Live here in Vicente Guerrero and Puertocitos.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
use at your own risk.

That is a great one Woody. One of the old-timers in Bahia Asuncion told us that back in about 1948, before there was a town, fishermen would travel to Bahia Asuncion for the Lobster and Abalone.

Then there was a woman named Diana from San Diego who would fly in during low tide. They would light up the beach and she would land on the hard sand and then leave with A LOT of product. He said it was great and she was famous.

It is one of those stories that may, or may not be all true, but fun to listen to just the same.

That would be an airstrip that would not show anywhere. :biggrin:

notice the trenches? cartel use only. the boys talk of planes in the night without lights - on the plane or lighting the runway. "solo gps," they say!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 07:42 AM

i do not know Baxter but Beercan probably does.

bob H - it is very simple - land, if you are alive and the plane is not totaled, then the strip is probably ok.

if you are dead and the plane is totaled, then that airstrip you take off your list of good ones!! :biggrin::biggrin:

and a low slow fly by is always a good thing if you were not able to get recent reports from others on condition. a very good reason to be a BBP member.
pilots report after most trips like on here...excepting no one on that forum does the attack or political modes, strictly verboten or you get kicked off!!! we are all very gentlemen like over there, like in those 40s movies.;)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 09:28 AM

Guys, I put this above the first image:

>>>NOTE: MANY of the runways shown here are closed/ abandoned/ ditched... consult with the Baja Bush Pilots for current details. Most of these airports have been illustrated in Arnold Senterfitt's 'Airports of Baja California' and Galen Hanselman's 'Air Baja!' Shown here for historic interest...<<<

Mike's south runway was replaced in the late 1970's by his new north runway. When the government told Mike he had to post a gaurd there 24/7 (the runway is several miles from the ranch), Mike Leon refused and closed that runway. Most of his business was from off roaders and not pilots, anyway.

I have ground photos at El Arenoso and El Marmol runways, and they are ditched... like the one in Woody's photo.

Santa Ynez once has avgas for sale, but the government stoped that at all non-government airports... Bad for pilots, bad for Santa Ynez and other airports.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 08:49 AM

I've been drooling over my old Senterfitt's guide for the last few days looking at old airports.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I've been drooling over my old Senterfitt's guide for the last few days looking at old airports.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 10:17 AM

I have the bottom one, with the colorful cover.

Good timing, bumping this old thread.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 01:32 PM

Back in the 70s I had to go to Santa Ynez just for a little gas to make it back north. I was glad it was there. I would have been stuck without it.
So much for progress!
Loved the Diaz strip right next to their hotel in BOLA. Park right at your room. Sleep on the porch on the fold out 2X4 and burlap "cots"
You had to avoid the crossing road part way down Papa's runway in Gonzaga. Two deep ruts from the cars.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 05:23 PM

This is literally killing me. I will now not be able to focus on building the most complex flying machines ever built by man here at the Boeing factory.
David how do you expect me to build a over 200 foot long airplane down to the .001" if you keep distracting and making me want to fly to the middle of no where for no good reason other than there being a runway that I want land on.
You're killing me here!
I will cry if Cielito Lindo closes. Even though I have my own runway I NEED Cielito Lindo... for my soul...
It is sad to see it neglected but I don't imagine the trailer trash that inhabits the area these days does much flying... except maybe at Happy Hour.
What in the heck happened?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 05:39 PM

Now, now fishbuck... just relax... it will all be okay...

Heck, you can drive to Gonzaga Bay on a paved highway now!!! Talk about horror of horrors!!

It would be great if Porky Pig posted here to give us an update on their airstrip and any other Cielito Lindo news.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 05:47 PM

Disclaimer: I love trailer trash.:tumble::tumble:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 05:54 PM

Flying is always better than driving. Even more so now with traffic and check points etc.
In fact that is the name of my new flying service.
Faster than driving airways. "Our planes are old and slow... but faster than a car."

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 06:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Now, now fishbuck... just relax... it will all be okay...

Heck, you can drive to Gonzaga Bay on a paved highway now!!! Talk about horror of horrors!!

It would be great if Porky Pig posted here to give us an update on their airstrip and any other Cielito Lindo news.

I would love to chat with that nice lady about the area.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.