Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  11
Author: Subject: 7.2 earthquake
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:01 PM

just on CNN,,, all communications are down in nothern baja,,or should say in and around Mexicali,, no cell phones,, TV or Radio,, so its going to be awhile before we really know what really is going on
guess I should say also,, no phones land lines

[Edited on 4-5-2010 by desertcpl]
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:12 PM

Gotta be some real damage in Mexicali to San Felipe area. Too many poorly reinforced buildings.

I would say fortunately this quake was deep (32km per early reports) so full blown surface rupture is unlikely, as is the vertical motion experienced near epicenter in Northridge quake. But it doesn't take much shaking for cheezy concrete block w/insufficient rebar to crack & start falling apart. Let's hope for no outright collapse problems, but close to the epicenter that is unfortunately quite likely.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:19 PM

6:15 Ch. 4 said Hwy. 5 closed near site.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:31 PM

Just talked to friends in Mexicali who said they were in a restaurant having dinner when it hit and the quake blew out all the windows.

After the quake here in Ensenada all of my neighbors came outside to the street and I finally met them.

Just felt another after shock.........
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:45 PM

Aftershock 4.3

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:46 PM
Earthquake damage pics on Twitter

http://twitpic.com/1das3m

http://twitpic.com/1daf6n

http://tweetphoto.com/17203656

http://tweetphoto.com/17203809

No soy por ni contra apatía.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 06:57 PM
Mexicali

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:07 PM

WOW thats alot of damage,, its going to be awhile before we know the extent of what happened
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:11 PM

television news is reporting that the mexicali border crossing is closed.

on edit: the cbp wait time website does not say it is closed.
fyi: san ysidro is only a 20 minute wait at 6pm today.

[Edited on 4-5-2010 by fandango]

sbwontoo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:14 PM

Baja Angel and I were at the San Pasqual/ San Diego Wild Animal Park in line waiting for the tram tour ride... When we were on the tram, the driver mentioned how the animals might be re-acting to the earthquake... We never felt it, nor did anyone else in line comment... we are bummed!

Our kids texed us that they all felt it, it was long... my son Chris was in a game store downtown and called me to say stuff was falling from shelves and it lasted about 45 seconds.

The radio (Kogo) driving home reported from people who just crossed the border at Calexico saw light poles moving and there was a report to damage on Hwy. 5 to San Felipe... and local TV news at 6:30 showed broken glass at the San Diego Sports Arena... etc.

We hope all of you are safe and secure, in Baja or where-ever!

[Edited on 4-5-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:21 PM

We're still feeling aftershocks, time 7:20 in Baja Norte

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:21 PM
Road Closures

http://sdpnoticias.com/sdp/contenido/estados/2010/04/04/1003...

This post says the road between Mexicali-Tijuana is closed due to road failures and Mexicali-Ensenada is closed due to landslides. It also says one person reported dead.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:25 PM

Speculation by Caltech it may be on a fault called
Laguna salada, sounds about the right location.
Saw pics of cracked asphalt in Mexicalli.
The San Felipe message board, El Dorado,
doesn't currently mention any damage in
San Felipe
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips

After the quake here in Ensenada all of my neighbors came outside to the street and I finally met them.

It's a funny thing, living in a Mexican neighborhood....you can be there for a hundred years and never get to know your next door neighbor. They take privacy seriously.
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 08:39 PM

I'm out here about 8 mi. north of Tecate in San Diego back country and we could hear the quake coming through the ground and rocks as it moved through. Sounded like a freight train rumbling past. My wife went through the San Fernando quake in 1971 near the epicenter in Newhall (now Valencia) north of Los Angeles. Couldn't stay standing up for 20-30 seconds. Both about 7.2 mag.
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 08:43 PM

Also heard El Centro was w/o power today. They are supplied by Imperial Irr. District (IID). Possibly the 500kV line may have tripped along with generation in El Centro and Mexicali. Can take some time to restart generation after inspections are made of turbine-generators for any rotor damage.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 08:54 PM

The Imperial Valley Press on line is reporting that most of the power has been restored in El Centro.

It is also reporting that Westbound Interstate 8 was damaged and a portion is closed with traffic being detoured.

Imperial Valley Press Update

Still waiting to hear from some Calexico friends. After seeing that picture of the house in Mexicali, we are concerned.

BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 09:14 PM

Any more updates or reports from San Felipe please?

Thank you
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 09:20 PM

Felt it pretty good in Palm Desert. There was about 10-15 seconds of shaking followed by a minute or more of rolling. It felt like being in a boat on a gentle sea. Didn't feel any of the aftershocks, though.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2010 at 09:48 PM

http://voiceofsandiego.org/this_just_in/article_40b7fa80-406...

Our new fish tank was sloshing and the pendant lights were swaying here at our two story house on piers in west San Diego for what seemed like quite a long while. Hope folks south of border come out ok.

I experienced the 1971 Sylmar quake while living in a basement in Alhambra and the 1987 Whittier quake in my warehouse in Whittier and one of the big aftershocks of the Landers quake while playing golf at the TPC course in La Quinta and the 1994 Northridge quake in a second story lath and plaster duplex in Huntington Beach and this one was right up there for aprehension and excitement. My mother instilled in me a great fascination for all things geologic when I was a youngster. I still get a thrill when one of these hits but you are always wondering if this is the one where the walls and ceiling come down on your own head.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.