Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:

At 2:43pm (~3 minutes after)

Arizona time!

Bob Durrell
PitBabe

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 09:26 AM

We are heading down to San Felipe tomorrow & would like to bring donations to relief center in Colonia de la Puerta. From my map, it appears to be where Mex. 5 meets BC10 - anyone have any further info. on location of relief center, items needed, etc?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 09:30 AM
A Golden Opportunity for the U.S. to Help Out

It didn't work for Haiti, but NOW We could unload those FEMA Trailers.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 10:29 AM
PHOTOS FROM DON JULIO

Hwy. 5 and Hwy. 2/ 2-D damage shown:

Thanks DonJulio for these!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 12:38 PM

Wow, those photos tell the story.... unreal.
Bob H
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 07:44 PM

Those were sent to me from someone else. I just passed them on.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 4-6-2010 at 07:58 PM

Great photos!!

bacquito
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 12:35 PM

The USGS website now says A 6.6 earthquake occurred ~30 seconds after the 7.2 farther north and west of the 7.2's epicenter. This is a very recent revelation. Could explain why the shaking lasted so long.
EDIT: Appears they changed their minds again, and are no longer showing the 6.6, or it was a mistake.

I find it very interesting just how many fore and aftershocks have occurred, in the order of 1500. From 1.1s to 5.5.

I think it's funny how some local news stations bring on their experts who say this quake put more stress on the San Andreas Fault and "Freak out people!" Go spend money.

And other experts say it relieved stress on the SA. But still, go spend money.

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by landyacht318]

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by landyacht318]
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 12:54 PM

I like seeing pics of where nomads were and what they were doing at the same moment in time. Thanks-

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 01:20 PM

http://mystateline.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=151585:?::?:
depak chopra cause of earthquake?!!?

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by grmpb]
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 04:30 PM

Sounds like he's more "tweaked" than tweeted!!:lol:

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 05:43 PM

Great pics!
Well I have a story. We checked into the San Diego Marriott w/ 2 granddaughters Easter about 3PM. I requested a high floor room for a better view of the bay. So on our way up to the 24 floor I said something like "I hope we don`t have an earthquake." So about 40 minutes later the shaking starts. At first we think it`s the elevator. I ask my wife if we are having an earthquake when all heck breaks loose. We yell out to our grand kids "We`re having an earthquake and they come near us. The building is really moving now and I think of Haiti and think there is no way out so just go to the balcony and watch. Walking was like walking on a fishing boat in fairly rough seas. You had to grab something to walk. I went to the balcony and looked down. The people in the pool were calm and no one was running or yelling. I didn`t hear any screams but our maid said she did. We were in the North tower, so I watched the South tower sway back and forth, with the bay bridge behind the tower for reference. Must have been moving 5 feet back and forth. These towers and on rollers to absorb earthquake shock, so the back and forth lasted several minutes. Once we realized the building wasn`t going down, we enjoyed the ride.
The manager came on the intercom and announced there would be no mandatory evacuation and security would be checking the building. later we saw broken tile in 2 cracks across the floor, and heard one hotel was evacuated. So that is the report from the 24 floor!!! Oh yeah, the view was great from up there!!
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 11:42 PM
Quake aftermath: 25,000 in need of shelter

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/06/temporary-she...

By Sandra Dibble
April 7, 2010

MEXICALI — As residents tugged and swarmed around him Tuesday, Baja California Governor José Guadalupe Osuna Millán toured Mexicali Valley communities devastated by Sunday’s 7.2.-magnitude earthquake, surveying a scene of muddy streets, damaged houses, downed electric lines and profound cracks in the ground.

“You can no longer sleep here, you are at risk” the governor told a group of several hundred anxious families gathered on the bleachers of a soccer field in Ejido Oaxaca, one of several near the epicenter of the quake that suffered the greatest damage.

Mexico’s federal interior ministry estimated 35,000 people in the rural areas have been affected by the lack of drinking water. Gov. Osuna said Tuesday that as many as 25,000 people—about 5,200 families—will need to be permanently resettled, and authorities have begun searching for land where they can start anew.

Alfredo Escobedo, Baja Califonia's civil protection chief, said late Tuesday that the number may be lower, but the final number won't be known until inspectors can visit each house to determine the structural soundness. In the meantime, the government has been channeling those with nowhere to go to temporary shelters, with hot meals provided by the Mexican army.

The residents of Ejido Oaxaca, located south of the Cerro Prieto geothermal fields, spoke of volcanoes of water that erupted on their streets and inside their homes. The area is one of intense seismic activity, but most of the quakes have been small, and no one expected one of such magnitude. As the earth shook Sunday, the water gushed through cracks in geysers of warm, rust-colored water.

“We cannot continue here any longer,” said Victor Manuel Valenzuela, 32, standing in front of his parents’ wood and concrete house where the foundation had sunk.

The Mexicali Valley is the state’s main agricultural region and crops are fed by a network of irrigation canals that carry water from the Colorado River. Two of the main canals in the southern part of the valley — Reforma and Nueva Delta — have been damaged, putting at risk nearly 150,000 acres of crops at the valley’s southern end, about half of those in winter wheat.

Antonio Rodriguez, Baja California’s agriculture secretary, said the wheat crop is of foremost concern, but it still can be saved if the water returns within the next 10 days. If not, the yields will drop significantly.

More than 90 miles of rural roads were damaged as a result of the quake, as well as about 14 miles of two federal roads that connecting Mexicali with Tecate and San Felipe on the Gulf of California.

During a news conference at the Mexicali’s civil protection headquarters near the downtown section of the city, Gov. Osuna acknowledged offers of assistance from President Barack Obama and Carlos Pascual, U.S. ambassador to Mexico, well as Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Neighboring Mexican states are also offering assistance.

Osuna said the immediate need is for bottled water, diapers, tarps, tents, and canned food.

Traffic problems in Mexicali eased Tuesday with the reopening of the Calexico West port of entry, which had been closed since the quake to allow for a damage assessment.

-----------------------------

HOW TO HELP

The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army have been providing assistance to quake victims. Here is where monetary donations to support that work can be made:

American Red Cross San Diego/Imperial Counties Chapters Disaster Fund at:
http://www.sdarc.org

Or, by mailing a check or money order to:
American Red Cross
3950 Calle Fortunada
San Diego, CA 92123

Baja/Imperial Earthquake fund at:
Salvation Army
P.O. Box 503580
San Diego, CA 92150-3580

People also may call (866) 455-4357 or donate online at:
http://www.sandiego.salvationarmy.org

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 11:45 PM
Baja California's 7.2 quake prompts an exodus

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mexicali-quake7-2010...

By Tony Perry
April 7, 2010

Mexicali - The U.S.-Mexico border reopened Tuesday to northbound vehicle traffic, but Calexico's historic downtown district remained closed as inspectors checked for structural damage to buildings in the wake of the magnitude 7.2 earthquake just south of here Easter Sunday.

The border crossing had been closed to northbound traffic as officials checked for damage to the federal building, but pedestrians continued to cross through the checkpoint from Mexicali as they fled the aftershocks rocking northern Baja California.

Another entry point east of Calexico reserved for commercial traffic remained open but with huge backups.

Many people were headed to the Greyhound bus station, and taxis swarmed the area in the hopes of picking up passengers bound for points north and west.

Mexicali resident Hilda Gonzales waited at the Calexico bus station with her three children.

"I won't feel safe until I can get to my sister's house in Los Angeles," Gonzales said. "Maybe I will never come back to Mexicali."

The Salvation Army set up a storefront at the border in Calexico and handed out cookies, water and coffee to entering visitors.

The U.S. Border Patrol resumed its regular routine, but the Calexico Police Department remained on extra deployment downtown as yellow police tape kept people away from red-tagged buildings.

There were no signs of looting or problems associated with the refugees from Mexicali, said Lt. J.J. Serrano.

"Everyone seems to be on their best manners," he said. "They know everybody is stressed out by this."

Looking around at the quiet, abandoned buildings, he said: "It looks like a movie set, doesn't it? Maybe they'll do a movie about Calexico."

The future of the historic De Anza Hotel remains in doubt because of damage sustained in the quake.

Built in 1931, the three-story hotel once was a favorite spot for Southern California business barons and the Hollywood set when they visited the desert and Baja California.

In recent years, the hotel has had financial problems and a series of owners. It is now being operated as a living space for low-income elderly people.

About 110 residents were evacuated Sunday night when cracks appeared in the hotel ceiling, plaster fell to the floor and the statuary outside fell off pedestals.

The city of Calexico's development director, Armando Villa, said that although the hotel is grandfathered in as an unreinforced masonry structure exempt from certain building codes, there are limits.

"What concerns us now is we're seeing a lot of stress marks that may or may not have to do with the structural integrity of the building," he said.

Meanwhile, there have been more than 500 aftershocks since Sunday's earthquake, and experts said residents in the region can expect many more.

Most of the aftershocks have been minor -- magnitude 3 or less. But there have been six aftershocks that registered more than magnitude 5.0, and dozens in the 4 range, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The death toll from the quake remained at two; more than 230 people were injured.

The quake, centered about 30 miles south of the border, caused 45 buildings in Baja California to collapse or partly collapse, authorities said.

Businesses in downtown Mexicali were starting to reopen Tuesday as power was restored to about 90% of the city for the first time since Sunday. Overall, the city of 1 million-plus appeared to be slowly returning to normal.

"Mexicali's been through a lot," said Eloisa Ramirez, 37, who was shopping downtown. "We'll get through this."

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 09:55 AM

Just got a good jolt (after shock) here in town! Biggest one I felt since the big one on Sunday.

Thursday 9:48 a.m.

On the news just heard 5.5 in Mexicali-------

[Edited on 10/14/2009 by lizard lips]
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 10:28 AM

Just downgraded to 5.3 on that one, but a jolt it was.......

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:26 PM

Just had a 5.1 again!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 4-9-2010 by noproblemo2]

josie
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 06:16 PM

We felt the quake as well as many of the aftershocks in and around Erendira. I had a few cups fall off a shelf in my kitchen and on Monday I discovered a long crack across my garage floor. Many of my neighbors all ran outside and were afraid to go back in for the longest time. I really hope that when I go back next month there won't be any more damage!

rude people and dog haters suck
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 08:33 PM
Trail of ruin: Quake victims' shattered lives

By Sandra Dibble
April 10, 2010

EJIDO DURANGO, Mexico — By day, Dolores Echeverria returns to the spacious sky-blue house where she lived with her daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter until Sunday’s 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck. Yesterday afternoon, she stepped through her mud-covered yard in Ejido Durango, past the craters where geysers had surged from the ground, and entered her darkened bedroom, its walls now covered with cracks.

“We carry out a few things, and we run out,” said Echeverria, 66, one of thousands of residents of the Mexicali Valley wondering where to go from here.

Striking 30 miles south of the U.S. border, the quake left a trail of ruined houses, broken roads, destroyed crops and interrupted lives.

Suffering the greatest damage are the small communities at the southern end of the Mexicali Valley, Baja California’s main agricultural region, where the state’s governor estimated as many as 25,000 people have lost their homes.

North of the border, the quake’s ripples reached deep into Imperial County, where authorities estimate damages at close to $70 million.

In El Centro, more than 40 miles from Echeverria’s house, another family has been struggling with loss.

“I had all my memories in there. I want to go back, I want to go back,” said Elizabeth Lopez, 18, a high school senior and mother of a 1-year-old, yearning for the mobile home where she lived with her family of 10. Theirs was one of dozens of mobile homes shaken off their foundations Sunday. It could take $10,000 and as long as four months to repair the damage.

For now, they are staying in a Red Cross shelter, the Ryerson Hall recreation center at the Desert Trails RV Park and Golf Course. The family was celebrating Easter in San Felipe when the earthquake struck. With several miles of highway badly damaged, they had to wait a day before facing the damage at home.

In San Diego County, about 120 miles to the west, the quake caused little damage. But those living close to the epicenter are still reeling.

“We see different people in different places going through tragedies, and we never imagine it’s going to be us,” said Vanessa Lopez, 22, Elizabeth’s sister-in-law, cradling her 4-year-old daughter, Jenessa. “And when it is us, it’s very, very hard to stand tall, and be able to ask for help. But with children, you cannot sleep in cars.”

At Sixth and Main streets in El Centro’s old downtown, it would be hard to tell anything had happened to Brooks Jewelry and Gifts. The picture frames are back on display, the shattered glass and ceramic has been swept up. But owner Larry Bratten estimated that the quake cost him at least $10,000 in broken merchandise. He counts his blessings that the 93-year-old building suffered no structural damage.

“Everybody’s like a deer in headlights when it happens,” said Bratten, 64, an Imperial Valley native. “What hurts most is that it couldn’t have come at a worse time — the economy’s bad, the unemployment’s bad,” he said. But with needed repairs and reconstruction, he said, “On the bright side, look at how many people are going back to work.”

Farther south, more than 300 businesses remained closed yesterday in Calexico’s historic downtown shopping district because of earthquake damage. The shoe stores, groceries and clothing shops are normally bustling with customers from Mexicali.

Some businesses had been scheduled to open yesterday, but an aftershock caused further damage, and it won’t be until at least Wednesday that owners will be allowed to enter their shops, and only with structural engineers, City Manager Victor Carrillo said. He estimated that the city of 38,000 suffered close to $28 million in damage.

South of the border, some families gathered yesterday at government-operated shelters. Others pitched tents by the side of the road, or outside their houses, hoping to ward off thieves and vandals. The geysers of water and broken irrigation canals have also wreaked havoc on agriculture in this part of the valley.

In Colonia Carranza, farmer Jorge Zazueta said about 45,000 acres in two of the southernmost irrigation districts are most affected. Zazueta fears losing his 750 acres of wheat, alfalfa and cotton. Though government engineers have begun repairs, he said they won’t come soon enough to save his crops.

“All the canals and drains are broken. The parcels have changed their slope and can’t be irrigated,” he said, even if there were water.

Nearby, in Ejido Durango, Margarita Reyes sat in a park where a group of Apostolic Christians were offering help. The diminutive Oaxaca native cannot return to the small, borrowed house a few blocks away where she had lived with her son, who is a farm laborer, and her grandson.

The walls are profoundly cracked, and part of the ceiling has fallen. The state government is planning to resettle large numbers of residents — the exact number is being determined — to safer ground, where they will be given a plot of land and materials to start a house.

“What I worry about is leaving him a place,” Reyes said of her 12-year-old grandson, Juan Antonio. “If God comes and gets me, where would I leave him? We don’t know where we’ll end up, and we don’t have anything.”

For now she is sleeping on a donated mattress, set on a concrete floor, wondering when the ground will tremble again.

-----------------

Photo by John Gibbins: The Ejido Durango home of Dolores Echeverria is uninhabitable after the quake. Margarita Reyes lost her home in the quake.

decheverria-gibbins-photo.jpg - 31kB

irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 11:48 PM

The Mexican news does not show very much of this.
the haiti quake was a 7.3 mexico 7.2 maybe a little more coverage
i know it is alot the .1 but still many people in need both sides of the border. why are they not talking about this.
A Group of Missionarys from Vicente Guerrero flew to Haiti the day before the Mexicali quake to help the people.
Maybe we can get a few of Missionary from haiti to come and help in Mexicali.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.