Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Johnson Ranch
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2010 at 10:18 AM

Corbina (our favorite) when we fished there...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mooboys

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 04:18 PM

Wow... this is a delight to find. I didn't know this forum existed. If the Johnson Ranch mentioned here is the same one that is close to San Antonio del Mar just off of a dirt road from Colonet, then yes, it's the same on I've been going to for over 30 years. As a matter of fact I just got back from there last weekend. I went to drop off my parents.

My name is Frank and my family (my mom and her immediate family) currently owns the Johnson Ranch. My grandfather bought it in the early 80's. It's been in my family since. I used to spend my whole summers there as a "ranch hand" because I wanted to be a cowboy as a kid.

Anyhow, something I had never seen there at the ranch was that earlier this year during the rain season... we had more water pour down than I had ever seen. So much that the land near where the Eucalyptus trees are was pretty much a lagoon for some days. It was a delight to see it with rain, especially since we had a rough drought 2 years ago where we lost quite a bit of cattle.

Well, it is a pleasure to meet this forum and i hope it continues!

-Frank
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooboys
Wow... this is a delight to find. I didn't know this forum existed. If the Johnson Ranch mentioned here is the same one that is close to San Antonio del Mar just off of a dirt road from Colonet, then yes, it's the same on I've been going to for over 30 years. As a matter of fact I just got back from there last weekend. I went to drop off my parents.

My name is Frank and my family (my mom and her immediate family) currently owns the Johnson Ranch. My grandfather bought it in the early 80's. It's been in my family since. I used to spend my whole summers there as a "ranch hand" because I wanted to be a cowboy as a kid.

Anyhow, something I had never seen there at the ranch was that earlier this year during the rain season... we had more water pour down than I had ever seen. So much that the land near where the Eucalyptus trees are was pretty much a lagoon for some days. It was a delight to see it with rain, especially since we had a rough drought 2 years ago where we lost quite a bit of cattle.

-Frank

Hi Frank and welcome to Baja Nomad!!!

It is great to have you here to share some history and travel stories.

Looking forward to more...

David

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2010 at 08:30 PM

Welcome Mooboys Frank and please write more !! Give us a sense of history from your perspective !! Did you fulfill that dream and become a cowboy ?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:48 AM

Frank, tell us what's been happening at the ranch over the past 30 years? Do you have a lot of guests? Raise cattle? Didn't famous people used to stay here and hunt? Tell us some stories.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2010 at 08:22 AM

Too bad we only got one post from Frank... Could have become real interesting!

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2010 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooboys

-Frank

Well hello Frank and welcome to the forum...

We pass Johnson's Ranch and the Johnson Ranch Road everytime we go to San Antonio Del Mar... this past May, we saw a number of newly born calves there, who were just too adorable...

Before the huge rains that washed out many bridges in Baja, we used to go down the main dirt road past the Johnson Ranch Road and go to the lagoon and take a sharp right... and cross over the ever present stream in the lagoon via a bridge we all contributed to build. That bridge was washed away during the rains... and I never knew how to get to our house via the beach.

So we now must use the Johnson Ranch Road to get to our houses on the bluffs above the ocean, just north of the lagoon.

Linda

I think last May is also when a bunch in our group went over to Johnson's Ranch for the calf branding. (I didn't go... I would have been cryin over the calves!)

Linda
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2010 at 05:26 PM

Photos of this would be great!:light:

Mooboys

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 01:33 AM

Greetings all once again. I'm sorry I hadn't written back. I'm glad to share with you that I had the luxury of spending a wonderful Thanksgiving at the Johnson's Ranch just this past Holiday. It was a double blessing for me because we (my immediate family) celebrated my parents' 50th wedding celebration. It was so beautiful. We had asked the local priest if he would reside a service for them and he gladly accepted. It was held in the little chapel as you enter the dirt road towards San Antonio del mar. It was very special because my whole family gathered there. I have 8 siblings and some live as far as Texas, but they all made the trip out for this special occasion.

My parents were very delighted to have their 8 kids and 10 grandkids present for the occasion.

Thanksgiving was on Thursday as tradition has it, but we didn't eat Turkey that day at the ranch, instead we had some of my mom's "Ranch Made" Pozole. I'd like to hope and think that all readers would know what that is and has had the luxury of having some, but just in case, it's what's also known as hominy stew.

Since their special service was going to the next day (Friday), we had our turkeys then. I will also share that as a gift, all members of the family together collated a binder of memories and photos to give to them. Not only that be we each took turns in reading some of the memories to them. Let me tell you that many of the memories included those shared and experienced there at the ranch.

I will definitely get some pictures uploaded soon enough to share with all.
Mooboys

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 01:47 AM

I am very fascinated to read the memories and History that the Johnson Ranch has had. Especially about how it would offer food and lodging. I wish that would still happen today to be quite honest with you. It sounds like it was very much alive and eventful there. I can only share the aliveness it has now with my family but I love reading so much about the past.

I'm really interested to know more about the actual Johnson's whose tombs are present still today. There was a time when the names and details of the tombs would be almost fading away but we made sure to touch them up a bit so they are still visible as when originally set on their tombstones.

I read somewhere that the Johnson's first bought the ranch for $30. I'm not sure if anybody else has any knowledge of this family but I'd ver fascinated to know any little bit.

On the tombstones, they read : John Johnson and Mary Johnson. Which if I'm not mistaken, were buried back in 1906 and 1907. Next to theirs is a second tombstone that reads "Luella Waldrip" of only 17 years of age. (1900-1917)

Obviously these are before many of our times but seeing how so much history is known about it from reading this forum, I wonder if anybody else know something about them.

On occasion (as early as this last Thanksgiving), some of us would take a walk at night to the tombs and pay a visit to them. We have also decorated them with many clam shells that we set aside from eating so many giant clams there.

We currently have a care taker looking after the ranch but when my family is there, any and all are welcome to stop by and pay a visit. If my mom happens to be there at the time, she would gladly share some of her home cooking that may include home made flour tortillas and or even some fresh cheese that has be processed from our very own cattle there. Our care taker's wife makes this delicious cheese there.

I take a big delight in sharing as much as I can with you all and I apologize for taking longer than I anticipated in posting again.

Happy Holidays to all!

-Frank
Mooboys

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by schwlind
Well hello Frank and welcome to the forum...

We pass Johnson's Ranch and the Johnson Ranch Road everytime we go to San Antonio Del Mar... this past May, we saw a number of newly born calves there, who were just too adorable...

Before the huge rains that washed out many bridges in Baja, we used to go down the main dirt road past the Johnson Ranch Road and go to the lagoon and take a sharp right... and cross over the ever present stream in the lagoon via a bridge we all contributed to build. That bridge was washed away during the rains... and I never knew how to get to our house via the beach.

So we now must use the Johnson Ranch Road to get to our houses on the bluffs above the ocean, just north of the lagoon.

Linda

I think last May is also when a bunch in our group went over to Johnson's Ranch for the calf branding. (I didn't go... I would have been cryin over the calves!)

Greetings Linda, I'm glad to hear you still go by the Ranch. I know the rains definitely washed out many of the roads and especially that bridge.

I know many shared some concern as to how they can get around now. I wish I can help in some way to help the community there at the beach get the path restored. Unfortunately we don't have the machinery easily available to restore that road and bridge. I understand Bill (neighbor of the Johnson's Ranch) has machinery but obviously his services would need to be paid for. I can't say that I am very involved in the decisions that take place at the ranch with such matters, but obviously a community exists only when we all take part in helping each other out.

We used to ourselves cut straight across our ranch to get to the beach and after the heavy storms and wash outs, we now go around to the junction and take the road to San Antonio del mar from there. On occasion, we do still cut straight across but only as we enjoy a pleasant walk while seeing the cattle and newly born calves as well.

Glad to read from you all!!!
Mooboys

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 02:11 AM

Going back to my original post, I only fulfilled the dream of being a cowboy during my summers there. I still wish that I could give up my city life and just be a ranch hand working the farm and being on my horse overlooking the cattle all day :-).

As I could I would enjoy running in full gallop my horse on the beach and I clearly remember in my mind seeing the sand kick up in the air as i would turn back as the horse would freely gallop very close to the waters edge. I did however grow up and become a Dallas Cowboys foot ball fan, hence "Mooboys" :-)

Let me tell you that although I've been going for soo many years now, on the day I'd have to start my drive back to the states, I would take a small walk and pause (many times) to look around me and capture the scene from the skies... the eucalyptus trees... the cattle and take such deep breaths as I soak it all in. Heck I even enjoy hearing the coyotes howl in the evenings.

But yes, it's hard to leave the ranch and when I'm there it seems like time just flew! But i tell you, I definitely do escape from the routine life of T.V., internet, electricity, traffic, phones and instead, breathe in nature and it's beautiful surroundings. Although I do admit, I wouldn't mind having the luxury of internet access there because if it was present at a decent speed, I would be able to work remotely more often from there than having to go in to an office in the states. :-)

I can't recall if any famous people have gone there during my time there, but I did catch a few Baja !000s and 500s there. I remember seeing Iron Man Ivan Stewart race by in his Tundra. The cattle guard would make for a pretty good jump.

I do remember though that many occasions some hunters from somewhere in Switzerland would visit and ask for permission to hunt and camp at the corral of eucalyptus trees and we were always happy to extend the welcome.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 09:45 AM

"I'm not sure if anybody else has any knowledge of this family but I'd ver fascinated to know any little bit."

I believe Dwayne Meling (www.meling.com) and scholar/writer Michael Mathis could tell you some stories about the Johnson ranch. Make inquiries and then share with us.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 10:35 AM

Frank, You are very cool.......

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 10:58 AM

sure would be interesting to know about the lives of those buried there in the 1900's ... so far from the US or maybe they were British or ???

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
sure would be interesting to know about the lives of those buried there in the 1900's ... so far from the US or maybe they were British or ???

It is a great history... Norway is the homeland to many!

Tomorrow I will post some stuff... good night for now! zzzzzz

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 08:40 AM
Where The Old West Never Died

Harry Johnson (the founder of the ranch) was born in 1844 in Denmark and came to America in 1863... then moved from New York to Texas where he went to work for a rancher... and fell in love with his daughter... In 1888, Johnson came to Ensenada and bought the land near Colonet (Colnett).

It was Harry Johnson who named the new ranch 'San Antonio del Mar'... The first adobe house and plantings of eucalyptus trees is described... he then sent for his family to join him and leave Texas for good.

There are so many great stories in this book about the Johnsons and the Melings... I highly recommend you get it!

The book has been reprinted and you can (should be able to) get a copy from one of the Meling Ranch family members, a Baja Nomad... Here is his post on the book: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19199

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by David K]

chuckmccullough
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 05:10 PM

Mooboys - I've sent you a U2U message please reply. :biggrin::biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2011 at 11:03 PM

Hi Chuck... That was a few months ago... Still good to see you here.

How about an update on things at the Meling Ranch or whatever is interesting?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 07:38 PM

Bump up Johnson Ranch post...

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.