Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: here we go again!!! another stolen 210
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

sad.gif posted on 3-30-2010 at 12:17 PM
here we go again!!! another stolen 210

from BBP member at Chivato..

"At 5:10 am our T210 was stolen not 100 yards from where we were sleeping in our Punta Chivato casa! They did a short field takeoff from the taxiway, heading west. No time for a warmup or runup. It had a disconnect on the battery which they somehow hotwired and made connection, but no other locking devices. It is shiny white with red and black stripes. Tail ID is N2611S. If you see this plane, notify homeland security."

Russ - any thing you can add?
this sucks....:barf:

[Edited on 3-30-2010 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 12:40 PM

What happened to the military that used to be located there?

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 12:42 PM

never has been any based at Chivato in my 30 years going there.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:14 PM

:no::no::no:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
What happened to the military that used to be located there?

Jesse..you may be thinking of the other airstrip a little further north. Between Chivato and Sta. Rosalia.

Bad news. :fire:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:26 PM

capt. mike, The quote you gave is pretty much what is known at this time. I would have heard the take off and been startled because it was dark but I was in the shower. And when I got the radio turned on the excitement was mostly over. I did hear some of the owners friends and neighbors had called government agencies on both sides of the boarder and believed both sides were tracking the plane. The owners have been trying to work with the local (Mulege) authorities and have been a bit frustrated in that endeavor. They are also required to visit the authorities in Loreto tomorrow. Mike, You'll probably get better info from BBP than me. FYI For a few years there was a small deployment of military here camped on the hill above where the planes parked. Not always there as they'd go out on maneuvers often. The owner of the land they were camped on kicked them off the little area they camped on.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:34 PM

Back in the days I lived in the Casa Grande at Chivato, we often had military camping near the airfields.

Back then, there were TWO usable airstrips..pistas.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:47 PM

And....last year the military was staying at Casa Grande a lot.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:49 PM

Well, Russ ..sounds like they should be invited back..very soon.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 01:51 PM

YES !!:light:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 02:03 PM
A WELCOME BUNCH

I can't say that it will prevent any further airplane thefts..and is certainly not much consolation for the loss of this latest 210, but we invited these marines to stay/camp at our place a few years ago. Fed them, use of toilets and showers, etc. Never had any problems since.

Of course, we never had any problems before either...;)

..but it can't hurt to have them around.

Cheyenne got all kinds of new buds to play with, too.

KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 02:17 PM

No military?
Is not it time to close that strip?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 02:54 PM
chivato pista

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
No military?
Is not it time to close that strip?

one has nada to do with the other.
myself, i would rather a strip remain open even without a garrison of gun toting youth, or youts.:lol:
too many strips get closed. the residents of chivato who pay the license each year should get the option. if i had a nice shack there and all of a sudden i lost the ability to fly in... oh boy....the humanity...:no::no::no:
the thing is - who in their right mind takes a 205, 206, 207 or 210 to baja dirt runways anymore?? they are targets and this clearly was an inside job. someone is getting paid to provide intel.
i hope they had good insurance. and as far as anyone "tracking them"?? that is a riot.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 10:14 PM

Really sorry to hear it has happened again. :fire::fire:

Guess there is no where in Baja that is a safe place to park one of those planes.

I know nothing about airplanes so I ask, is there a reason they do not steal other types of planes?

Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 06:51 AM

Cessna, high wing planes are the first choice apparently. Most training is done in Cessna aircraft so most pilots know how to fly them. High wings make them easier to land on narrow roads with bushes on the sides.

"the thing is - who in their right mind takes a 205, 206, 207 or 210 to baja dirt runways anymore?? they are targets and this clearly was an inside job. someone is getting paid to provide intel.
i hope they had good insurance. and as far as anyone "tracking them"?? that is a riot. "

I respectfuly disagree with Capt. Mike, I would not let the potential for theft determine which type of plane I will fly. Paved strips are NOT immune from theft either. Except for theft at gunpoint, one must disable the plane and locks are a waste of time for this type of theft.

Since the common opinion is that these thefts are drug related, one would think that radar surveilance/tracking would be possible with the millions that are being spent on the fight.

This is a sad situation but before you write off all 200 series flying in Baja just read about the teenager in the San Juan Islands that continues to steal planes AND the authorities even know who he is and can't catch him!!!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 07:29 AM

my input is based on empirical data from BBP since this thievery started in earnest about 7-8 years ago as far as baja and Sonora regions.

1. i have seen 5 210s stolen, 4 at dirt, 1 at paved public (with security and tower) from people i KNOW personally.

2. it started with 206s mainly - but they decided the load capability and speed of a 210 was also an advantage. they will target EITHER one mostly.

3. no one has taken a twin in the recent history.

4. they are not taking any low wing fixed or retractables. lack of load capacity or speed. That's good.....if they understood the capability of a comanche as to load AND speed....that would be all she wrote....and i'd have to quit taking mine!:o

my amigo going with me next weekend has one of THE nicest turbo 210s in the USA - it is so well equipped that the insurance cannot write the necessary coverage for it and capped it far less than it is worth.

if you fly often enough in Mexico you soon learn why they force you to fly airways on IFR and also mandate old style position reporting - because of their limited and non existent radar coverage!
ain't gonna be no stinking tracking of these cowboys...

my advice - unless you have a secure hangar someplace with a pit bull inside sleeping....do not take your 200 series into baja or Sonora.
only exception is if you CAN get exrea hull coverage and want to cash in on this soft market, then....as my buddy says...fly it in, let everyone in town know you've arrived....and leave it unlocked with the key in it..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 08:08 AM

I guess that is why there is horse racing, different political parties, different colors, etc. What ever floats your boat.

Opinions are like (deleted), everyone has one!!:lol:
Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 08:23 AM

So, who stole this plane, and for what reason? Thoughts anyone?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 08:45 AM

"Since the common opinion is that these thefts are drug related, one would think that radar surveilance/tracking would be possible with the millions that are being spent on the fight. "

the $0,000,000 are being spent by USA DEA et al...not the Mexicans so much on a pro rata share.
the USA will draw the line at paying for infrastucture improvements to Mexico's air space systems.
so - ARTCC needs like radar where it is presently spotty will go on as is - lacking.
besides, even with the best in ARTCC radar you fall off below certain altitudes so they lose you anyway if you chose to run scud or treetops or dice with granite.

desperate men willing to take big chances for what are likely nice $$ rewards to deliver some wings.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 08:52 AM
Tess -

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueheart
So, who stole this plane, and for what reason? Thoughts anyone?

last i heard it was the Bower gang from over south of Box Canyon.
they planned to fly it over to Grover, land on the street and rob the bank.
we need to call the sheriff and alert Sky King to get the Songbird gassed and ready.

they can't have gotten far.

i am on the short wave now with Penny and Spud. :lol::lol::lol:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.