Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Zinfandel recommendation
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-27-2010 at 06:09 PM
Zinfandel recommendation

Normally, I'm not big on recommending Baja wines but this is an exception. Went to Bibayoff winery today and sampled several 2007 selections. The Chenin Colombard is very fruity yet slightly acidic...a nice combination and priced right at $12.

But the grand prize winner is the the Zinfandel. A velvety and buttery mature tasting wine with very heavy pepper. I normally wouldn't choose a Zinfandel except as an accompaniment to a hearty meal but this is one wine that can stand on it's own. A bit pricey at $18 but...excellent.

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2010 at 06:41 PM

Where can we purchase this? Would love to try it..

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-28-2010 at 08:58 AM

Thanks Dave, good to know....I'm a big Zin Fan...I would think that would be the grape of choice in that climate. Got to get out there tasting one of these days....
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 3-28-2010 at 09:43 AM

Please tell me you are talking about the spicy full-bodied red Zins, not that white Zin koolaid garbage.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 3-28-2010 at 10:43 AM
guadalupe valley zinfandel

the owner of the restaurant mi kaza, between costero and primera in ensenada, has started growing his own wines in the guadalupe valley and has an outstanding zinfandel called nativo. check with him at the restaurant...

lili
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2010 at 10:47 AM

Hi Lili.......Long time no see. :)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2010 at 11:53 AM

Kinda interesting that Mi Kaza is not exactly the kind of place one would go for good wine. Or any wine, for that matter. They do killer breakfasts, however.
sylens
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2010 at 07:26 PM
mi kaza

still does not have a liquor license, so there is no alcohol available. not beer. not wine. not nuthin'. :P the owner plans a tasting area when the city gives him the license.:biggrin:

meanwhile, he will sell you a bottle "pa' llevar.":saint:

lili
sylens
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Hi Lili.......Long time no see. :)

hi dennis. seems we only meet at home depot;D. nice to see you're still here, though.

lili
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 08:45 AM

Speaking of zin. I went to our home winemakers club meeting last night up heres in Sonoma Co CA. The speaker was Carol Shelton and we tasted 5 of her zins. All very nice. Got some good tips for my next wines to be made in the fall. Zin is the only truly CA wine.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 09:12 AM

agree.....let he who is without Zin cast the 1st box of crummy store wine.....:biggrin:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Speaking of zin. I went to our home winemakers club meeting last night up heres in Sonoma Co CA. The speaker was Carol Shelton and we tasted 5 of her zins. All very nice. Got some good tips for my next wines to be made in the fall. Zin is the only truly CA wine.

My all-time favorite is Saucelito Canyon Zin, from the area inland of Arroyo Grande---what gives me hope about the Guadalupe Valley is it has the same climate--hot, dry days,chapparral, but cooling off at night with the sea breeze...
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 10:59 AM

Haven't tasted a Mexican zin that i like yet, so if i see it i will give it a try. My current favorite if 2007 Opolo mountain zinfandel, 17 bucks and way ahead of anything Baja makes.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
---what gives me hope about the Guadalupe Valley is it has the same climate--hot, dry days,chapparral, but cooling off at night with the sea breeze...

Arn't there a minimal amount of "Frost Days" requisite for a palatable wine, 20...21...something like that? I heard from a real expert that the Guadalupe Valley most often comes up short in the annual count.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 12:20 PM

Jesse - if you get anywhere near where it is avail..
Klinker Brick Zin, Sonoma. or Lodi maybe.
$17 each .
made me see the Central Scrutinizer....:light:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
---what gives me hope about the Guadalupe Valley is it has the same climate--hot, dry days,chapparral, but cooling off at night with the sea breeze...

Arn't there a minimal amount of "Frost Days" requisite for a palatable wine, 20...21...something like that? I heard from a real expert that the Guadalupe Valley most often comes up short in the annual count.

That's surprising---those interior valleys tend to really cool off in the winter (a similar locale in SoCal would be the Capistrano Valley and Coto de Caza area which gets lots of frosty nights) but didn't know that about Guadalupe.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 02:39 PM

Quote:

Don Jorge...I hear you get some good 'Frost Days' now and then up your way? Maybe a good zin from around the old farmstead. I have the name ready: Chateau Last Tuesday Nodak

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 02:42 PM

Guadalupe is capable of producing world class reds IF many things go right, that includes weather, terroir, and the ability of the wine maker. But in my experience, that doesn't happen very often. Guadalupe Vallley wines are decent wines, but too expensive for the level of quality they offer. I have pretty much given up on them for now, they simply cannot compete in quality and price against whats coming out from Spain, Argentina, or Chile, specially now that we are in a buyers market in the wine industry. I can get a outrageous bottle of Rioja for 20 bucks that will blow away anything currently coming from Mexico.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 03:13 PM

I love rioja! What do you recommend?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 04:50 PM

Bodegas reserva
Marques de Murrieta
Muga

I am also growing very fond of the Toro region, awesome wines.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.