Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Zinfandel recommendation
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 10:36 PM

Of the "affordable" Zins (supply your own definition, mine is under 30 bucks), I'm partial to the ones from Ridge, Sapphire Hill and Seghesio. All from California.

I'm headed to my bottle shop in HMO next week: I'll look for this one, Dave.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 06:22 AM

Ridge....yeah, always, but which Ridge? Lytton Springs, Paso, etc.?

Anything that has grapes from the Duzy vineyard in Paso is probably going to be top notch. Out here in Tejas we're getting a Boeger Winery Zinfandel at Cost-Plus for $10 which is pretty decent. At this point in time its possible to get an excellent wine on the cheap but you have to do lots of research and I intend to do lots of research this weekend! ;)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 06:30 AM

Usually partial to Lytton Springs.

It's been a while since I had Boeger, but they were always a good value Zin.

Other inexpensive "wineries" to look for in this varietal; Ravenswood and Rosenblum, although they have expensive bottlings, too.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 07:35 AM

Mexitron -
have you been to the wineries at Del Rio in TX?
i liked them when i was there but it was a long time ago.
they also had a brandy infused tawny port which was velvety with substantial octane...yummm

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Bodegas reserva
Marques de Murrieta
Muga

I am also growing very fond of the Toro region, awesome wines.

Thanks Jesse

I wrote them down and will look for them at the local Bottle Barn
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Mexitron -
have you been to the wineries at Del Rio in TX?
i liked them when i was there but it was a long time ago.
they also had a brandy infused tawny port which was velvety with substantial octane...yummm

To be honest I've done pitifully little tasting out here...the few that I have tasted were overpriced and generally substandard. That said, I think the burgeoning Tejano wine industry has learned a valuable lesson--that is, they tried to grow the usual varietals (Cabs, Merlot,etc.) when the industry started taking off a couple decades ago. However the Texas climate is not kind to those varietals that are used to a Mediterranean climate. The summers here are tropical, brutally hot, with the temp not dipping below 80 degrees, even at night, for about four straight months. So, now they are experimenting with more heat tolerant grapes---some of the Spanish varietals for instance. And, they're experimenting with grafting some of these varietals onto native Texas grape rootstocks which of course love the heat. So stay tuned, they're likely going to get better.

That it was a Port you tasted in Del Rio makes sense--the Port is great with a lot of heat to produce high sugar content.

Interesting factoid: it was a Texas botanist who was experimenting with native Texas grape varieties that saved the French wine industry around the turn of the century (?)---the French vines were being wiped out by Phylloxera and this guy found some Texas vines that were resistant to its effects and grafted the French wines onto them...voila!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.