BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TITANIC Movie Props, JRbaja & Popotla???
jp2009

puzzled.gif posted on 4-1-2010 at 02:40 AM
TITANIC Movie Props, JRbaja & Popotla???

Hello everyone...

I'm new here and was wondering if someone here might be able to help me out with the below request?

I've been trying to get in contact with anyone in the Baja area or even outside who has props from the movie TITANIC, as everyone knows it was filmed there in 1997 by James Cameron.

Anyway, I'm looking for some specific items and also interested in seeing what people have, what survived from the movie, I know alot was kept by Fox, however some stuff was sold off by them through the J.Peterman Company back in 1998 and also alot of stuff was dumped I believe at Popotla...

I was given a name of a guy called "JR" his username on such forums was "jrbaja" who lived in a small trailer park between Rosarito and Popotla at the coast with his wife/partner "Carol"... he worked on the movie and I believe he salvaged some stuff from the dumpsite, however sadly "JR" passed away a few years back but did post on a site that he was selling his props and I was wondering if anyone here knew him, knows his wife/partner or knows did the stuff actually sell, if so who bought it? or maybe "Carol" in La Barca still has some of this stuff?

Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated...

I'm also interested in anyone who might have bought any props from the 1998 Catalogue of the J.Peterman Company.

Please help
Many Thanks
J

Feel free to reply and I will contact you or PM me and I will provide my email address.
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 06:23 AM

There really is a "J. Peterman"? I thought he was a figment of Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld's imagination.
jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 06:26 AM

LOL Yes there is and I'm not him incase there is any confusion, apparently his company sold a few years back and is now under new ownership...

Any help in regards to the props will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 06:31 AM

someone here will know what happened to jr's stuff...
you will "cross" their path soon

j peterman
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens

jp.jpg - 12kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 06:35 AM

Hello Bob & Susan

Thanks for the reply... I was actually in touch with J Peterman but they said they no longer have any dealings with the Titanic props etc and that they haven't had since 1998/1999?

J

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 07:45 AM

Contact Von. He's a Nomad and you can get his info off the members list. I think his family owns La Barca.
------------------

Von (Send U2U) (Add to Address Book)
Senior Nomad

Last active: 12-30-2009 at 11:48 AM

[Edited on 4-1-2010 by DENNIS]
jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 07:49 AM

Thanks Dennis

P.s. I hope I don't offend anyone by asking about these... If anyone is please accept my apologies, it is not my intention!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 07:55 AM

No offense at all. Good luck in your quest.

http://xpoit.com/eng-items/movie-props/original-props/64-tit...
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 08:01 AM

Just a sidenote, a Baja Nomad member was in the movie and can be seen on a couple different parts, his favorite may have been playing the clumsy drunk in the stairway... His flaming red hair helps to spot him in the final scene, as well. He is 'Graham' here on Nomad... author of four great Baja books, Graham Mackintosh http://grahammackintosh.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 08:05 AM

Thanks, I sent him an email... always loved that shot of the drunk, always thought he was Irish too (I know shouldn't stereotype) but I'm Irish and he just looks the part! Great!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 08:20 AM

He is a mixed Brit, for sure!

Here's a photo of him with a friend at L.A. Cetto winery in Tijuana on our Viva Baja Cactus tour, Nov. 2006:

and at the Tijuana Brewery Tavern with rogerj1 and Baja Angel:

A super nice amigo...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 08:38 AM

I remember the San Diego news back then showing all the props from the movie in a landfill. At the time it had no value and no one thought it would be a blockbuster hit. Once the movie took off- they tried to get all the artifacts back they could find- in order to to the Titanic museum thing at the Fox Baja studios. Don't think there's too much memorabilia left out there that is authentic and hasn't been found or taken and sold by gringos on e-bay.

Don't be scammed by that cheap "Master and Commander" artifact stuff ....

::spingrin::spingrin:

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 08:47 AM

Hi there Woooosh

I've heard alot about that story also... apparently it was dumped on some guys land, a farmer I think who tried to get it cleaned up by either the studio or company that disposed of it... no luck, so he got the news involved and actually invited people to come take the stuff... Apparently the folks who were involved in the movie (the locals) were first on the scene and some people got quite a lot... I heard then when the movie became a blockbuster, the studio wanted the stuff back, and A LOT was put on ebay by people... even heard there was a court case against one guy but they lost out, something to do with a finders keepers type law...

Anyway, I also heard some locals in and around Baja kept quite a bit, and some even used material to "do up" some of their homes/businesses.. but this could be all exaggerated... I'm sure there are still a few people out there with quite a bit. I did come across and online scan of a newspaper showing the site afterwards and some of the stuff recovered... but I also heard the owner of the land pushed the stuff up and over and embankment and alot of stuff probably got buried, there's apparently a housing development now built on the site were the stuff is/was...

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jp2009
Hi there Woooosh

I've heard alot about that story also... apparently it was dumped on some guys land, a farmer I think who tried to get it cleaned up by either the studio or company that disposed of it... no luck, so he got the news involved and actually invited people to come take the stuff... Apparently the folks who were involved in the movie (the locals) were first on the scene and some people got quite a lot... I heard then when the movie became a blockbuster, the studio wanted the stuff back, and A LOT was put on ebay by people... even heard there was a court case against one guy but they lost out, something to do with a finders keepers type law...

Anyway, I also heard some locals in and around Baja kept quite a bit, and some even used material to "do up" some of their homes/businesses.. but this could be all exaggerated... I'm sure there are still a few people out there with quite a bit. I did come across and online scan of a newspaper showing the site afterwards and some of the stuff recovered... but I also heard the owner of the land pushed the stuff up and over and embankment and alot of stuff probably got buried, there's apparently a housing development now built on the site were the stuff is/was...

Yup- that's what happened. You are likely correct that people have incorporated artifacts into their "home decor". A lot of local hotels like "Calafia" still have small exhibits of Titanic pieces too. Talk to the night watchman.

I'm sure if there is money involved- You'll find people who will happily scour the swap meets for this stuff...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 09:37 AM

Ha ha, I'm sure I'd be getting into trouble paying the night watchman for something... thanks for the tip!

p.s. I don't collect Master and Commander, but what's the scam there?
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Ha ha, I'm sure I'd be getting into trouble paying the night watchman for something... thanks for the tip!

p.s. I don't collect Master and Commander, but what's the scam there?

Trouble? Nah. Tell him to unlock the cases so you can inspect the items for research and give him $100 to go get you a taco.

There's no Masters and Commanders scam unless you can't tell tell those nautical artifacts from Titanics.

jp2009

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 09:55 AM

I see, some maybe passed as Titanic props then... thanks for that!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 11:55 AM

JP....Check your U2U, upper right.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Trouble? Nah. Tell him to unlock the cases so you can inspect the items for research and give him $100 to go get you a taco.

That, I'm sure, would be 100 Pesos.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone...

I'm new here and was wondering if someone here might be able to help me out with the below request?

I've been trying to get in contact with anyone in the Baja area or even outside who has props from the movie TITANIC, as everyone knows it was filmed there in 1997 by James Cameron.
Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated...

I'm also interested in anyone who might have bought any props from the 1998 Catalogue of the J.Peterman Company.

from the looks of your sig in one of your posts, xpoit, it seems you are a memorabilia dealer scavenging for stuff to resell to fans.

make me an offer for info on source of mother load. what's the cut?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.