Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Passport
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 02:42 PM
Passport

Anyone here try to get out without a passport in the last few months? Trying to find out if I can get a son of mine thru with only his Ca DL. Yes...I know the law and Bla bla bla....no legal advisements is needed. Txs.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 02:46 PM

According to posts within the past few weeks, the worst case scenario will be a finger-wagging, or a trip to secondary as punishment.

But, if you enter and are heading South of Maneadero, or staying more than 72 hours, an FM-T is required by Mexico. They will not issue one w/o a passport. At least that's been my experience.

[Edited on 4-14-2010 by Bajahowodd]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 03:44 PM

November 2009, just before last Thanksgiving week a friend of mine crossed north through Tecate. She had no passport and presented her current California DL, no questions no problems.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2010 at 03:48 PM

People that live in TJ cross back over
to the US
with just a Birt Cert/DL, ironically, as posted,
I BELIEVE Mex IMM wants to see a
passport to get an FMT, much has been
made here about the need/or not for an fmt,
I side on getting the fmt for trips so. of
Ensenada, at the very least for the
driver of the vehicle
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-15-2010 at 04:06 PM

probably will work out OK without passport. and if it doesn't work out,... well, you will have a good story to tell. can your kid live on his own if you need to leave him in mexico? ;)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2010 at 04:48 PM

Just make sure your son doesn't have his beach towel wrapped around his head. If he's eating a greasy pork sandwich when they ask him where he's from...that will help too.
Image is everything.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-15-2010 at 05:38 PM
Getting OUT !

UNLESS the Border Gestapo has some reason to be suspicious, they're simply going to "Advise" you that you need to meet the requirements BECAUSE the only alternative to that is to take you into custody. Since you're ALREADY in the U.S. when you arrive at the kiosk, they don't have the alternative to turn you around if you claim U.S. Citizenship.

Even though the deadline has long passed, they're going to keep up the "Warning" stuff at least as long as the numbers who don't comply continue to decline. At some point, if those percentages level off, they "might" get tough, but who knows ? Getting tough is going to be tough on them, too.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2010 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
probably will work out OK without passport. and if it doesn't work out,... well, you will have a good story to tell. can your kid live on his own if you need to leave him in mexico? ;)

Funny!

He went ahead and applied at visahq.com for a speedy process...and $$$$$! The worry of "what if" got to him .

I do one again appreciate all the help.
jeremias
Nomad

Mood: Muy Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-15-2010 at 09:05 PM

I asked the Border patrol agent at the booth on my last trip back if a passport was absolutely necessary, and he said that it wasn't and that if I had a drivers license I would just end up at secondary before going on. Although, it's easy for me to say, i have a passport.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2010 at 01:41 PM

I just don't understand the US citizenry's aversion to passports. Outside of Mexico and Canada, what country will allow entry to someone without a passport? Oh. that's right over two dozen countries in the EU allow free travel across borders to any citizen of a member nation with nothing more than photo ID. But, just as they have been realistically relaxing standards, we've been headed the other way.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2010 at 02:53 PM

I read the other day that Mex IMM
accepts the US Passcard, when applying
for an fmt, at least that is what 1
person reported, I wondered about that
since the Passcards were issued.
I think the Passcard is approx $40
Mexrick
Junior Nomad

Mood: Still a bit soggy!!!

[*] posted on 4-16-2010 at 03:16 PM

A blurb came out just the other day that said that, as of May 1, 2010, passports will be REQUIRED to enter or be in Mexico. Also, the FMT is going to be replaced with a multi-purpose form and FM-3's and 2's are going to be eliminated and replaced by a stamp in your passport.

Rick - MeT
Live Where You Play
Mulegé, BCS, Mexico
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-16-2010 at 04:44 PM

why don't y'all just get passports? if you are so uninterested in the world that you don't have a passport, then there is no hope for you.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2010 at 04:46 PM

No kidding. The GWB generation.:yes:
cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 4-17-2010 at 06:33 AM

Since last June,,I came across several times with just my DL/BC.
Got the passport/passcard now though

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2010 at 07:09 AM

As an aside, about a year ago I gave a friend a ride to San Diego from Mulege. He somehow forgot his US Passport in Mulege. At the border he told the agent what had happened and gave the agent his Drivers License - I believe it was an Oregon DL - the agent scanned the DL and sent us on our way. They must have a way of checking on your passport using the DL. Jim

[Edited on 4-17-2010 by mulegejim]
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2010 at 07:26 AM
yee ha y'all

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
why don't y'all just get passports? if you are so uninterested in the world that you don't have a passport, then there is no hope for you.

uninterested in the world

There are folks out there whom decide the last minute to travel. This could be for unexpected funerals....injured love ones stranded...earthquake efforts (hello!)...or just plain pleasure travel . We all have been invited to go somewhere "the last minute", in this case...to Baja. Getting a passport within days is not a avenue that happens.

"if you are so uninterested in the world that you don't have a passport" : I'll tell my son whom has a load of earthquake relief items for the folks in Rio Hardy that he must not be interested in the world .

Again...your narrow minded slice of thought is nonsense. Concerted positive remarks here instead of nonsense....be better.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.