BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to Help the Earthquake Victims?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 09:58 AM
Want to Help the Earthquake Victims?

Well, here is a story on the Local Fox News Station

It is being led by the Border Angels and supported by the UU Church and Campesinos sin Fronteras.

But since it is being reported on Fox news, maybe some of you right leaning people can get past the politics of the organizations and donate something to help some people who have lost everything.

I have requested permission from the UU Church to reprint the photos of their first caravan this past weekend. I received them in an update e-mail, but do not want to post them without permission.

Diane

ON edit Border Angels have it cleared with Customs for the relief items, but NO USED clothing. But I have been informed that the Mexicali community has donated a lot of clothing and it is not a priority.

[Edited on 4-12-2010 by DianaT]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

But since it is being reported on Fox news, maybe some of you right leaning people can get past the politics of the organizations and donate something to help some people who have lost everything.

Diane

Great idea........but was this REALLY necessary?????....seems to distract from the original intent of the message.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Great idea........but was this REALLY necessary?????....seems to distract from the original intent of the message.

Awww...it was just a Monday morning love note to DK. :lol: [this is Monday, isn't it? Can't be sure of these things anymore.]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:26 AM

Sorry Bajaguy---but some people so dislike what these organizations are doing and stand for, that it does get in their way of participating even for such a good cause.

Dennis, it was a general remark ---if it was directed toward anyone in particular, I would say so without hesitation. :yes:

BTW---the Border Angels have cleared these caravans with customs, so no problem there. Except, still cannot take down used clothing, but the Mexicali community has donated a lot of clothing.

[Edited on 4-13-2010 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:51 AM

"But since it is being reported on Fox news, maybe some of you right leaning people can get past the politics of the organizations"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems you owe Fox 5 News San Diego some thanks for a nice report... this is not political at all...

What is the politics of the organization? How do you know if they are conservatives (pro-people) or liberals (pro-government)? Does it even matter in an emergency?

Thanks for the news link... but political hate wasn't needed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:57 AM
DK

You have requested that I not post on the threads that you start, and I have complied with your request---now, once again, why can you not do the same?

You are not going to help, you have nothing to offer, so PLEASE, please just go away.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:58 AM
Doing ALL we can

In the Universal Unitarian Utopian spirit of Fellowship and Brotherhood, I'd like to say that ANYONE who wishes to contribute money or articles of value can make arrangements to get them to me, North or South of the Border, and I will do my best to see that they're put to the best use.

It's the least I can do.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
In the Universal Unitarian Utopian spirit of Fellowship and Brotherhood, I'd like to say that ANYONE who wishes to contribute money or articles of value can make arrangements to get them to me, North or South of the Border, and I will do my best to see that they're put to the best use.

It's the least I can do.

As I said, it would be nice if some could get past their politics and religious bigotry and donate to these well organized relief efforts. But I knew there were some who would never be able to do that.

This type of thing was exactly why I posted the comments in the original post.

:(:(

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:

Dennis, it was a general remark ---if it was directed toward anyone in particular, I would say so without hesitation. :yes:

I'm sure you would, Diane. I meant nothing snarky. That's why I added the little, laughing head. :lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I'm sure you would, Diane. I meant nothing snarky. That's why I added the little, laughing head. :lol:

I know, those laughing heads cure all. :yes: Acutually, I did not think you snarky at all.

I know my comments offended some, but in this political climate, the Border Angels, Campasinos sin Fronteras, and my church have been the target of so much hate, and in other circumstances, the hate has gotten in the way of people helping others. Many do not see it simply as political or religious differences----been involved before and have seen it a lot. It is unfortunate, but this hate has accelerated and is encouraged by many in power.

So, there it is. I will say no more---may post more pictures later if we are able to go next week.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:14 AM
Offering Help.............

And being slapped ?

Here I make a sincere effort to get involved and assist my unfortunate fellow beings and it draws venom.

It appears to be a case of those who, themselves, seem obsessed by petty political thoughts throwing stones.

BUT, I'm bigger than that and pledge to do as I promise and see that any donations that come my way will go to where they'll do the most good.

You can bet on it. Promise.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

It's the least I can do.

What size do you wear? :lol: [everybody gets an insipid laughing face today....in the spirit of giving, of course]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:35 AM

I have to ask a question about Border Angels. It isn't a political question, but an inquiry into their scope of interest.
I've read wonderful things in the past about their humanitarian efforts along the US side of the border, assisting and saving undocumented travelers with food and water. Their efforts are rewarded in many ways.

That said, the earthquake carnage is evident throughout the border region around Mexicali, on both sides of the fence. Inhabitants on the north side weren't spared the wrath of nature and some are in need of assistance. It's a less fortunate region for everybody.

Are the Border Angels offering assistance to those NOB, caravaning to these neighborhoods with truck loads of donated goods, or do they confine their efforts to Mexican nationals? I've seen no mention of assistance to the needy on the US side.

We don't want to turn this thread into a political rant, but if anybody is making political gestures, it's Border Angels.

[Edited on 4-13-2010 by DENNIS]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, here is a story on the Local Fox News Station

It is being led by the Border Angels and supported by the UU Church and Campesinos sin Fronteras.

I have requested permission from the UU Church to reprint the photos of their first caravan this past weekend. I received them in an update e-mail, but do not want to post them without permission.

Diane

ON edit Border Angels have it cleared with Customs for the relief items, but NO USED clothing. But I have been informed that the Mexicali community has donated a lot of clothing and it is not a priority.

Diane, as I didn't want to excerpt your post, I chose to highlight the section I take issue with. While I sympathize with your frustration at uncalled for and irrelevant political statements on this board, this remark on your part is clearly inflammatory, a first strike if you will.

Although you make many delightful contributions here, of late you re becoming as venomous as the posters you take issue with. Generally I choose not to enter the fray, and keep my feelings to myself. Although I still read some things here, I have little to say these days, and the ugliness you are propagating is a part of the reason.

I'll say no more. I hope my remarks are well taken.

Edit-- to clarify my statement: I didn't mean to say that any one person is responsible for the unpleasant morass that Baja Nomad is becoming. There are many participants, and with this post I guess i might place myself among them.

[Edited on 4-13-2010 by Paula]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2010 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Quote:

Diane, as I didn't want to excerpt your post, I chose to highlight the section I take issue with. While I sympathize with your frustration at uncalled for and irrelevant political statements on this board, this remark on your part is clearly inflammatory, a first strike if you will.

As I mentioned in a U2U, I was not going to respond to anything more on thread, but I have changed my mind.

OK, yes, the comment about Fox News was probably uncalled for-maybe a first strike, or maybe a defensive strike, but definitely snarky.

Asking people to put politics aside was legitimate, but it could have been said in a far better manner. The Border Angels are not popular with many because of their help and support of the undocumented workers.

Quote:

Although you make many delightful contributions here, of late you re becoming as venomous as the posters you take issue with.

Delightful, thanks, but the other part of this statement is also true. I have forgotten the old consider the source and ignore idea. Instead, I have let the venom sent my way enter my being and responded with venom---overall, not a good place for me. To say I regret everything I have said would be dishonest, but it is time for me to go back to the consider the source and ignore the venom

Quote:

Edit-- to clarify my statement: I didn't mean to say that any one person is responsible for the unpleasant morass that Baja Nomad is becoming. There are many participants, and with this post I guess i might place myself among them.

[Edited on 4-13-2010 by Paula]

Yes, I have become a participant in what you call the unpleasant morass and without expecting anyone else to agree, admit, or anything else, I take full responsibility for my part.

It is time to go back and do as I mentioned earlier---consider the source, ignore, and not respond in kind, and definitely let their venom be their problem and not mine. Thank you

So, now I am definitely out of this thread----if someone wants to help the earthquake victims, so be it, but most of the people living full time or part time in Baja are so very involved in the organizations and charities in their own towns, that many feel very burned out---it is sometimes like, please, not one more worthy cause.

As of now, we will be joining the caravan on Sat. as that is our choice.

BTW Dennis, Calexico will be fine. There are many with a lot of money in Calexico and there are a number of well organized charities there that will take care of the people in need town---the Neighborhood House being probably the biggest.

Most of the stores that were damaged downtown are owned by Los Angeles Business people and they will be receiving state and federal assistance for rebuilding.

[Edited on 4-13-2010 by DianaT]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2010 at 09:25 AM
Trust ME !

Believe It.

ANY contributions sent to me for distribution will be better spent than sending money to the Border Angels aka Illegal Immigrant Border Assault Assistance League. Or, the 2U bunch.

I'm ready and waiting to go into action aiding my Southern Brethren.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2010 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How do you know if they are conservatives (pro-people) or liberals (pro-government)?

That's just so funny

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 4-13-2010 at 10:32 AM

At the risk of getting destroyed, my house was three miles from the epicenter. It did survive thanks. I will be making many trips there and have all ready dropped off stuff to many people I know that have lost their houses If you would like I would be glad to take things down if you can get it to me.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2010 at 05:25 PM
Salvation Army Helps South of the Border

http://blog.salvationarmy.org/?p=1686

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.