Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DC3 along the BCS pacific coast
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 08:02 PM
DC3 along the BCS pacific coast

Any one remember the DC3s that would fly from Ensenada to points along the BCS coast to pick up fresh sea food to take North.

Use to bring passengers into Campo Rene as well sometimes. (Used to be couple from the US that ran fish tours there).
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 08:14 PM

I will have to ask our friend in Bahia Asuncion if the lady named Diana was flying a DC3---because that is what she was doing back in 1948 in Bahia Asuncion before there was a Bahia Asuncion.

I guess those old DC3s were something. In about 1975, John flew in one from Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido on coast of the mainland. They had two DC3s---one they flew and the other for parts.

[Edited on 3-20-2010 by DianaT]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 08:24 PM

1st time to PE was 87. loved it for 6 years in a row....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 08:26 PM

I think the last one for the coop crashed at Bahia Tortugas
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 07:23 AM

We flew into Loreto to fish withe Flying Sportsman in the late seventies. Forget the guys name but the Lodge was overbooked so we got to stay and party in his private casa. Fishing and lobster diving was unbelievable!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 07:32 AM

Flying Sportsman in the late seventies!!!!!!!!!!!!:spingrin:

now That's what i am talking about!! Ed Tabor - what an icon!!
my buddy used to fly twins for him too in the 70s.
one of his other pilots was a drunk - flying or not. Scary...:?::o

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 08:37 AM

I have a friend, now in his sixties, who flew along with his dad in the fifties and sixties in a DC-3 when he was a young kid through his teens. They were from the Fullerton and Yorba Linda area of Orange County, and his dad would guide local businessman on fishing trips, mostly to La Paz area. He has lots of old cool photos. My friend's name is Tim Ardaiz. He said he dad was doing this for many years.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Flying Sportsman in the late seventies!!!!!!!!!!!!:spingrin:

now That's what i am talking about!! Ed Tabor - what an icon!!
my buddy used to fly twins for him too in the 70s.
one of his other pilots was a drunk - flying or not. Scary...:?::o

flying sportsmen-r.JPG - 48kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 09:30 AM

DK - wow way kool thx i am sending to my buddy who flew beech 18s and piper navajos for Ed and with Johnny T too!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 10:39 AM

They are, or were, flying regularly from Ensenada to Cedros Island. I think they've upgraded their planes for sportsmen.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 10:52 AM

Rod Rodriquez flew guests on his Lodestars out of Lindberg Field (Jim's Air) in San Diego to several desitinations in Baja during the '60's. I used to service his Lockkeed Lodestar's at the Lindberg end, and restock them with goodies---------and got BIG tips from Rod. A great guy!!! Never got to fly with him, tho.

Barry
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 11:06 AM

Back in the day, my dad flew ti Isla Cedros on a DC-3.

bajajazz
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 11:25 AM

My Ex and I flew what I think was a WWII-era DC-3 into Puerto Vallarta in '65, before the town had a jet strip. We boarded in Mazatlan and had a view of the pilot's cabin while entering. The windshield and dashboard were tricked out like a Mexican taxi in the red light district, with a gold-tassled, red velour valance over the windscreen and a plastic Jesus on the dash. The pilot was praying and crossing himself, like the cliff-divers in Acapulco before making the leap. My wife and I held hands during the trip to Vallarta, tightly.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 01:14 PM

"The windshield and dashboard were tricked out like a Mexican taxi in the red light district, with a gold-tassled, red velour valance over the windscreen and a plastic Jesus on the dash. The pilot was praying and crossing himself, like the cliff-divers in Acapulco before making the leap."

hey that sounds like my bird! i do the same routine before every landing. Take-offs are easy..hahaha

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 02:29 PM

Francisco Muņoz and his Baja Air Service ran the Tijuana-Bahia de los Angeles-Mulege-Puerto Vallarta route in the late 1960's+ until the Mexican government owned Aero Mexico (Aeronaves back then) shut him down.

My dad flew with Capt. Muņoz from Bahia de L.A. to Pto. Vallarta and back to Tijuana in 1967... Muņoz even invited my dad to sit in the co-pilot's seat.

Here is Capt. Muņoz by his plane at Bahia de los Angeles (photo from Larry Hahn's http://www.BajaDreams.com )

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.