[*] posted on 7-14-2004 at 08:39 PM
Wall Maps

Who was selling the wall maps of Baja?
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2004 at 09:06 PM
dat be Capt. Mike

Originally posted by capt. mike
yup folks... i still have 'em! 3 make up a set and it mounts to a full 6' W by 7' H!!
1 inch = 7 miles, full color, topo etc. It's like the famous Mike McMahon map on steroids! $49.95 includes USA ground shipping. I take checks, money orders and paypal for instant shipping. e me at www.flybaja.com or PM me here, need your shipping address. Get one for your hobby room, garage wall, baja palapa - whatever! Amaze your friends, mark off your travels, find all of David K's lost missions so they won't be lost.....but get your wall map before they're gone!!!!!!

if you don't like it....send it back 'cause satisfaction IS guaranteed.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2004 at 09:26 PM

Yes, Capt. Mike's wall map (3 parts) will cover an entire wall!

Here's a less huge one (note there are lables of place names or without is available from http://www.wvvinc.com/Baja.htm )

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2004 at 09:34 PM

Or, you can get a poster of just your special area... (the details on the actual poster are better than you see here!) All are 24" X 36"

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 05:49 AM
Dave B - got your request

and am researching it but need to know to where it was requested to ship.

sorry, yours is the 1st M.I.A. in dozens of mapa giganta sales!:?::?::no::(

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

Mood: :bounce:

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 08:54 AM

David K. and others,

Thanks for your endorsement. I just wanted to let you know that I also offer a 96? x 41? (8 ft x 3.4 ft) glossy print version of the Baja Peninsula print as well. It does cost a bit more than Capt. Mike?s map. It goes for $120.00.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Got to Surf!!
Visit my Baja Satellite image art at: http://www.satprints.com
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 02:45 PM
You Know how to Hurt a Guy!!

I can even pick out my old "Rancho Sonrisa".

Way to go young man. Excellent map!!

Skeet/Loreto
Satellite Man
Junior Nomad

Mood: :bounce:

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 02:51 PM

Thanks Skeet/Loreto! I hope it brings back good memories.:D

Got to Surf!!
Visit my Baja Satellite image art at: http://www.satprints.com
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 04:23 PM

The "three-piece map" consists of three Tactical Pilotage Charts--helpful if you're into cartography or just want to know where things are. But converting this set into a complete "wall map" of the peninsula will require some cut-and-paste--plus another chart. Not really comparable to Mike McMahon's one-piecer.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 05:14 PM
Big maps of Baja........

Agree, McMahans comes as one chart but it is on a much smaller scale. i have one of his where it fits better on a smaller wall in an office. It was my second baja map after the big satellite image you could get everywhere in 1981. I got that in Cabo before there was a paved street in town.....oh, the days.....

My big baja map "assembly" is straight forward and easy. How much "cut and paste" you wish to do is up to you as to how you want it to look or where / how it is mounted. You don't have to do any, the grids are easily lined up and you just mount it, even with thumbtacks as i do on one surface like a big mural. Anyway, the option is up to the end user.

The 3 maps i provide as a set cover all of Baja and a good portion of the Sea of cortez as well as much of Sonora. you don't need a 4th map or i'd provide it in the package. If it were part of the set it would be mainly pacific ocean and add 33% relatively to the base cost.

I have sold dozens of these and:
1. not one has come back under my 100% satisfaction guarantee, and
2. Many have taken the time to write (and post) to say what a great deal/thing it is, and how much they enjoy it.
3. a few have ordered a second one.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 05:52 PM

Mike

Your map in in our familyroom/hallway

It's GREAT!!

A very good socializer....

Everyone that comes over always has to trace the places with their fingers....soon it will be worn thru!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 06:02 PM

I'm certainly satisfied with the maps I bought from you, Mike--because I'm into cartography and can use them in figuring out where things area. But a "wall map" of an area is assumed to include all of it--and the northernmost map of this set does not extend to either Tijuana or Mexicali (a couple of inches that apparently don't matter to you, but do to me). In addition, the Cape Region is detached and placed out in the ocean.

These things aren't important if you intend to thumbtack the set to an office wall, but it's going to take some doing before the set is fit to be framed and hung on our living room wall.

The three maps are a definite improvement over the 40-year-old WAC maps I have, particularly when it comes to the terrain, and I'm glad everyone has been happy with them. You can include me as a pleased customer, too--but to refer to the set as a "wall map" comparable to McMahon's implies that it is decorative, and in my view it is not decorative but practical.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2004 at 07:12 PM
Mike McMahan Maps

The original McMahan wall map of the 1960's was great as he compiled the maps drawn by Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook) and thus is was an accurate road map. He also placed all of Arnold Senterfitt's airports on it for the pilots along with proposed and new roads since Gulick's 1962 maps. Arnold Senterfitt had some great colorful wall maps, the road info isn't the best, but it is for pilots, afterall!

In 1972, Mike McMahan redrew the map and made it more 'decoration' than accurate, but it was still very good.

After the highway was finished, McMahan updated the map again. Unfortunately, the new highway location and the Ensenada-San Felipe highway location was way off in places. It became pure decoration at that point. I have one above my fireplace mantle in my living room. There's no doubt that I have Baja Fever when you come here! Small versions of the McMahan map can be found in Rubio's Baja Grills (Fish Tacos)... Mike's late daughter, Ginger McMahan-Potter continued to market her dad's maps as did her husband Chuck Potter of 'Baja Source', the publisher of Jimmy Smith's book.

I have made my own wall map by piecing together copies of Gulick's 1962 map. I prefer to edit it with the new roads than most other maps. You can photo copy Gulick's map off my web site link (PDF), if you wish.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2004 at 07:47 AM
glad you like it 'Lera

and sorry if any of my "marketing" is found to be a misrepresentation after it arrived. a few have told me they did put the time in to trim it to narrow and long, then cut out and re insert the tip, then shellac the whole thing onto a plywood base to mount. foam core works too. you are right about the very top region. that cannot be sourced at the same scale unfortunately but felt it was inconsequental to most who recreate further south. Made no sense to call it "99% of baja wall map".

any one who orders one, i stand behind the offer to return your $$ if it's not what you expected.
enjoy all.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2004 at 08:02 AM

I specially like Capt. Mike's map because the topographic and coastline detail is so good. Also, my favorite camping beach (I call Shell Island) is shown as an island... which it is a very high tides! At my Viva Baja #4 party, I had two of the three pieces (most of Baja) attached to the restaurant's wall... The wall wasn't big enough to show all of Baja!

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2004 at 10:08 PM

Mike, you might consider stressing the awesome scale of those maps, and their navigational appeal. As several Nomads have pointed out in past threads, they're great to tack up on a wall--anyone who's been even half a mile off Highway One just can't resist trying to trace where they've been. I did that with my old WACs and think maybe I'll just do the same with these, instead of fiddling around with something fancier.

It's great that you've made this set available.

Lera

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.